The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old May 7, 2019, 02:11 PM   #26
GE-Minigun

The thing with small revolvers is it takes practice and lots of it to get even remotely good with them and 99.8% of all students I’ve had with revolvers NEVER practice more than a couple times a year. They come back looking for some help and it’s like starting all over again. Granted the ones with pistols don’t practice any more than the others, just the “relearning” curve isn’t as steep.
Old May 7, 2019, 04:54 PM   #27
stinkeypete

The Ladies project was really good in my opinion because it got new shooter to the range and more comfortable with our sport.

The project wasn't scientific for lots of reasons. First of all, no hypothesis was proposed to verify or refute. That is, they could have said "We think women prefer .380 over 9mm" then set up a study to see if that was true or false. Asking questions without a goal is fun and informative, but not scientific.

Here are some things to think about when talking about how pistols scored on the project:

Look at the 22 questions used to score the pistols
https//www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2017/9/8/results-american-rifleman-ladies-pistol-project-ii-concealed-carry-pistols/

Some of the 20 questions are
"I can manipulate the slide stop lever and lock the action open"
"The slide stop lever is easy to operate"
"The external safety is easy to manipulate"

How would you answer these for a revolver? That's 15% of the test's score right there, unless the people doing the tabulation gave the revolvers a pure "yes" because it can't be answered for a revolver.

Looking at the questions you'll see that light, easy to operate guns with small grips and low recoil are going to score very well. There was no question like "I feel this gun has a lot of power" but there was a question about shooting accurately.

They did not have a question "I did not have any malfunctions with this gun."

In my opinion, the M&P .380 is a very desirable range gun for people that do not have big big hands. It looks like fun!

The pistols were chosen based on something one might chose for concealed carry, but tested based on ease of use at the range, fitting small hands, accuracy, weight and ease of use.

Women have the "purse carry" option, so the larger size of the "winning" pistols isn't a factor.

If one decides that .22 caliber is an option for concealed carry, I think that something like the Walther P22 could have won, based on the questions asked.

All of that is not to say that I do not want a .380 EZ for myself as a little sporting gun.
Old May 7, 2019, 10:31 PM   #28
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
The Ladies project was really good in my opinion because it got new shooter to the range and more comfortable with our sport.
The shooters had a range of experience. Some were new, but others were experienced shooters.
Quote:
The project wasn't scientific for lots of reasons.
Right. The article on the first LPP states that explicitly:
"It is important to understand what the Ladies Pistol Project was and what it was not. First and foremost, it was not a scientific study. "
Its intent was stated in the third article, by one of the two persons running the test: "This project is meant to give you a starting point."

It provides opinion based information from a number of shooters in a particular demographic that may be useful to other shooters who fit that same demographic.