The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old November 11, 2016, 04:23 AM   #1
Bartholomew Roberts

How to Modify a Sppressed 22/45 to Make It Quieter?

Ok, I've got a 22/45 with a Sparrow suppressor - which is already enormously fun and very quiet. Part of me wonders if there is some way to reduce action noise even further though given the huge aftermarket for Ruger .22's. So any suggestions (I'm aware of various ammo options, so I'm mainly focusing on pistol modifications)?
Old November 11, 2016, 07:41 AM   #2
Mobuck

First: you can make things much quieter by using subsonic ammo. With the shorter pistol barrels most 22 ammo is subsonic anyway so there's not much actual loss of velocity. The HV ammo is simply blowing a lot of gas out the muzzle w/o gaining much.
I'm running a Form 1 can on a 4" 22/45 and it's just as quiet as a Sparrow with subsonic ammo but doesn't compare when HV ammo is used.
Second: you can actually hold the bolt closed with your support hand thumb(especially with subsonic ammo). I've held the bolt closed with HV but it gets tedious.
Your other option is using the can "wet" if it's recommended by the manufacturer. I tried this ONCE and would only do this if I absolutely had to abate the "first round pop".
Old November 11, 2016, 08:02 AM   #3
Willie Lowman

I looked into this a few years ago. There were people experimenting with notching little neoprene pads to the bolt or chamber face to stop action noise. Of course this caused a handful of other problems.

Changing ammo can lower the report of a 22/45.

But the best improvement I got was when I took the can off the 22/45 and put it on my 10/22.
Old November 11, 2016, 12:57 PM   #4
Theohazard

Mobuck beat me to it, but I'll add that I do it too: Sometimes I use my thumb to hold the bolt closed in order to make it even quieter.

This actually works on my Glock 19 also, and it requires about the same amount of pressure since the Glock is locked-breech and the Mk III is blowback.
Old November 12, 2016, 10:25 AM   #5
MadDawg

Subsonic ammo- ammo below 1100 FPS.. I use standard velocity ammo all the time... As I do hear first round pop some, I am considering putting the first round in being a non-cycling .22LR Quiet ammo.. Might try water too. At the range, I'll shoot HV; at home, CCI standard velocity...

You might consider a different can, especially when it comes to FRP. https://youtu.be/hiWBaizCf3Y
I find the video amusing... I wish that they'd do a similar test for other than FRP... I had listened to other videos concerning FRP, and to me, it seemed that the Dead Air Mask HD did a better job than the Spectre II.. Looking at Silencerco's site today, it seems that they now rate the Sparrow for more calibers than before.

Does anyone know about how much water to put in a rimfire can ? How do you meter it ? It certainly isn't in the manual..
Old November 12, 2016, 10:28 AM   #6
Crunchy Frog

I have a .22/45 and a GSG1911-22 as my pistol suppressor hosts. The Ruger has more action noise regardless of the ammo used. I've just accepted that as an attribute of the design.