The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old April 30, 2019, 03:36 PM   #1
chrisintexas

.32 acp SD ammo?

What would be acceptable SD ammo in .32 acp caliber?
Thanks so much.
Old April 30, 2019, 04:04 PM   #2
74A95

There might be useful information here: https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...-self-defense/
Old April 30, 2019, 04:11 PM   #3
IdaD

There was a Lucky Gunner video on 32 ACP recently you might want to check out. It sounds like FMJ might be a good choice to maximize the odds you would get adequate penetration.
Old April 30, 2019, 04:14 PM   #4
5whiskey

73 gn FMJ. Penetration is what you're going for more than anything with the .32acp. You can try having a couple HPs in the mag, just in case, but when I carried .32acp I ultimately decided on FMJs for me, personally.

Now that I'm looking, the Buffalo Bore +P hard cast 75 grainers are probably the ticket for best SD rounds IMO. I wouldn't feed most .32 pistols a steady diet of these.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old April 30, 2019, 04:51 PM   #5
gbclarkson

I carry Sellier & Bellot 73gr. fmj in my P32. I would avoid HP ammo in .32ACP.
Old April 30, 2019, 07:41 PM   #6
kymasabe

I carry one HP in the pipe, and only FMJ in the mag. I have experienced rimlock with a mag full of hollow points, so I stick with FMJ, more reliable feeding and better penetration.
Old April 30, 2019, 08:46 PM   #7
OneFreeTexan

I shoot 32 H&R magnum a lot,,, and I mean a lot...While I carried a 38 special for 30 yrs, since retiring I have shot the 32 a lot.. low recoil, so follow up shots are on target....what is wrong with that..???
Old April 30, 2019, 08:48 PM   #8
meaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymasabe View Post
I carry one HP in the pipe, and only FMJ in the mag. I have experienced rimlock with a mag full of hollow points, so I stick with FMJ, more reliable feeding and better penetration.

This. Followed by 73g Sellor and Ballet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old April 30, 2019, 09:01 PM   #9
reteach

Fiocchi fmj has always worked very well in my .32 acps. It's about $12 for a box of 50. The advertised velocity is 1000 fps, so a little bit slower than S&B, which I have not tried. So no knock on S&B, just saying Fiocchi is good, too. Boringly accurate in my CZ 83.
Old April 30, 2019, 09:58 PM   #10
Cheapshooter

Quote:
What would be acceptable SD ammo in .32 acp caliber?
Quote:
I shoot 32 H&R magnum a lot
...what is wrong with that..???
How do you stuff them into the magazine of a 32ACP pistol? Let alone chamber them.

Definitely fmj. The European ammo like Seller & Beloit, Fiocchi produce a little more velocity than the US made ammo. Other than the boutique companies falsely using the +P moniker for their ammo loaded over industry standard pressure.
The Euro stuff may well be over SAAMI standard pressure, but at least they don't use false advertising claiming their ammo is something that does not exist.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old April 30, 2019, 10:05 PM   #11
74A95

Here are some of the new bullets to consider:

https://www.lehighdefense.com/index....dge,31132-auto

https://www.underwoodammo.com/collec...rtridge_32-acp
Old April 30, 2019, 10:09 PM   #12
Onward Allusion

FMJ all the way thru, including the chamber.
Old April 30, 2019, 10:44 PM   #13
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Other than the boutique companies falsely using the +P moniker for their ammo loaded over industry standard pressure.
How is it false?? If the ammo is over industry standard pressure then by definition it is +p.

And don't tell me it can't be +p because there's no SAAMI standard for .32ACP +p. If its over standard pressure, its +p, whether there is a SAAMI standard for .32ACP+p, or not.
Old April 30, 2019, 11:16 PM   #14
Cheapshooter

^
That's exactly what I will tell you. Because the rating of "+P" IS a SAAMI listed pressure for four specific rounds. 38 Special, 9X19 Lugar, 38 Auto, and 45ACP. The boutique ammo loaders claiming +P of any other handgun cartridge is either loading their ammo above the industry standard for pressure according to SAAMI, or lying in order to use the +P rating for advertising hype. Either way, there is no SAAMI +P rating for 32acp.
Old April 30, 2019, 11:24 PM   #15
Cheapshooter

Because of rim lock those rounds are completely unusable in my P32. I tried, and tried. Nearly a whole box of them. Turned my little Kel Tec into a single shot pistol. Might be OK as a chambered round with fmj rounds in the mag, but without the Flyer Wire modification they are useless in the magazine.
I haven't tried any hollow point ammo, but I understand because of their shorter length, and bullet nose shape they are also quite susceptible to rim lock.
Old May 1, 2019, 05:19 AM   #16
ligonierbill

If I'm packing my KelTec P32, I load Buffalo Bore 75 gr hardcast. They are a little faster than commercial 71 gr FMJ, but they don't feel especially lively. I once tried some CorBon 60 gr JHP, and they were pretty jumpy.
Old May 1, 2019, 07:50 AM   #17
5whiskey

Quote:
That's exactly what I will tell you. Because the rating of "+P" IS a SAAMI listed pressure for four specific rounds. 38 Special, 9X19 Lugar, 38 Auto, and 45ACP. The boutique ammo loaders claiming +P of any other handgun cartridge is either loading their ammo above the industry standard for pressure according to SAAMI, or lying in order to use the +P rating for advertising hype. Either way, there is no SAAMI +P rating for 32acp.
You are correct. However, if BB is loading safely above industry standard to improve performance in a marginal (yet convenient to carry) SD round I'm not going to grow angry at them for it.

Wait, I can already see the consternation with this...

Quote:
safely above industry standard
Such creature actually exists. People have been overloading 45 Colt for specific revolvers for years. SAAMI hasn't recognized or authorized these loads, but they are known safe for application in certain firearms. SAAMI MAP for 8mm mauser is 35k psi, yet most components manufacturers publish load data that will reach nearly 51K psi. There aren't masses of blown up mausers laying around. This being said, exceeding industry standards shouldn't be done willy nilly. But it can, and has frequently been, be done safely.

Buffalo Bore apparently did their research. I highly doubt they would take on the risk of putting a straight up dangerous product out, especially in today's litigious society. And I don't think they're false advertising either. Chronographs exist out in the wild, and people use them. BB ammo seems to be a favorite to buy specifically to shoot through a chronograph to see "just how hot it is."

Old May 1, 2019, 07:56 AM   #18
5whiskey

sorry double post

Old May 1, 2019, 09:13 AM   #19
PSP

The round you choose may depend on the pistol you are using. What model are you shooting?
Old May 1, 2019, 09:22 AM   #20
T. O'Heir

"...SAAMI hasn't..." SAAMI doesn't "authorize" anything. They're just the voluntary standard setter for the assorted American manufacturers. If a particular ammo maker, like say Buffalo Bore, doesn't want to load to SAAMI spec, there's nobody who is legally entitled to stop 'em.
"...acceptable SD ammo..." That'd be the ammo you and your pistol shoot best. If .32 calibres were legal here, I'd be thinking Silvertips.
"...9X19 Lugar..." That'd be LUGER.
Old May 1, 2019, 11:34 AM   #21
chrisintexas

KelTec P32
Old May 1, 2019, 01:11 PM   #22
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
That's exactly what I will tell you. Because the rating of "+P" IS a SAAMI listed pressure for four specific rounds. 38 Special, 9X19 Lugar, 38 Auto, and 45ACP.
There is a SAAMI +p standard for those four cartridges. But only for those four. This does not mean there is nothing else in the world that can be accurately and honestly described as "+p".

"+p" is a general term. It covers EVERYTHING that is higher than standard pressure. Whether a little, or a lot. It is not a specific term with a specific pressure for anything except the SAAMI spec for those four specific rounds.

Quote:
The boutique ammo loaders claiming +P of any other handgun cartridge is either loading their ammo above the industry standard for pressure according to SAAMI,...
Which is what they are doing...

Quote:
or lying in order to use the +P rating for advertising hype.
Which is your assumption. IF they were loading one of those four named rounds that HAVE a SAAMI +p rating, and their load wasn't the SAAMI rating, THEN they would be lying if they claimed it was SAAMI +p.

But if there isn't a SAAMI +p rating, and they are loading above industry standard pressure, then they are NOT LYING when they say their load is +p.

Quote:
Either way, there is no SAAMI +P rating for 32acp.
True. and Machts Nichts.

IF SAAMI doesn't have a ratting for something, that doesn't mean such a thing cannot exist. ALL it means is that SAAMI doesn't have a rating for it.

I am rather fond of Buffalo Bore's attitude. I don't use their ammo, I'm not promoting the company in any way. "no dog in that fight", but I do like their attitude, as it appears to me, from a distance..

They won't tell you what their ammo is loaded with. They won't tell you what the pressures are. They will tell you if its above standard pressure, (they'll tell you its "+p), but they won't tell you how much it is above standard pressure, and THEY DON"T HAVE TO!

They tell what the bullet is, and what speed they get, and that their ammo is SAFE, in the guns they tested it in. They tell you not to use their ammo in guns that they have not tested it in. What more do you need??

People who use their ammo say its good stuff. People who chronograph their ammo say that (allowing for variations due to individual guns) their velocity numbers are spot on.

As far as I can see, there is no lying, about anything, going on.
Old May 1, 2019, 02:50 PM   #23
Onward Allusion

Quote:
KelTec P32
For the P32...FMJ all the way. Even with FMJ, be careful not to drop the P32 with a loaded mag (or even the loaded mag by itself). It can rimlock to the point of having to disassemble the magazine to get the rounds out. This has happened to me TWICE. Thankfully, after the first time it happened, I knew to inspect the mag after the loaded gun got jostled or dropped.
Old May 1, 2019, 03:44 PM   #24
stinkeypete

I have been re-reading my copy of “the complete reloading manual” by Sharpe.

This book is sort of “state of the art, 1955” which from some perspectives is “obsolete” and from others “great information that’s been lost over time” and there is a good bit of “Basic Science of how things work has not changed since the Big Bang and the history of our sport is fascinating, funny, and informative.”

One thing that’s clear is that measuring chamber pressure precisely isn’t possible for reasons.

Modern instrumentation with strain gauges and digital computers is, if not more accurate, a lot easier to reproduce than big devices that crush a copper cup.

Even so, pressure from a cartridge is not a “number”, it’s a number over time. We might focus on “peak pressure” but peak pressure of what?

Our cartridges don’t live in a vacuum- they live in the chamber of a firearm. The precise dimensions and headspacing can dramatically impact the pressure curve. The pressure depends on the gun it’s shot in.

Some guns are much stronger than others due to dimensions, design, alloy, flaws, metal fatigue, maybe some other stuff.

It’s sort of a false premise to think that any ammunition will be perfectly safe when ignited in a gun barrel. We can only improve our odds.

Two stories: when I started shooting .45 bullseye my gunsmith had been an army armorer and competitor. He was a Grand Master class shooter at Camp Perry. He seemed genuinely surprised when I asked if he would give me lessons. He thought a moment.

“First of all, grab the gun hard. Real hard. So hard you can see the sights shaking, then ease back just a little. Work on your grip strength.”
Then he said
“Say to yourself ‘squeeze the crap out of it’ then say to yourself ‘it’s going full auto or it’s gonna blow up’, then drop the slide.”
Really?
“Yah, hang out at the range long enough, you’ll see it. I’ve seen wrecked guns and full auto but no one got their hand seriously messed up. Keep muzzle control. Remind yourself it still might blow up, grip hard, relax, take your shot.”
Relax, it might blow up?
“Yah. Supervise an army range all day for 15 years, you see it all.”

Then I was reading stuff by Paco Kelly about 30-30 loads only for strong modern marlin rifles. We don’t talk about those loads here, but they were hunting loads, never intended for every day day-after-day use, and with the full expectation they would damage a Winchester and certainly damage old collectibles. I’m still here with all my fingers, but I developed my own load very cautiously. What I learned is for my rifle, I could load to max published load with confidence and then learned my shoulder didn’t appreciate even that for plinking around.

What’s the point?

Buffalo Bore “+p” defense ammo is perhaps intended for the extremely rare personal defense situation. One might reckon that the danger from an attacker is 100.00% and the danger from the ammunition not doing it’s best job is greater than the danger of a catastrophic failure.

That stuff isn’t practice or plinking ammunition. Who knows what a steady diet of it will do.. but a handful isn’t like jamming dynamite in your barrel.

Play the odds and play safe for you, your gun, and it’s never safe.

Last edited by stinkeypete; May 1, 2019 at 04:08 PM.
Old May 1, 2019, 04:02 PM   #25
Carmady

I just bought 10 boxes of these online because someone had them for $6.99 a box. Before buying I searched Geco ammo here and what little I found was very positive. They're sold out, btw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3AjuJd4QC4