The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 29, 2018, 05:36 PM   #1
MDF4J

Press recommendation

Hi All, new to the TFL forum and I've got to say there is a lot of good info here. A little history; many years back prior to my fathers' passing we reloaded all of our shotgun shells. We mainly hunted waterfowl and in off season we concentrated on the clays. After his passing I just lost interest and with wife, six little ones and being gone from home a lot the Mec sat on the garage shelf. Several years back my wife asked if I thought it was a good idea that she learn how to shoot a firearm? Since then she has gone thru several courses and I have to say she's dang good. Anyhow, we currently shoot 9m-40sw-38+p and 357 and I want to get back into reloading. We go thru approx 400-600 rounds per month and I'm not overly concerned in the cost savings but more into it as my hobby. I want to go with a turret press but not real sure in the progressive option. I'm somewhat meticulous and I am semi retired so speed loading is not what I'm looking for. I will get the manuals on reloading and take my time to learn the craft. I've looked at the Lyman, Dillon and Lee presses and it seems that each of those have their strong points but I really like what I've read on the Lyman. Any thoughts, recommendations, suggestions are greatly appreciated. Best to all
Old September 29, 2018, 06:07 PM   #2
GWS

400 to 600 rounds a month, huh!

On a turret that's......
Stroke 1-- Size and deprime...advance....
Stroke 2 -- Expand...advance....
Stroke 3 -- Charge...advance....
Stroke 4 -- Set a bullet...advance....
Stroke 5 -- Crimp........finished cartridge.

Now repeat that 400 to 600 times
Looking at it another way that's 2,000 to 3,000 strokes of the press handle....per month!

I'd be looking at a progressive real serious if I were you.

A progressive does those first 5 strokes as listed above, xactly the same........then from then on....each stroke produces a finished cartridge.

So what?

One more time....That's a finished cartridge every stroke after the first 5 strokes......

Or 405 to 605 strokes of the press versus 2000 to 3000 strokes on a turret every month.

It's not speed that's important, however it can be tasty gravy. What's really important is how fast you get old and worn out.

Do some research on progressives and get the model and color that best fits you......and keeps you sane. Some are harder to learn and use than others, and some are harder to keep running than others. Cheapest isn't always best....or even cheapest in the long run.

You listed four flavors of pistol.......some are easier to change calibers than others....and less expensive that way. More than a few variables here....do some homework.

Last edited by GWS; September 29, 2018 at 06:29 PM.
Old September 29, 2018, 06:31 PM   #3
huntinaz

I crank out 150-200rnds an hour on my Lee turret. Simple and easy to use. I have a 4 hole, you can do it in 3.

Don't have experience with the Lyman.

Good luck!
Old September 29, 2018, 06:36 PM   #4
CDR_Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDF4J View Post
Hi All, new to the TFL forum and I've got to say there is a lot of good info here. A little history; many years back prior to my fathers' passing we reloaded all of our shotgun shells. We mainly hunted waterfowl and in off season we concentrated on the clays. After his passing I just lost interest and with wife, six little ones and being gone from home a lot the Mec sat on the garage shelf. Several years back my wife asked if I thought it was a good idea that she learn how to shoot a firearm? Since then she has gone thru several courses and I have to say she's dang good. Anyhow, we currently shoot 9m-40sw-38+p and 357 and I want to get back into reloading. We go thru approx 400-600 rounds per month and I'm not overly concerned in the cost savings but more into it as my hobby. I want to go with a turret press but not real sure in the progressive option. I'm somewhat meticulous and I am semi retired so speed loading is not what I'm looking for. I will get the manuals on reloading and take my time to learn the craft. I've looked at the Lyman, Dillon and Lee presses and it seems that each of those have their strong points but I really like what I've read on the Lyman. Any thoughts, recommendations, suggestions are greatly appreciated. Best to all

Read the different reviews about each machine before you decide.

I almost got a Hornady Progressive but I read the auto indexing could be tricky and the primer function was a bit tricky, too.

I have a Hand Primer tool that I use for backup on my single stage.

A lot of people like autoindex function of the Dillon 650. It takes longer to change out the parts to do it than on a 550, which is what I have x 3 and a 450. I personally like to look inside the 3rd station to make sure there’s powder, and the first station to make sure the primer seated.

I have a 550 set up for 357 Magnum and 38+P but I got rid of my S&W 442 38+P. I shoot mainly Magnums. What I did before was use the same base plate since they both used small pistol primer, and I changed the tool head from 38 +P to 357 Magnum. The change doesn’t take long if you’re just changing the tool head.

I’m a physician and I do not have much time to change out things when I’m reloading so I have separate progressive presses for 9 mm (subsonic), 45 ACP, 44 Magnum and 357 Magnum/38.

I single stage my 454 Casull, 460 and 500 Magnum revolvers since I acquired a used Hornady Single Stage Lock N Load. I do have 4 different powder measures for each since I don’t want to calibrate the load if I only had one. I added a second single stage which is akin to setting up a turret since I have two stations set up in tandem which has decreased my time by a 1/3 to 1/2 from just doing a single stage operation.

I was working on getting subsonic ammo since my suppressors were coming (4 total and found out yesterday, 3 were appproved; one is still pending). Anyways, for that, since I’m reloading for rifle rounds (300 AAC, 6.5 Grendel, 308, 7 mm-08, and 223), I wanted to go in between single stage (very time intensive) and progressive (very costly). There was a sale on an RCBS Turret so I acquired that. The turrets are only $40. The powder measure was $110 total (stand set up on bench). So it was cheaper than doing $200 per tool head on a Progressive press.

This is my set up before the turret was installed as a fifth reloading station on my desk.

I didn’t even know other turrets existed until after I bought mine. Otherwise I would have gotten the Redding T4 which has gotten very high marks. But the dies, turrets, and powder measures are all very expensive compared to a Lee, Hornady, RCBS, or Lyman.

I think a turret is a good compromise and more cost effective at the expense of time. It is still probably 4 times faster than a single stage but half as fast as a progressive, theory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old September 29, 2018, 06:47 PM   #5
FITASC

Quote:
I almost got a Hornady Progressive but I read the auto indexing could be tricky and the primer function was a bit tricky, too.
No tricky at all and the primer feed works just fine.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 29, 2018, 08:02 PM   #6
BBarn

I currently shoot about 200-300 rounds per month (about half of what the OP shoots). I bought a progressive a couple of years ago and I have no interest in going back to a turret or single stage even at my lesser quantities. Others are happy loading those quantities on a single stage or turret. That's fine for them.

Currently loading 5 handgun calibers on the progressive press. I have no experience with Lyman presses.
Old September 29, 2018, 08:46 PM   #7
reddog81

The Hornady lock n load progressive press can be used as a single stage, turret or progressive press. When I change in-between calibers I usually run it like a turret press the first couple of rounds just to make sure every thing is setup 100% correct. When doing .460 S&W I size/deprime, prime, and expand on the LNL and then drop the powder off the press and seat bullets on my RCBS Rock Chucker.

I'd definitely consider an auto-indexing progressive. They are much quicker and less prone to errors given that the brass moves from station to station automatically.
Old September 29, 2018, 08:52 PM   #8
MDF4J

The thing that concerns me about the progressive is that it becomes a matter of routine and forbid the thought that I could possibly double up on a powder load...is that a potential occurrence with the auto indexing?
Old September 29, 2018, 09:07 PM   #9
FITASC

Shouldn't be; I watch to make sure a primer drops, and then focus on seating bullet.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 29, 2018, 09:11 PM   #10
MDF4J

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDR_Glock View Post
Read the different reviews about each machine before you decide.

I have a Hand Primer tool that I use for backup on my single stage.

A lot of people like autoindex function of the Dillon 650. It takes longer to change out the parts to do it than on a 550, which is what I have x 3 and a 450. I personally like to look inside the 3rd station to make sure there’s powder, and the first station to make sure the primer seated.

I have a 550 set up for 357 Magnum and 38+P but I got rid of my S&W 442 38+P. I shoot mainly Magnums. What I did before was use the same base plate since they both used small pistol primer, and I changed the tool head from 38 +P to 357 Magnum. The change doesn’t take long if you’re just changing the tool head.

I’m a physician and I do not have much time to change out things when I’m reloading so I have separate progressive presses for 9 mm (subsonic), 45 ACP, 44 Magnum and 357 Magnum/38.

I single stage my 454 Casull, 460 and 500 Magnum revolvers since I acquired a used Hornady Single Stage Lock N Load. I do have 4 different powder measures for each since I don’t want to calibrate the load if I only had one. I added a second single stage which is akin to setting up a turret since I have two stations set up in tandem which has decreased my time by a 1/3 to 1/2 from just doing a single stage operation.

I was working on getting subsonic ammo since my suppressors were coming (4 total and found out yesterday, 3 were appproved; one is still pending). Anyways, for that, since I’m reloading for rifle rounds (300 AAC, 6.5 Grendel, 308, 7 mm-08, and 223), I wanted to go in between single stage (very time intensive) and progressive (very costly). There was a sale on an RCBS Turret so I acquired that. The turrets are only $40. The powder measure was $110 total (stand set up on bench). So it was cheaper than doing $200 per tool head on a Progressive press.

This is my set up before the turret was installed as a fifth reloading station on my desk.

I didn’t even know other turrets existed until after I bought mine. Otherwise I would have gotten the Redding T4 which has gotten very high marks. But the dies, turrets, and powder measures are all very expensive compared to a Lee, Hornady, RCBS, or Lyman.

I think a turret is a good compromise and more cost effective at the expense of time. It is still probably 4 times faster than a single stage but half as fast as a progressive, theory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
CDR Glock, that's a nice setup you have...looks very similar to my rod wrapping room which is about to become the reloading room. There are so many variables involved in the craft of reloading I can see many additions on the horizon.
Old September 29, 2018, 09:23 PM   #11
MDF4J

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBarn View Post
I currently shoot about 200-300 rounds per month (about half of what the OP shoots). I bought a progressive a couple of years ago and I have no interest in going back to a turret or single stage even at my lesser quantities. Others are happy loading those quantities on a single stage or turret. That's fine for them.

Currently loading 5 handgun calibers on the progressive press. I have no experience with Lyman presses.
That seems to be the general opinion among most in choosing the progressive auto indexing
Old September 29, 2018, 09:28 PM   #12
MDF4J

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWS View Post
400 to 600 rounds a month, huh!

On a turret that's......
Stroke 1-- Size and deprime...advance....
Stroke 2 -- Expand...advance....
Stroke 3 -- Charge...advance....
Stroke 4 -- Set a bullet...advance....
Stroke 5 -- Crimp........finished cartridge.

Now repeat that 400 to 600 times
Looking at it another way that's 2,000 to 3,000 strokes of the press handle....per month!

I'd be looking at a progressive real serious if I were you.

A progressive does those first 5 strokes as listed above, xactly the same........then from then on....each stroke produces a finished cartridge.

So what?

One more time....That's a finished cartridge every stroke after the first 5 strokes......

Or 405 to 605 strokes of the press versus 2000 to 3000 strokes on a turret every month.

It's not speed that's important, however it can be tasty gravy. What's really important is how fast you get old and worn out.

Do some research on progressives and get the model and color that best fits you......and keeps you sane. Some are harder to learn and use than others, and some are harder to keep running than others. Cheapest isn't always best....or even cheapest in the long run.

You listed four flavors of pistol.......some are easier to change calibers than others....and less expensive that way. More than a few variables here....do some homework.
You make a good point GWS and I will do the homework
Old September 29, 2018, 10:36 PM   #13
condor bravo

I would recommend the Dillon 550 even though it is a four station rather than a five station like the Dillon 650. It is easier to clear a jam or other malfunction, and they will occur, with the 550 manual advance which can be immediately reversed as needed. Better control with the 550.
Old September 30, 2018, 01:11 AM   #14
GWS

Quote:
The thing that concerns me about the progressive is that it becomes a matter of routine and forbid the thought that I could possibly double up on a powder load...is that a potential occurrence with the auto indexing?
Yes it does become routine, but then many of us prep our brass first, make it pretty, uniform, etc. Some even size and prime first and that breaks it up. But still, imagine how fast the rest of it is.

As for a double charge.....we all should be concerned about that, and squibs as well....they are indeed dangerous.

I don't care for powder cops because they have to be set for each caliber.....but that's better than a kaboom. Is there another option?

Yes. Video. I bought a cheap bore scope from China, mounted it to an old sizing die, then bought a 5" video monitor that I mounted to my bullet feeder. It is big, in my face......and I won't be having either powder load problem. Cost me a little less than $50.

Works for any brand of progressive:

bore scope lens is epoxied flush to bottom of threaded .308 case remnant.
Black cover is shrink electrical tube. There is a recess the epoxy fills between camera lens and case remnant.

Screws into top of old sizer.....sizer is screwed into press, but not far enough to size or even touch a case.

.308 case filled to the neck (but not measured...this was just a test)

Below is what you see. Grey circle above the powder is the inside neck. Squib or dbl charge is obvious....in your face so you can't ignore. Powder is IMR 4895.

Last edited by GWS; September 30, 2018 at 09:39 AM.
Old September 30, 2018, 05:52 AM   #15
FITASC

Very neat set up; what RCBS press is that?
Old September 30, 2018, 08:45 AM   #16
jaguarxk120

Looks like a RCBS Pro Chucker.
Old September 30, 2018, 09:12 AM   #17
mikejonestkd

To the OP: You shoot 4 handgun cartridges, and shoot less than 600 rounds a month, and are semi retired...so speed is not your primary consideration.

I am guessing you shoot about 100-150 per cartridge each month.
Sounds like the Lee Classic Turret is spot on for you. You can easily crank out a month's worth of one ammo in an hour for a particular cartridge, then in two minutes swap turrets and be ready to load another cartridge.

My LCT is easily the best bang for the buck press for a shooter with your above mentioned needs.
Old September 30, 2018, 12:07 PM   #18
max it

Great discussion. I have been using my Dillon’s and my single stage presses for some years now. And only postulated on the turrets. I think I will stay pat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old September 30, 2018, 12:19 PM   #19
jetinteriorguy

KISS principle applies here. Lee classic cast turret will suit you just fine. First station I size without the decapping pin since I hand prime off the press, second station dispense powder with Lee auto drum, third station seat bullet, fourth station crimp. Now a lot of people use the priming setup on the press, even though I'm pretty good at making things mechanical work, this one beat me and I gave up and deprime/ prime off the press. I also do this because I prefer to decap before tumbling so adding the priming step off the press is no big deal.
Old September 30, 2018, 12:24 PM   #20
huntinaz

Quote:
Now a lot of people use the priming setup on the press, even though I'm pretty good at making things mechanical work, this one beat me and I gave up and deprime/ prime off the press.
I believe it requires/comes with a riser. It's just a washer (you probably have one laying around) you put in between the press and the primer dispenser mount. It's way, way faster than hand-priming and very reliable. You should revisit it
Old September 30, 2018, 12:45 PM   #21
CDR_Glock

Quote:
CDR Glock, that's a nice setup you have...looks very similar to my rod wrapping room which is about to become the reloading room. There are so many variables involved in the craft of reloading I can see many additions on the horizon.

Thanks. I wanted my setup for convenience. That is what I am afforded with this for my time.

I was about to buy the Mark VII automated press but then I probably won’t break even for a while (2 years) since I only shoot 1000 rounds of 9 mm a month.

My first 3 presses were automatics, though: a Dillon 550 for 357/38, a 550 for 45 ACP, and my best friend gave me his 450 for the 44 Magnum I purchased from him.

When I expanded my collection into other calibers, I ended up getting three more.

The 550 would help the OP the best since it’s cost effective, can be interchanged with calibers easily, and he has time as a retiree. I like the ability to stop my process if something goes wrong, which is what manual indexes allows me such as finding a steel case of 9 mm, getting a federal brass that uses small primers instead of large pistol primers or a 38 brass finding its way into my 357 pile of brass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old September 30, 2018, 05:40 PM   #22
MDF4J

Having watched a countless number of videos and reading reviews it finally dawned on me that there is no perfect setup and each machine comes with its own personality. My wife has often reminded me that I tend to over engineer / research before I make a decision but that's just the way I was trained... and, when dealing with a product that could have an adverse effect on life or limb you can't learn too much. I've narrowed down to Dillon 550B or the Lee Pro 1000. I know, the Dillon is manual indexing but I like all the features and accessories that are available. I've noticed that in many of the videos the reloading rooms have multiple presses and I can see me doing the same. I also like the Dillon tool head setup and the ease of changing calibers with the specific powder loader. The Lee definitely has a good rep' and isn't as costly so I'll probably end with both on the bench. A big Thank You to all, you have definitely helped.
Old September 30, 2018, 08:41 PM   #23
FITASC

Quote:
As the progressive automatically indexes, the chance of dropping a double charge aren't that great at all. They won't drop powder unless a case is present. If you are still too scared or nervous, use a powder that will mostly fill the case - any possible double charge would overflow indicating a problem.....
Old October 1, 2018, 10:48 AM   #24
drain smith

MDF4J: I noticed that you did not have Hornady in your possibility of selection. May I ask why?
If I was just getting into reloading my first choice would be the Hornady due to fact that it is five station and it has both a case feeder and a bullet feeder. Both with collators. My next choice would be the Lee Loadmaster because it too has a brass feeder and bullet feeder, but no collators. Now, my next choice would be between the RCBS Pro 7 and the Dillon 650. Now the RCBS has a bullet feeder but no case feeder. The Dillon has a case feeder but no bullet feeder. So that makes it a bit of a wash between the two. But the RCBS has 7 stations and they are working on a case feeder. So I would go RCBS over the Dillon.

Last edited by drain smith; October 1, 2018 at 12:00 PM.
Old October 1, 2018, 12:50 PM   #25
BBarn

The vast majority of my progressive press experience has been with the Hornady LNL AP press (that doesn't come with a case feeder or bullet feeder). After using it for about 2 years, I find it a reasonably good press. However, it was very slow and frustrating at the beginning. I consider the quality of the press and components good, and I believe the press represents a good value. I use it to load 5 different handgun calibers.

I've also used a Dillon RL550B a small amount. It is also a good press, better in some ways than the Hornady. The lack of auto indexing isn't a big deal for me, but I did want at least five stations and the 550 only has four.

I have no experience with Lee progressives, or feeders of any kind (bullet or case). I will say that the ergonomics of the Hornady is very good even without the feeders. And I understand that if you want a case feeder, the Dillon 650 is probably a better choice than the Hornady. From what I've read, Dillon's case feeder works better than the Hornady, and the bullet feeder on the Hornady works well with their jacketed bullets, but other bullets (especially lead) may not work as well.

Ease of caliber changeover (and speed) of the presses can vary a good bit depending on what "extras" you purchase.

I have no experience with progressives from RCBS.

Edit: In my experience so far, I occasionally forget to prime a case, and have seen 1 or 2 cases without powder, but don't recall finding a double charge so far. Generally, those mistakes happen when the process is stopped and cases are removed and later replaced (in the wrong spot) for one reason or another (such as checking/adjusting some detail of the mechanism or process). At any rate, I've always managed to catch those mistakes before placing the rounds into the "finished" box.

Last edited by BBarn; October 1, 2018 at 01:00 PM.