The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 28, 2018, 05:28 PM   #1
JERRYS.

the ultimate revolver round for.....

self defense against human attackers. not something that can double as a hunting round or use in the woods on four "legged" critters..., not something for grandma or little Jane....

I say the .44 special 190gr. LHP by Underwood or Buffalo bore seems to be [on paper] the best of power, penetration, expansion, without excessive recoil or blast.

now, while the Ruger GP100 and even the old J-frame sized Taurus 445 snub can easily handle such rounds, fair warning is given for the more delicate Charter Arms. That said, even Charter Arms guns can fire a very modest amount of this round.

what say you?
Old October 28, 2018, 09:00 PM   #2
lamarw

I say whatever you have on you at the time. The revolver I carry most frequently is a S&W Model 66-2 with a 2 & 1/2" barrel. It is loaded with .357 Magnum.

I am sure the .44 Special will get the job done even if you have to choot'em again. The same rule applies to any of my carry firearm or at home my home defense shotgun.
Old October 28, 2018, 09:00 PM   #3
Targa

.357 for me. So many platforms for the round with the ability to shoot .38’s. Cheaper, excellent accuracy, penetration, could go on and on but won’t. Yeh, it is loud with substantial muzzle blast especially out of a snub but that is ok with me.
Old October 28, 2018, 09:02 PM   #4
Bob Wright

Well, I have carried a .44 Special for some time, but then switched over to a .45 Colt. Either one, with pro[er ammunition, will get the job done, and quite well in fact.

I've never used the 190 gr. .44 bullet, but have always preferred the 240 gr. bullet in the .44 and the 250 ~ 255 gr. bullets in the .45. You really can't go wrong with either.

My .44 Special:

A later .44 Special:

Current .45:

Bob Wright
Old October 28, 2018, 09:43 PM   #5
Buckeye!

From what I have seen online the 44Spl CCI Alumium cases 200gr GD seems to be the top notch SD ammo for the 44Spl ....
I think Underwoods 200gr LWC would also be a good choice....

I carry Federals 200gr LSWCHP in my Charter Bulldog ..

Old October 28, 2018, 10:27 PM   #6
Pathfinder45

Ideally, it would be one that yields adequate power at the lowest decibels. So a 45 Colt or 44 special would be likely candidates. A 357 would be too loud, but a 38 Special might be OK. The 44 WCF and 38WCF would also be worthy of consideration.
Old October 28, 2018, 10:50 PM   #7
the Black Spot

45 colt with some of Cirillo's V groove wadcutters
Old October 29, 2018, 05:20 AM   #8
Oldman11

.45 colt followed by .44-40
Old October 29, 2018, 05:53 AM   #9
Nanuk

I would not say ultimate, maybe down the list some.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old October 29, 2018, 06:45 AM   #10
Wishoot

I have no concern with .357 or .38spl +P
Old October 29, 2018, 08:45 AM   #11
Real Gun

The one you're willing to carry, is the ultimate answer, but I like my 41 Special in concept, although when switching from summer carry to 41 Special as a winter carry, the weight feels like a boat anchor. Suspenders help a lot.
Old October 29, 2018, 09:28 AM   #12
dahermit

the ultimate revolver round for.....
self defense against human attackers.

Not having ever shot another human, let alone many with the same cartridge to enable a significant amount of data, I can only speculate and/or give an opinion that is unsupported by data. In short, I do not know. However, it seems I do remember a site (years ago), that supposedly compiled data from different cartridges as to their relative "stopping power" from forensic shooting data. It seems to me that the data and conclusions were discredited at some point. So, unless you are going put credence in unsupported personal opinions, you may have to just go by postings such as this:
https://www.outdoorlife.com/top-10-s...n-loads#page-4
Old October 29, 2018, 10:15 AM   #13
Cheapshooter

Quote:
From what I have seen online the 44Spl CCI Alumium cases 200gr GD seems to be the top notch SD ammo for the 44Spl ....
Speer loads that same round in nickel plated brass cases as well. I prefer that over the aluminium for actual carry.
I haven't had any experience with the 44 Spcl aluminum, but I did experience bullet slip causing my LCR 38 Spcl. to lock up while an inexperienced shooter was "limp wristing" the gun. Using some now discontinued Blazer Aluminum +P FBI loads. When I shoot it there has been no problem. But why take a chance.
Something about the aluminum casses don't grip the bullet as tight as brass.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old October 29, 2018, 10:28 AM   #14
WheelGunMan

.38 Special has a long respectable track record as a self defense round.
Old October 29, 2018, 11:14 AM   #15
burrhead

For me it's a 686 snub with 125gr 357s making 1,200 fps.

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old October 29, 2018, 11:19 AM   #16
Glenn E. Meyer

The ultimate round is not evaluated on the basis of stopping power alone. That is a common misconception of the Internet as it avoids the interaction with skill and practice.

The best round and gun is the one that you can shoot quickly and accurately under significant stress.

Blasting holes in jello with a big bore is fun but ...
Old October 29, 2018, 11:37 AM   #17
Dave T

There is no answer to this because every one of us is different. The gun you can get to quickly (carry mode has a lot to do with this) and deliver fast, accurate rounds on target is the best gun for you. But not necessarily for anyone else.

Put up two silhouette targets at about 5 yards and make them at least a yard apart. On someone else's signal draw from concealment and fire two shots on each silhouette. If you can't do that in under five seconds (3 sec would be better), and get good hits on target, you need to re-think your gun, your ammunition, and your carry method.

YMMV,
Dave
Old October 29, 2018, 12:11 PM   #18
T. O'Heir

There's no such thing as 'stopping power'. Physics doesn't allow it. Only a shot to the central nervous system of any beast will maybe stop said beast.
The best hand gun cartridge, revolver or not, is the one you can shoot the most accurately.
"...from concealment..." That'd be called murder in most places.
"...the more delicate Charter Arms..." Assuming you mean the Bulldog, that is a long way from being delicate, my boss in the gun shop I worked in long ago, had one. Regularly loaded with 240 grain SP/HP's, forget which, but he tried a hot 265 one time that cracked the factory grip. It didn't bother the wee, 19 ounce, revolver in any other way.
Old October 29, 2018, 01:00 PM   #19
Unconventional

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir View Post
"...from concealment..." That'd be called murder in most places.
Reading and comprehension count!
Old October 29, 2018, 02:06 PM   #20
SIGSHR

Bill Jordan said:
"Speed and power are fine but accuracy is final."
He also noted the 38 Special is the most powerful round the average man-i.e. most of us-can expect to master.
I also wonder if we need to redefine "stopping power". I think we expect "struck by lightning" or "zapped by a phaser". We keep hearing of the case of some "Terminator"-like individual absorbing vast amounts of lead-Charlie Askins mentions one such case-and I agree self defense training should be based on a worse case scenario-"overtraining" as I heard in my Army days, but how many actual cases are there ?
Old October 29, 2018, 02:57 PM   #21
D-Ric902

357 magnum has the reputation that it has for a reason
Old October 29, 2018, 05:55 PM   #22
Charlie98

Quote:
The best round and gun is the one that you can shoot quickly and accurately under significant stress.
You beat me to it.

Given the OP's example, which I think is a reasonable selection (although I prefer a heavier bullet in the .44SPC) I can't shoot a revolver well... as well... as a 1911 or my Kahr. I carried a S&W J-frame .38 for a while... because it was all I had, but I gave it up for, first, a AMT .380, and then a Colt .380 Gov't because I could draw and present those weapons more reliably than that .38. Hindsight being what it is, I should have spent the money on better grips, but the fact remains I shoot an autoloader better.

My ultimate carry piece is just my trusty 4" Kimber 1911 packed with 230grn Gold Dot Short Barrels, Honorable Mention goes to my Kahr CW9... to me the perfect balance of size and power.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old October 29, 2018, 07:21 PM   #23
Drm50

Anything from 38sp on up to what you can handle. I'm not so much worried about the cartridge as the "launcher" I want a top shelf prooven revolver. If I
am afraid for my life, I ain't toting a second rate firearm. It's going to be a S&W
Colt or Ruger.
Old October 29, 2018, 08:29 PM   #24
rclark

As long as one can hit what they aim at, most revolver rounds will do the trick. I don't believe there is an 'ultimate' round. I mean obviously it would not be a .22 Short, but certainly doesn't need to be a .500 Magnum... 9mm is what most people use (I think) where 17 rounds is probably needed to do the job (reason for the high capacity) ... <- that's tongue in check talk of course to get an argument going...

I prefer the .44 Special/.45 Colt. Heavy sub sonic rounds. But that's just me. My CC is a .44 Special Bulldog (like size and weight) loaded with 240g SWCs. I load what I shoot, and shoot what I load. For the woods, I strap on a Single Action .45 or .44 Special and leave the Bulldog at home.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.

Last edited by rclark; October 29, 2018 at 08:35 PM.
Old October 29, 2018, 08:54 PM   #25
disseminator

I would pick my SW 625JM with a 230g Federal HST +P

That is a great load in my gun and it's an accurate and well tested LE load.