The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 26, 2018, 02:44 PM   #1
bspillman

Tristar Raptor 12 gauge?

Thinking of adding one to my collection. It would be my first semi auto 12 gauge. I’ve seen great reviews on YouTube n such but does anyone here have any experience with these? Thanks in advance.
Old November 28, 2018, 09:41 PM   #2
pkevinb

I got a new one just a couple of months ago. Haven't been able to put too many rounds through it but so far haven't had a single problem.
Old November 29, 2018, 05:10 PM   #3
bspillman

Thanks. I found one at Walmart for 298 plus tax n such. It’s made by a company called Kral, never heard of them. Hopefully it does well.
Old November 30, 2018, 05:50 AM   #4
eastbank

the only problem I have with any of the new line of shotguns is after sale support for service and parts in a few years. with major makers its there.
Old November 30, 2018, 03:24 PM   #5
Scorch

Tristar has existed as several different companies over the past 15 years or so. The firearms sold by each incarnation of that company are not the same, parts are not interchangeable, and Tristar will not help you if you need parts or service. They are just an importer, and as such they buy from the lowest-cost supplier. The firearms have no parts in common. Not a problem right now, I know, but how will you feel in 5 years or so when you need a part? To put it in a different light, it is a firearm made to the lowest price point by people who don't own or use firearms.
Old December 29, 2018, 10:55 AM   #6
bladesmith 1

I like to buy American for the reasons given above - being able to service it latter, or at least a big named company. A used 1100 can't be much more than a new Tristar and a 1100 can be fixed just about anywhere. But if your hearts set on one, go for it.