The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old May 1, 2019, 04:22 PM   #26
JERRYS.

FMJ in .32 acp
Old May 1, 2019, 04:29 PM   #27
Cheapshooter

I just don't like the fact that the boutique ammo companies are using the +P as if there were actually a SAAMI +P 32acp standard. Simply for advertising hype. Why not "Hot Loads", "High Pressure Loads", or even "High Performance Loads"?
The way they use +P is with the intention that it is an actual industry classification, it's not.
My suspicion is that the ammo is not actually loaded to above standard SAAMI pressure, but rather loaded to the very edge. Where reputable, major ammo companies calculate in a bit of cushion in pressure levels to accommodate some variables that might increase chamber pressure. Hence lying when the call it +P.
Either way it's advertising hype ti sell someone that wish they would have bought a more gun. But by using this "special" ammunition that can make a powerful magnum out of anything by adding +P to the name.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old May 1, 2019, 05:16 PM   #28
stinkeypete

@Cheap,
If you are saying that people use inaccurate terminology to sell more product then I agree.

“Hotter than a two dollar pistol” is just going to confuse the young ‘uns.
Old May 1, 2019, 06:30 PM   #29
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I just don't like the fact that the boutique ammo companies are using the +P as if there were actually a SAAMI +P 32acp standard. Simply for advertising hype. Why not "Hot Loads", "High Pressure Loads", or even "High Performance Loads"?
I see where you're coming from, but I still disagree a bit with some of your points.

Previous generations did call their heavy loads "hi speed, hi vel, heavy duty" and other things. Today people just say +p, and mean the same thing. Not a specific pressure, just higher than standard.

I think you are assuming you know what other people will assume, and making a judgement based on that assumption.

Quote:
My suspicion is that the ammo is not actually loaded to above standard SAAMI pressure, but rather loaded to the very edge. Where reputable, major ammo companies calculate in a bit of cushion in pressure levels to accommodate some variables that might increase chamber pressure. Hence lying when the call it +P.
You have suspicions, but you don't have proof. Stating you have suspicions is honest, and I respect that. But without proof, I think saying they are lying is rather harsh.

You think they are deliberately misleading us, to sell their product, I think they aren't, that they are simply describing their product factually, but without providing any further details, which allows all kinds of assumptions, which they have no legal requirement to dispel.

DO they have a moral responsibility to do so? I'd say that's arguable.
Old May 1, 2019, 07:42 PM   #30
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Today people just say +p, and mean the same thing. Not a specific pressure, just higher than standard.
You make my point about advertising hype perfectly. Those of us who actually know what SAAMI and +P are know it is either over accepted industry standard pressure, or just hyped up talk for absolute maximum loads.
Those that don't know what SAAMI and +P mean just buy into the hype that it is some kind of unworldly powerful super round.

All in all, and especially with a small, lower powered round like 32acp it's very doubtful that somebody shot with either will suffer any appreciably different injury, or know the difference in what ever round they were shot with.
Old May 1, 2019, 07:50 PM   #31
ratshooter

since I learned that +P 38 special ammo barely reaches what real original 38 Special ammo was loaded to I take any ammo listed as +P with a large dose of salt. I suspect a lot of it is sizzle with no steak. And I have always heard European ammo was loaded hotter than American made ammo in 25, 32 380 and 9mm.

But its really no matter to me. I load all my own except 25acp and my loads are safe but hotter than off the shelf ammo for my defense loads.

I can understand your anger at me, but what could you possibly have against the horse I rode in on?
Old May 2, 2019, 06:48 AM   #32
gbclarkson

Gents and ladies,

I think the quest to define "+p", both quantitatively and linguistically, is beyond the scope of the OP's query and deserves its own thread.

My choice for .32 is S&B, 73gr, FMJ.
Old May 2, 2019, 09:03 AM   #33
Cheapshooter

Above, and beyoun the +P, non +P, or +P hype there is the question of OAL with the BB hard cast flat nose bulket.
Just as with jhp, and the square pointed Xtreme Cavitator round, rim lock is a very real potential problem with anything but a fmj round in 32acp.
What ever round the OP decides on make sure it is 100% reliable in your firearm. That means several boxes not rounds of ammunition fired.
Old May 2, 2019, 11:50 AM   #34
ratshooter

Here is a good article on loading the 32acp. I used some of this load data to load lead 95gr bullets for my Walther PP. See the caution about the Kel-Tec and Beretta Tomcat.

http://www.hensleygibbs.com/edharris.../32popguns.htm

If you are worried about rimlock you can help that. I did it but removing some of the rim diameter but chucking a loaded round in a drill and using a file to reduce the rim size. I did a couple of boxes like this and never had a misfire. I still have part of a box left. No matter how I loaded the gun with these modified rounds I could not get it to rimlock. I tried it with the PP and the Kel-Tec I used to own.

I can understand your anger at me, but what could you possibly have against the horse I rode in on?
Old May 2, 2019, 11:55 AM   #35
44 AMP
Staff

I completely agree that whatever you choose for SD ammo, FIRST it has to run 100% in your gun.

Since selling my old Savage, my only .32ACP is a WWII era Mauser HSc.

Never had any trouble with rimlock, with ball ammo, ball reloads, or Hornady 60gr jhp reloads.
Compared to more modern designs, the HSc is a brick. However, I don't find that an entirely bad thing. It's not the lightest possible thing to put in a pocket, but I prefer a gun with a bit of "heft". First, recoil is about nil, but more important (to me), is a .32acp, a round that doesn't have a stellar reputation for excess power, and I figure worst possible case, I want a gun with some steel in it, if I have to hit someone with it.

Now, if only I could find a magazine that both fits, AND functions...to date, I've tried 3 others. One wouldn't even go all the way in, another seated ok but wouldn't let the slide come all the way back, and the 3rd simply jammed on every round. SO far, the only magazine I've found the works properly in MY gun is the one it had in it, when I got it. Not actively looking for a spare mag anymore...for that gun, a spare mag was just a wish, not a requirement for me. The gun I have is apparently enough of an "oddball" that I probably should look at getting something else if I want more .32acp "firepower".
Old May 2, 2019, 12:19 PM   #36
jar

I sometimes carry 32acp as the carry round in my H&R 732 snub nose revolver. It was designed to handle both 32 short & long and while I doubt it would last more than a few decades if exposed to a constant diet of modern 32acp loads I'm old too and likely not going to be here in a couple decades to find out.
Old May 2, 2019, 04:15 PM   #37
ratshooter

Found these at Aim Surplus if anyone is looking for a 32ACP pistol. I like 32s and these have my attention right now.

https://aimsurplus.com/yugoslavian-z...-32-acp-pistol

Quote:
I sometimes carry 32acp as the carry round in my H&R 732 snub nose revolver. It was designed to handle both 32 short & long and while I doubt it would last more than a few decades if exposed to a constant diet of modern 32acp loads I'm old too and likely not going to be here in a couple decades to find out.
Jar I don't think you have much to worry about with those rounds in your revolver. First they are undersized for the chamber and throats and the bullets are undersized for the bore. That should help keep the pressure down. I have watched a couple of youtube videos and they show the 32acp to be inaccurate when fired in a revolver. That was my experience when I tried them in a S&W model 31 with 4 barrel. They made noise but I couldn't hit anything very far away.

But use ammo designed for your gun and you should get a jump in accuracy and performance.

Old May 2, 2019, 04:42 PM   #38
kenny53

http://www.ballistics101.com/32_acp.php
Hope this link works. 32 acp, if that what you have and you like it, carry it. I would think if you were to start putting extra vent holes in a bad guy be it 22lr, 32 acp or what ever you have may not be a one shot fight stopper it should give you a chance to get to safety.
Old May 2, 2019, 08:32 PM   #39
Cosmodragoon

I have carried .32 acp in the distant past. The only reason to do it today is probably if it is your only gun or if you need a really tiny gun. In any case, I wouldn't get too hung up on the type of ammo. Just make sure the ammo you choose is reliable in your gun. Accept that you'll be carrying .32 acp. Be happy that it'll do more than a .22 or .25 and practice regularly.
Old May 3, 2019, 05:43 AM   #40
Carmady

Quote:
The only reason to do it today is probably...
I intend to use my P32 as a low recoil option for my off hand, not now, but later. I can shoot the LCP left handed, but I'm not getting any younger.
Old May 3, 2019, 05:31 PM   #41
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
I intend to use my P32 as a low recoil option for my off hand, not now, but later.
Do you mean to carry it as a secondary or back-up gun?

Quote:
I can shoot the LCP left handed, but I'm not getting any younger.
I hear that. I've been doing more plinking than anything else but I always get a few drills in towards the end of the month. I haven't tried shooting single-handed with my off hand in a few years and I've been seriously neglecting that. Thanks for the reminder!
Old May 4, 2019, 06:49 AM   #42
Carmady

Quote:
Do you mean to carry it as a secondary or back-up gun?
Yes, in a left pants pocket.
Old May 4, 2019, 07:48 AM   #43
TruthTellers

Cheap: whatever FMJ runs best in your gun

Expensive: The Lehigh Defense 50 grain Extreme Defender or whatever.

https://www.lehighdefense.com/index....tor-ammunition

.32 ACP hollow points either fail to expand or when they do fail to penetrate. There's no point using a JHP in .32 ACP, .32 revolvers yes, but ACP no.

^Not so much anymore.
Old May 4, 2019, 12:47 PM   #44
CDW4ME

"32 acp SD" ammo

A new example for the list has been proposed.
Old May 4, 2019, 02:49 PM   #45
Bill DeShivs

Gee- John Browning carried a .32 auto for self defense...
Old May 4, 2019, 02:53 PM   #46
Cheapshooter

^
Been under the weather Bill? That's all you have to say? LOL
Old May 4, 2019, 08:16 PM   #47
74A95

Recent info and data on 32 Auto:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrLcxqWsM94
Old May 4, 2019, 09:20 PM   #48
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
Yes, in a left pants pocket.
One gun is all the EDC real estate I can handle, at least in warmer weather. It competes with a knife, flashlight, multi-tool, keys, lighter, wallet, med-kit, pen, pad, and smart phone. If a spare magazine is already part of a routine, I could see swapping it out for a small gun.

If you are going to carry it in the left pants pocket, that means you aren't going to have anything else in there but the pocket holster. Have you considered an LCR 327 or one of the older S&W J-frames in .32 H&R magnum? Depending on what kind of pants you wear; it might fit, carry, and draw better than you expect.
Old May 5, 2019, 10:03 AM   #49
Carmady

Quote:
If you are going to carry it in the left pants pocket...
I forgot that I had tried a little LH IWB holster around 5:00, and liked it. It's not in a pocket, and also accessible with the right hand.
Old May 10, 2019, 11:08 AM   #50
jfruser

Guns:
2x Kel-tec P-32

Favored Practice Ammo and Secondary Carry Ammo:
Winchester 71gr FMJ-TC (truncated cone)

Primary Carry Ammo:
Buffalo Bore 75gr Hardcast RNFP

The BB load is pretty spicy in the Kel-tec, so I tested it for reliability and shoot a box per year. The Winchester load is on-par with other American .32ACP FMJ, velocity and mass-wise.

I don;t use HP in .32ACP, as it generally does not get enough penetration.

Never had issues with rimlock, even with short 60gr JHP loads.