The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old May 13, 2019, 10:27 PM   #1
cw308

Made me a pistol rest

Turned out to be a nice project . I have two blown out rotator cuffs so shooting even with two hands is painful and now I can see how accurate my pistol and reloads are . Before my groups were the size of a softball , with the rest there the size of a quarter . Now I'm a pistol benchrest shooter . I like working with wood makes a nice project and if you want you can make it a Mona Lisa . How many shoot handgun with a rest , best way to tighten up your groups .

Chris
Old May 13, 2019, 10:38 PM   #2
TXAZ

Picture please!
Old May 13, 2019, 11:03 PM   #3
Doyle

I used to participate on a forum you might want to check into called Specialty Pistol. Lots of bench-rest pistol shooters here. Some get serious about the 1000yd gong shoots.
https://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/...Y&s=9066056864
Old May 14, 2019, 05:47 AM   #4
Russell P

Got a pic cw308?

I am interested.
Old May 14, 2019, 02:19 PM   #5
cw308

Russ
I don't know how to post a picture but I can tell you easier I'm sure . I used a 1x5 8" long piece of wood for the base , installed adjustable feet on the corners to adjust for distance . The front rest is also 1x5 but I cut a U shape the hight of the pistol held in position . At the bottom inside I installed a hinge to attach to base and allow to fold closed on the base . On the outer side of the rest at the bottom I attached a window latch to lock the rest in position . Across the raw edge at the top of the rest and into the U cutout I glued a piece of leather to protest the pistol . I shoot with the trigger guard pressed into the rest and the cover on the frame in the U cutout . I have a strip of leather on both sides of the trigger guard attached to the rest to help hold the pistol in position . The pistol should be able to stand in position on the rest . Making the rest was as much fun as shooting with it . Give it a try .

Chris
Old May 14, 2019, 04:23 PM   #6
Ricekila

PICS ! You know the rules --

Μολών Λaβέ
Old May 15, 2019, 08:30 PM   #7
OneFreeTexan

Cw308..I understand what you hav done, and think it’s a great idea... I’m going to try it. For some of my handguns...Sure beats the price of a Ransom rest,,,, and we can make them to fit any gun we wish.
Old May 16, 2019, 11:14 AM   #8
Cheapshooter

Caldwell Pistolero rest and a couple pieces of furring strip. Thirty bucks and done!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=joQbnP-YN68
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old May 17, 2019, 07:02 PM   #9
cw308

OneFreeTexan
I'm making another for a shooting friend that has a flinching problem . I think I'm going to make myself another one this time out of oak , pick a nice stain and polyurethane . I'm shooting also with Crimson Trace Laser Grips so I drill a hole on the lower right side of the U cutout in line with the laser . Mine is set up for a 1911 . Everytime I make a rest I add little improvementsat , at this point the pistol can almost shoot on it's own and hit the target. Hope you enjoy making the rest as much as I did .

Chris
Old May 17, 2019, 07:55 PM   #10
Cheapshooter

Wouldn't pics be nice.
If there are no pictures it didn't happen!
Old May 18, 2019, 10:51 AM   #11
cw308

Cheapshot
Don't know how yet , when my kids or grandkids come over I'll have them show me . I know a picture would be nice , I did go through how I made it and what I used but for sure a picture is worth a thousand words . Hopefully the next time I'll send one.

Chris
Old May 18, 2019, 11:09 AM   #12
Cheapshooter

Reread your description. I understand the vertical part that folds for storage, and locks in place. I am assuming then the butt of the gun just sits on the base. No clamps to secure it like a Ransom Rest. Not quite clear on the leather strips at the trigger guard. Are they then tied through the guard to hold the gun in place?
Old May 21, 2019, 08:00 AM   #13
cw308

Cheapshot
Yes , the two vertical strips of leather are glued in place and position on both sides of trigger guard keeping pistol in place , I'm shooting with CT Laser Grips so I drilled a hole to the lower right for the laser , the leather strips position the pistol in the same position and adds in keeping the pistol steady . You can also add a pad at the base of the pistol , will be adding one on my next rest , I look at it like reloading , everything has to be close to exact as possible . Keeping the pistol in the same position is just as important when shooting for accuracy . Hope this helped .
PS: My rest will only work for the a specific handgun .

Chris

Last edited by cw308; May 21, 2019 at 08:08 AM.
Old May 21, 2019, 11:32 PM   #14
Cheapshooter

OK, so as I understand the leather strips aren't straps to hold the gun down, but rather thick, and wide guides to hold it in an upright position.
Old May 22, 2019, 07:57 PM   #15
cw308

Cheapshot
Yes , about as thick as the trigger guard , the base of the handgrip flush with the magazine is on a angle because I have the slide and cutout parallel to the base . I'm trying a wedge under the grip will add in keeping the pistol ( Colt 1911 government model ) steady. Tomorrow's my range day , will be testing 45acp with those Federal cases with the small pistol primers using the same load .
Old May 23, 2019, 01:24 PM   #16
cw308

Pretty happy with the groups . Testing small pistol primers in the 45 ACP FC brass , and the large pistol primers , both CCI . No difference with POI , using the rest and laser red Dot sights groups measured 1.5 from 10 to 30 yards , even at 7 yards the POI hardly changed . So from 7 to 30 yards the bullet hits where the red dot is , pretty happy with that .
Old May 29, 2019, 05:55 PM   #17
kenny53

cw308
I had no rotator cuff left. My shoulder replacement last September was not as bad as everyone said it would be. I have no pain now. It was months before I was allowed to shoot rifles. But I would do it again if needed.
Old May 30, 2019, 03:11 PM   #18
cw308

Kenny
I'm glad things worked out , you must have had rough times to go through shoulder replacement , it's amazing what they can do now . I've been living with these shoulders for many years , as long as I do things shoulder level it's livable , above that I pay the price . I'm into benchrest shooting 308 caliber with no issues but shooting free hand pistol shooting it's painful , shooting with the rest is enjoyable . When it comes to surgery , I'm ball less , would take alot to go under the knife . Your a better man the me . Thanks for chiming in . Stay Well .

Chris