The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 14, 2018, 02:06 AM   #1
Roamin_Wade

Semi-auto shotgun protocol question

We’ve got a new employee that told some possible buyers that they shouldn’t pull the action back till it catches and then push the release button, depending on wherever that may be on the shotgun, and let the action slam closed without having a shell in the shotgun. I’ve NEVER heard that. Have any of you ever heard that this is bad to let the action on a semi-auto shotgun slam home without any shells in it? Thanks for your input...
Old November 14, 2018, 05:18 AM   #2
Nathan

Fundamentally, I would agree with the new guy, but I don’t think actual harm is being done. There is potential for some light lug battering due to this, especially in a new gun that is not broken in.

Same concept as dropping the slide on an empty chamber. It is more a matter of respect for the newness of said gun and respect for the future owner.

That said, some guns make running the bolt release and slowing the action a real chore.
Old November 14, 2018, 07:24 AM   #3
FITASC

Why they make snap caps. Similar to a semi rifle, it isn't the best way to treat the extractor
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 14, 2018, 07:51 AM   #4
dahermit

Quote:
There is potential for some light lug battering due to this, especially in a new gun that is not broken in.
Please explain why it would be any different for a gun that has been "broken in".
Old November 14, 2018, 08:26 AM   #5
NoSecondBest

I don't disagree with the OP, but I'm probably guilty of doing it a LOT. I've been shooting semi-auto's for a very, very long time now and I've probably done it hundreds if not thousands of times over the years. To date....no harm done. I've had several guns that had 50-100,000 rounds fired out of them and they still work fine. Some other things have worn out like recoil springs, etc, but nothing related to releasing the bolt with the button. If I were selling new guns I'd insist on using a snap cap when the customer wanted to do it. Can't hurt either.
Old November 14, 2018, 10:18 AM   #6
Virginian

I only drop the bolt without easing it down when I am in a rush hunting situation. And I do not have misfires because I follow the handle home with my thumb and I can tell when the action is fully closed. Been doing it that way for over 55 years. My guns, my choice.
Old November 14, 2018, 12:09 PM   #7
Drm50

I always let bolt ride my thumb closed too. I use A5 Brn and they go shut like
slamming a car door if you don't. I have screwed up in woods with pump guns
by not slamming them shut. Trying to be quiet and gun doesn't go into battery.
Old November 14, 2018, 12:28 PM   #8
T. O'Heir

There is no such "protocol". Sounds like the new guy got his training on YouTube. Having a shell loaded or not makes no more difference to a shotgun than it does to a pistol. Both firearms are designed to work by pushing buttons or pulling slides and releasing 'em.
However, it might be better for a 'floor model' in a shop to be treated more gently.
There's is no "break in" time for any firearm.
Old November 14, 2018, 03:27 PM   #9
jmr40

Letting the action close forcefully without chambering a round can and will damage some 1911's. That is where the practice comes from. How much if any damage is done to other firearms is debatable. But even if it does no harm I'm in the camp that thinks it is better to let the action close slowly unless chambering a round on any gun. Just in case.

Winston Churchill
Old November 17, 2018, 10:13 PM   #10
Roamin_Wade

Well, we had our monthly meeting and the manager, without mentioning any names, said that no customer should be told that they can’t let the action slam home because it doesn’t hurt the action. I guess that’s that. Haha...
Old November 19, 2018, 11:00 AM   #11
Winny

I've always slowed the actions on semis while handling in store, more so out of respect for the store than anything, but on my personal firearms, I slam that sucker shut with the release...

Haven't seen any issues yet!