The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old December 12, 2015, 08:08 PM   #51
jmr40

Quote:
A light attached to your gun just tells them where to shoot
This is irrelevant to home defense. If you're trying to sneak up on someone in the dark to kill them it might be an issue. If you're a cop trying to approach undetected maybe. But in a home defense situation none of those apply. You aren't trying to make an arrest.

If turning on the light alerts an intruder to your presence and they leave, mission accomplished. If you have enough light to see them, they already have enough light to see you. And once the weapons light is pointed at an intruder it will blind them and they won't be able to see you anyway. Assuming of course you are using one bright enough. I wouldn't waste my time with one that was not.
Old December 12, 2015, 09:22 PM   #52
Snyper

Quote:
This is irrelevant to home defense. If you're trying to sneak up on someone in the dark to kill them it might be an issue. If you're a cop trying to approach undetected maybe. But in a home defense situation none of those apply. You aren't trying to make an arrest.
Giving away your position to a threat is hardly "irrelevant" since they may be intent on harming you

Quote:
If turning on the light alerts an intruder to your presence and they leave, mission accomplished. If you have enough light to see them, they already have enough light to see you.
No, that isn't always the case. It's just manipulating a scenario to fit your argument.

Quote:
And once the weapons light is pointed at an intruder it will blind them and they won't be able to see you anyway. Assuming of course you are using one bright enough. I wouldn't waste my time with one that was not.
Most everyone in favor of weapon lights said you don't point at the target before it's identified.

There are too many assumptions going on to make it all work.
Old December 12, 2015, 09:29 PM   #53
Snyper

Quote:
HOW do you KNOW that? To the degree needed to take a life?

Teenage daughters "friend" sneeking in/out. Drunk neighbor in the wrong house. The list of mistaken identity events can go on and on.

Without ADEQUATE light on the issue this is a tragedy about to happen.

Having attended a number of highend low-light classes and worked with weapons mounted lights alot, id rather have it and not need it..then need it and not have it.
I know that because I know who is in the house all the time, and who should be in the house, as well as the fact that there is always enough light to tell who is there

It's simple planning, not magic.

Why would you assume there isn't "adequate lighting" or that a drunk neighbor could just walk right in?
Is your security that lax?
Mine in not

It sounds like your "high end classes" didn't teach you how to set up the proper defenses at all.
Old December 12, 2015, 10:17 PM   #54
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyper
...It sounds like your "high end classes" didn't teach you how to set up the proper defenses at all.
Or you imagine that your security is much better than it actually is. If you're satisfied, whether or not you're actually correct doesn't matter to us. It won't be our problem.

However, it also appears that since you are so sure of yourself you don't have anything useful to contribute to the discussion.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old December 12, 2015, 11:29 PM   #55
Sharkbite

Quote:
or that a drunk neighbor could just walk right in?
Unfortunately, you just dont get it. Those of us that have spent our lives learning, mastering, teaching and working beside a gun, understand that these events do not happen under ideal circumstances.

It may not be pitch dark in your house at night but i would bet that at 2am its too dark to POSITIVELY identify what is in that persons hands. And again i say that in order for me to be MORALLY right in shooting them, i need to absolutely id them as a threat. Not just someone i didnt know was in the house or even someone intent on burglarizing my home.

Stealing my TV is not enough cause for ME to kill someone. That's what insurance is for. If they pose a threat, then i will shoot. If not maybe (just like a cockroach) they will run when the light goes on.
Old December 12, 2015, 11:59 PM   #56
Frank Ettin
Staff

Starting to lose focus on the question presented by the OP. That question has been pretty well discussed.

I'll close this before it becomes a donnybrook.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Closed Thread