The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 1, 2009, 05:39 PM   #51
MacGille

Guys, guys, guys, Don't beat on a good gun with a hammer. Use a press, you can get one at harbor freight for $49.00. Use a steel pusher block the gun carefully so it doesn't slip and push the wedge out. Never beat on a gun again. Promise.
If ye love wealth better than Liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animated contest of Freedom, go from us in Peace. We ask not your counsel or Arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen. --Samuel Adams--<*ixoye><
Old August 1, 2009, 06:30 PM   #52
Smokin_Gun

I'm not so sure a 19th Century Cowboy, Soldier, Farmer, or Indian carried a Vise with them ... the Colt wedge configuration was made to be tapped or hit out if need be . The mallet, hammer, piece if campfire wood, tree branch is how tha wedge was meant to be removed ... If you don't believe it, look it up on the internet... you won't see a vise listed.
Sorry but I have to disagree with you...
One good smack wil remove most any stubborn wedge.
But you have to know how to use a mallet.
It ain't Rocket Science :O)
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old August 1, 2009, 07:54 PM   #53
Smokin' gun

OK--I guess y'all think I'm dumb and crazy. Maybe you're right. My nightmare was removing the wedge from a 1851 Navy Pietta "Lawmaker" I used a nylon hammer--cloth---brass bolt----------To no success. It too only went flush to the barrel. After a day when my temper and nerves subsided---tried it again. Now I was mad! I did what I said in an earlier posting - just got a big ax screwdriver and hammer and knocked it out. The wedge went back in after greasing it and shot 12 rounds. It again was hard to remove. Finally after several weeks the spring broke off and the wedge is easy. Of course the wedge looks like hell. I think the wedge spring is there to catch on the screw so it doesn't fall completely out. It serves another purpose I 'm sure but not big time major! keeps it tight in the slot? Sam Colt would know that answer. I bet most of the cowboys and calvery soldiers had wedges w/broken off springs. The Uberties don't have wedges this tight. I have 2 more Lawmakers and don't know what to do w/um since I can't break um down for a customer. 36 c are easier than 44c on wedges and other parts;in my opinion.
Old August 1, 2009, 08:53 PM   #54
Smokin' gun

Wait--I think they might be called "Lawman"
Old August 2, 2009, 03:16 AM   #55
Smokin_Gun

Billy, once you smack the wedge flush to the barrel you make a tool like Enyaw mention I made him a few years ago, and like the Brass tool that Sundance posted. You had the right idea and did it right just use a strong but softer than a screwdiver material.

I still am usin' the one in the Pic ... ya gotta remember I'm a Remington Man that likes Colts too :O)

Last edited by Smokin_Gun; August 2, 2009 at 03:48 PM.
Old August 2, 2009, 07:30 AM   #56
EmptyHull

That last pic is awesome. My first time to shoot a cap n ball was New Years night a long time ago and the feel, flash and smell was why I had to get one. That night I was shooting a Colt AR-15 Sporter. Not as exciting as the BP pistol. Tim
Old August 2, 2009, 03:57 PM   #57
Smokin' gun

Great pics Smokin Gun!!!!!!

That brass framer is what everyone here in SC that decides to soot BP wants--no matter what anybody says bad about them they don't care. the most economical pietta brass frame 44 is what they shoot or your Remington 1858.

I still don't know what to do w/ those "Lawman" steel frame 44's that don't have great action atall. I was thinking about ordering a pietta box that fits 2--put in a flask and accessories and offer them like that. Do you think that's a good idea? Maybe $475 for the whole setw/accesso.. Or $400 or $500---dam I don't know about these boys. Suggested retail price on them are $249 a piece from Elletts. I don't like em. But they look good and got "Pallidin" Black grips. Anyone out there got one?
Old August 2, 2009, 04:16 PM   #58
Smokin_Gun

Billy that 1862 Navy Conversion ... let me know in a PM what you wanna get out of that ... I have no money but if it's a .38Colt and shoots BP loads I may have trading capabilites that you could make money on sellin'...
Jus' food for thought.
Old August 2, 2009, 06:27 PM   #59
ClemBert

Smokin Gun...that last picture rocks!!!!
Old August 2, 2009, 07:16 PM   #60
Smokin' gun

I got me a big ole heavy iron chisle in one hand and a claw hammer in the other---that wedge is coming out of that LAWMAN---get a posse real quick and stop me. But yu betta hurry
Old August 2, 2009, 07:44 PM   #61
Hawg

That claw hammer ain't big enough. You need at least a 2 1/2 lb. shop hammer.
Old August 2, 2009, 08:00 PM   #62
Smokin' gun

Hawg I wasn't thinkin clear. You're right. That wedge ain't budged. A claw hammer won't get that job done but turn a thumb nail blue. OUCH---but it'll come out tommorrow. I got a giood friend that sells industrial power tools for big time jobs. He'll get that dang thing out!
Old August 10, 2009, 03:24 PM   #63
ClemBert

So the replacement 1851 showed up today. Guess what....same problem. That wedge ain't gonna move. Big surprise, right!

I'm just gonna shoot the living crap outta that thing with the biggest loads I can force in it. That outta loosed her up a bit. The wedge will probably just drop in my lap then....hehehehe.....

p.s. Mr. Samuel Colt can still bite me on the arse as well as that gorilla at the Pietta factory.
Old August 11, 2009, 03:48 AM   #64
olmontanaboy

Quote:
So the replacement 1851 showed up today. Guess what....same problem.
Aw man that bites. Check the serial # and make sure it aint the same one
Good luck.
Old August 11, 2009, 10:15 AM   #65
ClemBert

Quote:
Aw man that bites. Check the serial # and make sure it aint the same one
Good luck.
LOL! First thing I did was check the serial number. The one they sent me is 12 units past the first problem one. Probably both of them were beat on by the Pietta gorilla on the same day when they didn't feed him enough bananas.

No problemo though. I was very tempted to shoot the crap outta the first one to loosen it up. Now that the replacement is the same as the first I won't have a problem with that procedure. And if that wedge still doesn't want to come out I will introduce Mr. Wedge to Mr. Steel Chisel.
Old August 11, 2009, 10:32 AM   #66
robhof

robhof

Did you notify them of the problem with the 1st gun? If so; their customer service dept is seriously in need of an adjustment. Man that's a real bummer. Ihope the shooting works, at least it'll get out the frustration. I always feel better after a range session, it got me through 20 years in the USAF.
Old August 11, 2009, 10:40 AM   #67
ClemBert

Quote:
Did you notify them of the problem with the 1st gun? If so; their customer service dept is seriously in need of an adjustment. Man that's a real bummer. Ihope the shooting works, at least it'll get out the frustration. I always feel better after a range session, it got me through 20 years in the USAF.
I think this is a well documented problem with new Pietta products. I did inform Cabella's customer service why the first one was being returned. As a courtesy they sent me a new replacement before they had a chance to inspect the original. This is a Pietta problem that Cabella's should have a discussion with Pietta to address it. My next purchase will most likely be a Uberti product. I do like this particular 1851. The finish isn't as good as I've seen on Uberti's but it is reasonable given the $229 paid for it....if that wedge just popped out I'd give it a 9 out of 10 on fit and finish.
Old August 11, 2009, 11:22 AM   #68
Hawg

I bought a new Pietta 60 Colt last year. A good rap with a plastic handled screwdriver popped it right out.
Old August 11, 2009, 12:53 PM   #69
robhof

robhof

Hasve you thought about using a gear puller? Pad the contact areas well and place center on wedge and tighten. They can be found in varying sizes at auto parts stores and they may even loan the tool. They can be tightened and left for awhile then additional pressure added for particularly stubborn gears or in your case wedge.
Old August 11, 2009, 01:47 PM   #70
hillbille

maybe you should drive it the other way.. seriously use a good solid steel punch if it mars the wedge just buy a new one, sounds like you will need it anyway.
Old August 12, 2009, 07:23 PM   #71
Hawg

I've got a Wilton vice with 6 1/2 inch jaws and a four foot cheater pipe if you need any assistance.
Old August 17, 2009, 05:12 PM   #72
ClemBert

Quote:
sundance44s
Quote:
Why not do it the easy way .. spend 3.99 order one of these , I`ve been useing one for years ...and it still works ...http://www.trackofthewolf.com/%28S%2...Num=TOOL-KEY-B
getting the wedge out of a Colt can be as hard as you want it to be .
Well, I took your suggestion to do it "the easy way". I bought two of those fancy schmansee brass punches from Track of the Wolf. I thought I'd share my findings:

Question: Remind me again...how hard am I trying to make this?

Gorilla 4 ClemBert 0

p.s. This punch bent on the wedge of the replacement 1851 I received since the first 1851 obviously had the wedge in too tight.

Last edited by ClemBert; August 17, 2009 at 05:36 PM.
Old August 20, 2009, 06:31 AM   #73
olmontanaboy

Have you managed to get the wedege out yet?
Old August 20, 2009, 09:21 AM   #74
ClemBert

Nope...the Pietta gorilla is kicking my arse. My last attempt was a few days ago with the fancy brass punch pictured above. I only went through that process because someone suggested I was going about this the hard way and the easy way was to use the appropriate punch made for the job.

I get the feeling from a lot of people on here they don't have an appreciation for how stuck the wedge is on both of those Pietta 1851's. Their assumption is that either I'm doing it wrong or using the wrong tools. Quite honestly, tapping it with a penny should have popped it right out.

I've officially given up on it until after I load and shoot it with max loads of 777. Hopefully that will loosed it up. I had hoped to clean it before shooting it for the first time. I'll give an update when shooting day passes. It could be a while since my shooting range is closed right now.
Old August 20, 2009, 07:31 PM   #75
crstrode

Don't use a vise or a puller

A vise or a gear puller or any other such thing is the wrong way to go.

A well placed blow with a hammer imparts thousands of pounds more force than from a vise.

Force = mass X acceleration.

The vise has verrrry slowwww acceleration, hence no matter how hard you twist the handle, the hammer will beat it (literally) every time. :-)