The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old February 14, 2016, 06:11 PM   #1
lockedcj7

Pawn shop find: No 4, Mk 1 .303

Went to the gun show yesterday and didn't come out with anything good. I did sell an AR that was redundant in my collection and then found myself at a pawn shop I haven't visited in years. This gem (?) followed me home.

I don't know much about it other than what I've read online and what is obvious. It is missing the magazine and safety parts but Numrich has most of them. The serial numbers on the bolt, receiver and barrel all match. The rifling is strong but the grooves are dark and I think I see a tiny bit of pitting. Anything that anyone can tell me along with an approximate value would be greatly appreciated.

Old February 14, 2016, 06:27 PM   #2
wogpotter

A No4 Mk1 that was given an FTR (complete overhaul) at Fazakerly (near Birmingham) later in its life. Has the trigger been upgraded to the Mk2 specs? (attached to metal hanger as part of the receiver not bolted to the trigger guard) It was imported into the USA before 1968. Any original information is on the stock wrist, but I cant read the stamps apart from the "ENGLAND" Import mark.

Its been sporterized & the stock has been heavily sanded.
With the missing parts replaced its worth about $125~150.

Possibly still a nice shooter though.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old February 14, 2016, 07:04 PM   #3
lockedcj7

Thanks for the quick reply. I only paid $60 for it so I didn't do too bad, even with the parts it needs.
Old February 15, 2016, 02:58 AM   #4
gyvel

Looks like original manufacture date was 1943 or 1945, as best as I can make out the scribe on the wrist. The stamped trigger guard also indicates the fact that this is probably a '43 or '45 gun. Maybe a close up of that date???

I also doubt that it is an "upgrade" gun, as they would be marked either No 4 Mk1/2 or No 4 Mk1/3, which I don't see on the side of the body (receiver). Additionally, there would be a screw through the rear end of the fore stock where the riveted on tie plate is.

From what I see, there is little damage to the gun other than somebody chopped the stock. This would make it a prime candidate for a full restoration to original.

Edit: Disregard the whole S47 Shirley comment. Shirley was "M47," not "S47."

A close up of the wrist markings would be immensely helpful.
SIFE

Last edited by gyvel; February 16, 2016 at 12:05 AM.
Old February 15, 2016, 09:06 AM   #5
wogpotter

You did fine for that price!

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old February 15, 2016, 10:54 AM   #6
kilimanjaro

Good deer rifle, I see the prices on sportered Lee-Enfields hasn't changed since 1975, mine cost $60, too.

You might get a pretty nice restoration out of it for about $100, stock, magazine, front bands.
Old February 15, 2016, 05:10 PM   #7
lockedcj7

I might try to bring it back to original configuration if I can find a good deal on the stock and hardware. So far all I've seen are too expensive to justify. I've already ordered the safety and magazine though.

Taking a deer with it is definitely on the agenda.
Old February 15, 2016, 08:15 PM   #8
deerslayer303

Nice buy, I would have snapped it up too. Restock that baby and return her to all her glory. I love hunting with my old Longbranch No.4 Mk1. And for Pete's sake pull the trigger and hold it when closing the bolt (on an empty gun of course), or decock it. Its just a pet peeve of mine. I can't stand to see a rifle sitting around cocked all the time.
Old February 16, 2016, 12:09 AM   #9
gyvel

Quote:
I might try to bring it back to original configuration if I can find a good deal on the stock and hardware. So far all I've seen are too expensive to justify. I've already ordered the safety and magazine though.
Search the usual suspects: Numrich, Sarco, AIM, Springfield Sporters, and especially eBay.

That gun deserves to be returned to its original condition, especially since just the wood has been bubba'd. Even if you invest $100.00 in parts, you're still money ahead. A nice No 4 can easily fetch $250+ in today's market.
SIFE
Old February 16, 2016, 02:20 PM   #10
T. O'Heir

Before you do anything else, check the headspace. No. 4 Rifles are notorious for having been assembled out of parts bins with zero QC.
To bring it back to original configuration will cost a ton of money. $100 won't buy the stock with all the wee bits that go with it. A stock runs about $70 with no metal. Complete sets don't exist any more. It's the wee metal bits that add up the most. The 3 stock bands and all those wee 3 and 4 dollars each screws.
The safety with all its parts alone runs about $25.55 from Gunparts(who for some daft reason call No. 4 Rifles SMLE's. There are not SMLE's.
The .303 British will kill any game in North America, including big bears, with no fuss. However, you must slug the barrel as they can run between .311" and .315" and still be considered OK. Issue is that commercial ammo uses either .311" or .312" bullets. Not unsafe in a, say .314" barrel, but accuracy will be poor.
Old April 9, 2016, 07:20 PM   #11
lockedcj7

After a little cleaning and finding the appropriate parts, here are some (poor) pics. I did manage to de-cock it for deerslayer303 I don't think I'm going to go looking for a stock. If I stumble across one that's a great deal, I might go for it but I'm kind-of digging the sporterized stock. I still haven't shot it so a range report will follow.

Old April 9, 2016, 07:57 PM   #12
deerslayer303

Thank you. The rifle looks great! Did ya shoot it yet.