The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 6, 2013, 09:38 PM   #1
KMAX

DA/SA Rifle?

One of the things that I like about DA/SA semi auto pistols is that a round can be chambered and the hammer lowered, then fired simply by pulling the trigger. Are there or have there been any semiautomatic rifles with this type of trigger mechanism. I have seen rifles and carbines with revolving cylinders and hammers, but do not know if they are da/sa or sao, but have never seen a DA/SA hammer fired semiautomatic rifle. I wouldn't particularly want one, just curious.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!

Last edited by KMAX; September 6, 2013 at 10:00 PM.
Old September 9, 2013, 10:36 AM   #2
Willie Lowman

Unless you count the kits that turn a pistol into a carbine like the Roni.

I think the Specter M4 submachinegun had a double action trigger.

That's all I can think of.
Old September 9, 2013, 11:22 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

That's a really interesting question...

Off the top of my head I can't think of one.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 9, 2013, 02:30 PM   #4
KMAX

I found a small article on a Pitcher Automatic Rifle. It appears to be hammer fired, but I could not determine if it was DA/SA or SAO. It was an oddity that never went into production.

Old September 11, 2013, 06:30 AM   #5
Mobuck

A rifle is normally meant to be a more precise bullet delivery system than the typical handgun. DA or DAO is not the most accuracy producing method of firing. DAO rifle would defeat the primary purpose/advantage of using a rifle. IIRC, there were some "police type" shotguns that had a DA(ish) trigger pull so the fuzzies didn't get confused and light off their shotgun prematurely.
BTW "Revolverish" rifles were an expedient solution to a production issue of the late 1800's and were neither effective nor prudent(just my opinion).
Old September 11, 2013, 09:01 AM   #6
Molasses

I've been giving the odd spare moment to thinking about this...

Aside from some revolving carbines, nothing comes to mind.

There were automatic rifles/light machine guns that used assorted ways to pull the trigger to select for semi and full auto, but that isn't what you're looking for.

There's Blaser; they've used a hammer-shaped cocking piece (that's pushed forwards) to compress the firing pin spring, and have a "decocking button" to release it. With their single-set trigger having two modes of fire, that's about as close of a modern rifle as I can come up with and it isn't even within miles of meeting the criteria.

There was the Remington Keene bolt action with a cocking piece/cocking indicator on the rear of the firing pin that looked and acted like a hammer, but the trigger action was quite normal (other than provision so it could be set up to drop to "half cock" whenever the bolt was worked, needing to be thumb cocked for each shot).

I'm thinking that if you find anything, it'll either be a safety feature on some kid's gun designed in the first half of the 1900s or(more likely) some weird old design from the 1800s that the maker thought would take the shooting world by storm, but didn't.
Old September 13, 2013, 11:46 AM   #7
tahunua001

I don't see any reason why you would want a DA/SA rifle.
you have two separate trigger pull weights meaning that you have two different levels of accuracy. I have seen very few rifles with 12 pound triggers and nobody I know would want one with a trigger that heavy. the SA would be right in line with a lot of factory hunting rifles but 5-7 pounds is hardly a good trigger in itself in regards to rifles.

I guess it would be something different but you would need some method of recocking the hammer which means something is flying back right towards your face. you think beretta bite sucks when it gets your thumb? wait till you slice off a chunk of your nose.
Old September 13, 2013, 03:43 PM   #8
handlerer2

What about the Taurus Judge? I seem to remember seeing on Youtube , a demonstration of a 45lc long DA. Maybe I dreamt it, anybody else seen this?
Old September 13, 2013, 03:47 PM   #9
Beretta686

I can't imagine a purpose for one, but that doesn't mean someone won't find it.

I scoffed at why someone would ever want a camera on their phone and now I'm like a Japanese tour group with my cell phone.

Quote:
IIRC, there were some "police type" shotguns that had a DA(ish) trigger pull so the fuzzies didn't get confused and light off their shotgun prematurely

Mossberg still makes them. I think it's silly and unnecessary, but someone is buying them.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Old September 13, 2013, 04:24 PM   #10
FrankenMauser

I can't think of a single semi-auto rifle that fits.
The only thing close would be the aforementioned revolving carbines/shotguns.

Even the oddities I can think of, like the Pedersen device, don't fit the bill.
Old September 13, 2013, 06:45 PM   #11
James K
Member In Memoriam

The term "double action" comes from the type of trigger that allows the gun to be cocked and fired with one motion - two actions, hence a "double" action, as opposed to a "single action" where pulling the trigger performs only one action, firing the gun, with the cocking being done separately.

So a DA rifle would not have to have a hammer, only a trigger that would both cock and release the firing mechanism. I can envision such a thing, but for several reasons the mainspring (firing pin spring) of a rifle is usually much stiffer than that of a revolver and beyond the strength of most trigger fingers. (Think retracting the firing pin on a Mauser 98 using only the index finger.)

So it is a lot better to cock a rifle's firing pin by the same mechanism (manual or automatic) that is used to load the rifle rather than using the trigger.

That being said, I know of no double action rifles or shotguns (other than those adapted from DA revolvers).

Jim
Old September 14, 2013, 12:06 AM   #12
FrankenMauser

Quote:
That being said, I know of no double action rifles or shotguns (other than those adapted from DA revolvers).
There is the Striker 12 shotgun. But... it's not a rifle.
Old September 14, 2013, 02:19 PM   #13
KMAX

Quote:
I guess it would be something different but you would need some method of recocking the hammer which means something is flying back right towards your face. you think beretta bite sucks when it gets your thumb? wait till you slice off a chunk of your nose.
Quote:
I'm thinking that if you find anything, it'll either be a safety feature on some kid's gun designed in the first half of the 1900s or(more likely) some weird old design from the 1800s that the maker thought would take the shooting world by storm, but didn't.
I sort of figure that if such a gun had been made both of these comments would be very applicable. I have seen some weird designs so I figure somebody must have tried this at some time, probably many years ago.