The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 14, 2013, 10:26 PM   #51
allaroundhunter

Re: Administrative Reload

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Pfleuger View Post
My life is easy. Glock, external extractor aka "Loaded Chamber Indicator". It's a bump. No bump, no bang bang.
Glock 19 Gen 2. External extractor aka, not a loaded chamber indicator.

Press check.
Old July 14, 2013, 11:09 PM   #52
Jim243

Loaded Chamber

Empty Chamber

Only thing I need to press is my pants.

Jim
Old July 16, 2013, 03:11 AM   #53
MarkDozier

Quote:
Allow the index finger to drop down into the space between the end of the barrel hood and the breech face. If there was a round in the chamber, you will feel it.

Sorry Frank, but that is the silliest thing I have seen you write. I am not sticking my finger into a partial open slide. I don't want to be slide bit in any fashion.

My press check is done when before I holster my weapon in the morning.
I always drop my mag. empty my chamber, inspect and lube my pistol if needed then chamber a round, drop the mag top off, load and holster.
Old July 16, 2013, 11:44 AM   #54
SgtLumpy

Like Mark, I'm not sticking my finger into the chamber of an auto. Bolt action rifle, maybe. But even then, I'm ending up with an oily finger. Which I don't care to then gunk up my gun with.

My Baretta has an external extractor.

Sgt Lumpy
Old July 16, 2013, 10:09 PM   #55
btmj

So forgive me for asking, but after reading this thread from start to finish, I still don't know what an administrative reload is...
Old July 16, 2013, 10:30 PM   #56
allaroundhunter

Re: Administrative Reload

Quote:
Originally Posted by btmj View Post
So forgive me for asking, but after reading this thread from start to finish, I still don't know what an administrative reload is...
Reloading before going to slide lock.
Old July 16, 2013, 11:16 PM   #57
Dwight55

Quote:
The concept is that if/when there is a lull or a time out in the battle, . . . you grab a full mag and replace the partial mag in your weapon with the full one.

Then you have a full mag with which to continue the battle, . . . and you somehow have to find a place to put the partial, . . . so you don't lose it, . . . but at the same time, . . . not confusing it with others you may have that ARE fully loaded.

I personally don't see it as a concept that most CHL people should ever concern themselves with, . . . being in Fallujah, . . . yeah, . . . Cleveland, . . . nahhhhhh. If you are doing an admin reload in Cleveland, . . . with a hand gun, . . . nahhhhhh.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old July 19, 2013, 12:05 PM   #58
Stevie-Ray

I don't do press checks generally, but I have done them in the past. I know my 1911 is always loaded, as it's my EDC and is kept cocked and locked. I also know both my Glocks are loaded at a glance, as the triggers are forward, and being as though they are carry weapons for specific times, I keep these always loaded and charged as well.
I have done press checks on my Colt Mark IV and my Delta Elite, whenever I pulled them from the safe, but I no longer keep either of them loaded, so there's no need.