The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old August 28, 2011, 06:51 PM   #176
IgnoranceKills

Mosquito Mag

I was having mostly FTF and read somewhere that it could be a magazine issue. I took apart my mags and noticed several burrs along the slots where the pin that holds the follower slides up and down. I carefully filed the slots, cleaned the mags and lubed the follower pins and haven't had as many issues.

One thing that I've noticed is the inconsistency in recoil (regardless of brand) of .22lr. I have had some stove-pipes. I could be wrong, but I feel like this may be one explanation.

Overall, I have liked the Skeeter. 90% of what I own are Glocks, so I'm not used to any kind of failures. I chose it over the MKII because I wanted something that felt like my other guns. The Mosquito has been a great training tool because it has given me opportunities to train on dealing with failures that my Glocks have denied me.
Old February 7, 2012, 12:27 AM   #177
LHopper

fix

If you file the hammer spring a little on both ends or remove the top washer, this will most likely fix the problem of the mosquito not ejecting the hulls. I filed both ends of the hammer spring with a drimmel tool and can shoot any 22shell. Now, I'm happy with this gun.
Old February 7, 2012, 12:03 PM   #178
Viper99

Sorry about your troubles with the Mosquito.

If you want a .22 that will eat just about everything you feed it and last a lifetime then buy a Ruger MkII or MkIII. They are build like tanks.

You won't go wrong with the Buckmark either.

Ruger SR22 is getting good reviews also.
Old February 8, 2012, 02:11 PM   #179
Fishbed77

Zombie thread!

Quick! Put it down! Aim for the head!

Just don't grab a Sig Mosquito to do it. Reach for something more reliable - maybe a Ruger Mark III.
Old February 18, 2012, 07:14 PM   #180
NickinMaine

Bought a new mosquito three weeks ago, even after reading all the negative reviews along with some satisfied owners. Figured it would jam on me quite a bit but would break in and I would just work things through.

Put about two hundred through it and about half had problems. Failures of all sorts. To feed, to eject, for the slide to lock back etc. Used nothing but CCI mini-mags per all the suggestoins/recommendations. It was not looking good. And yes, I disassembled and cleaned thoroughly and lubed thoroughly before using the first time. Even though I expected to work with a long break in period, I was sort of hoping to start out in a better position than that.

However, I went out shooting this morning. I had bought a bulk pack of the 40 grain federal auto match whatever ammo- knowing that it was not CCI and thinking that it would probably do worse but it was cheaper and I would be using it just to get some rounds through it to get on with the break-in period. Also, decided that since the feed ramp can be an issue that I would drop a little oil into the chamber and the ramp and thereabouts with each magazine just to keep things lubed up.

Much to my surprise, I put a hundred rounds through and only one did not eject with absolutely no other problems at all. Pretty pleased overall with that result and have no reason to believe whatsover that it will not break in fine. Quite a step up from where I was in my last shooting sessions with it.

Last edited by NickinMaine; February 18, 2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old February 18, 2012, 07:47 PM   #181
AK103K

What spring do you have installed? They come with two, one for lighter loads, the other heaver. Mine came with the lighter one installed, and its all Ive ever used, even with the CCI's Ive shot out of it. Mostly what I do use is just run of the mill Winchester Super X.
Old February 19, 2012, 01:20 AM   #182
NickinMaine

Mine came with the heavier spring installed which I think is their practice now. I switched in the lighter spring but still could not get it to work with CCI mini-mags. In other words, neither spring worked and cleaning and lubing the gun did not get me out of all the jamming either. Using the federal auto match and putting a drop of oil on the feed ramp frequently did. I dont think it is just the feed ramp. I think the chamber needs some more miles on it to break in and that ends out getting oiled as well which helps with the failure to eject, I imagine. I suspect if I went back to the cci and oiled the feed ramp that would probably work too. Dont know. And also, I suspect that as I get further into the break in period that some of the need to oil will let up a little as it finds its groove or makes one. I am just happy to have found a workable arrangement for now. Not only is gun working well, it is working well with lower cost ammo and maybe I will find that even the el cheapo ammo will work. Don't know but I am headed in the right direction now, and was headed nowhere before. I remain aware as always as everyone has said that you have to bear with the break-in period, but if you can fiddle with it and make a big gain as I did, it keeps you from getting peesed off at the gun which is always a plus.

Last edited by NickinMaine; February 19, 2012 at 01:25 AM.
Old February 19, 2012, 10:04 AM   #183
spodwo

Quote:
Mine came with the heavier spring installed which I think is their practice now. I switched in the lighter spring but still could not get it to work with CCI mini-mags. In other words, neither spring worked and cleaning and lubing the gun did not get me out of all the jamming either.
Just make sure that the spring is put in the right direction. I am not saying this is the situation but many problems have been associated with putting the spring in the wrong way.

And as stated - it is a pistol that requires lotta lube.

I know this is a zombie thread - but I will add that after getting a .22 conversion kit for my SIG 229 - the skeeter is on my list to give away to my son when he is older. I just don't see me shooting it much anymore....
Old April 14, 2013, 07:41 AM   #184
DaveJad

The Sig Mosquito NOT EJECTING, JAMMING

The Sig Mosquito NOT EJECTING, JAMMING is due to operator error.
1 Make sure the gun is empty.
2 Cycle the weapon making sure the trigger is fully cocked.
3 Place your thumb on the trigger and pull back If you have no/or little play in the trigger. Take the integral safety adjusting tool and fully unlock the safety. Follow page 7 and 8 of the owner’s manual. Turn it counter clock wise until you have Max play. Now it will operate with all ammo should not jam and be fun to shoot.
4 If this corrects your problem You O me. Get one person to join the NRA and we will call it even.
Happy Shooting
Dave
US Army (Ret
Old April 14, 2013, 11:17 AM   #185
CSG

Other than the crappy, gritty trigger, mine (which I've owned for some years) has been great and doesn't seem overly particular re: ammo. Not super accurate but fun to shoot on occasion. It's the only Sig I own and it's the threaded barrel version. I was going to buy a suppressor for it but I'm just not willing to play that game.
Old April 14, 2013, 08:47 PM   #186
orionengnr

This thread might set a record for number of times resurrected from the dead by a first time poster. I saw at least three or four, and I did not read every post.

The only Mosquito I have had personal experience with was one bought new by a co-worker and fellow shooter.

He bought it three years ago, or so, has had it to the range multiple times, multiple types of ammo, swapping out all the included springs.

He never got it to work satisfactorily.

It is still rotting in his safe.
Old April 14, 2013, 08:52 PM   #187
Spats McGee
Staff

Welcome to TFL, DaveJad!

This thread was started in 2006 by a member who has not been back since September of that same year. We sincerely hope that he has fixed whatever problem he was having at that time.