The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 16, 2012, 08:18 PM   #1
ScotchMan

Ruger SR9c Peening

Posted this in another thread, but now that the gun is going back to the factory, I wanted to start a new one. I always like to document these things, because I find them the most useful when I am researching a new purchase.

History: SR9c first gun, had to go back after 300 or so rounds for trigger failure to reset. They replaced parts with stronger ones, has been rock solid since. I have just about 1,400 rounds through the gun at this point without any malfunctions of any kind.

Lately, I've noticed what people refer to as "peening," or the metal of the barrel peeling or chipping as a result of coming in contact with the slide. If you look at the top of the SR9c...

...you notice the slide is almost flush with the barrel. What happens is when the slide returns to battery, the top of the barrel can rub against the ejection port in the slide, until the following occurs:

My research on the topic has returned just about a 50/50 split between "this is a problem and not normal wear" and "Rugers are built so tight for their phenomenal accuracy that this will happen and is totally normal and a sign of an awesome gun." I found more of the latter on the Ruger-centered forums. But, for every person taking sandpaper to their slide to smooth it out, I found another who was told my Ruger to send it in and had their barrel replaced.

I did my due diligence and sent the above pictures to Ruger. They sent me a return label to send the gun in, but did not say whether or not there was an issue. Just that they wanted to see the gun. So, send it in I shall! I will post any and all updates to this thread. Maybe someone will benefit from reading about my experience in the future.

Average turn around was quoted to be 10-15 days.
Old April 16, 2012, 09:14 PM   #2
tahunua001

scotchman,
I just broke out my SR9c which has just hit it's 1000 round mark the other day. I am seeing no peening or deformations of any kind in mine. it has never failed me once and I've shot everything from double charges to near-squibs so you may have just gotten a nasty gun. I hate it when someone gets dealt a bad hand, I hate it more when it happens to someone that got a highly recommended model that I am happy to vouch for.

now to take this a different direction. if you've ever looked inside a hipoint. they make that peening look streamlined in comparison and yet they always seem to go bang. I would say that even though that is well beyond the realm of normal wear, the level of damage still should not affect reliability. I would recommend a thoughough cleaning(including the use of compressed air) to clean out any metal fragments that may be present and lubing it a bit heavier and see if the peening continues to get worse. if it doesn't I wouldn't worry about it as this is currently your only concealed carry option(unless I missed something in your other posts) and having your only CCW at the factory for repairs sucks. if it does then you may have no other option but to send it back to ruger.
Old April 16, 2012, 09:49 PM   #3
ScotchMan

I have a Walther PPS I've been carrying for the last couple weeks while sorting out this SR9c issue. I also just got a great deal on a Gen4 G26 which should be arriving some time this week. So I'm not hurting for CCWs.

I'm more than happy to send it back and let Ruger take their time with it. I kind of rushed them last time when it WAS my only carry piece, so this time I'm going to be easy.
Old April 17, 2012, 12:47 AM   #4
Mosin44az

I had some peening on my P95 a few years ago, between the barrel lug and the camblock. The gun was functioning perfectly, but I was a bit concerned about the peening wear and sent it in to Ruger. Came back with a new barrel and camblock, no questions asked.

Great company, they will take care of you.
Old April 17, 2012, 12:51 AM   #5
labhound

I've owned two SR9's and currently have just one of them. Never had any peening issues with either one. Just out of curiosity, what brand and type of ammo do you normally shoot in your SR9c. Just wondering if some peening issues might be ammo related.
Old April 17, 2012, 12:03 PM   #6
tahunua001

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, what brand and type of ammo do you normally shoot in your SR9c. Just wondering if some peening issues might be ammo related.
not to start bumping heads and hi-jacking but I really don't see how a particular type of ammo could cause peening on the top of the barrel where the barrel meets the slide. even particularly hot loads would fail to cause this as the additional recoil would hit it's apex at the bottom of the barrel where the guiderod/spring assembly makes contact.
Old April 17, 2012, 12:20 PM   #7
drail

That is a timing problem and Ruger needs to fix it. Do not continue to shoot it. Just because a gun that exhibits peening of the lug continues to "go bang" does NOT mean there is not a problem. At some point it's going to lock up and be seriously damaged.
Old April 17, 2012, 01:39 PM   #8
labhound

Quote:
not to start bumping heads and hi-jacking but I really don't see how a particular type of ammo could cause peening on the top of the barrel where the barrel meets the slide. even particularly hot loads would fail to cause this as the additional recoil would hit it's apex at the bottom of the barrel where the guiderod/spring assembly makes contact
Like I said, out of curiosity, just wondering!!
Old April 17, 2012, 01:56 PM   #9
ScotchMan

Quote:
That is a timing problem and Ruger needs to fix it. Do not continue to shoot it. Just because a gun that exhibits peening of the lug continues to "go bang" does NOT mean there is not a problem. At some point it's going to lock up and be seriously damaged.
Yeah, I put it in the safe as soon as I noticed that and have been carrying/shooting my other guns. Was a nice excuse to take the .45 to IDPA.

The gun got shipping today, so Ruger should be getting it tomorrow. Will post updates.
Old April 17, 2012, 07:35 PM   #10
murphyshuman

I had to send my SR9C back the day after I bought it. Failure to re-cock about once per mag. I'm back to carrying my SR9 until it returns from vacation in AZ. My SR9 has had several thousand rounds through it with no problems at all.
Old April 17, 2012, 10:06 PM   #11
ScotchMan

Same issue I had after 300. Funny how you can do all the research in the world and find no recent reports of this stuff.
Old April 18, 2012, 06:36 PM   #12
donato

Keep that area well lubed. When I first got my SR9c, I did not lube that area and started to notice the beginnings of peening (Not as bad as yours) in the same area. I used a fine diamond hone and carefully honed just the top edge of the burr off and began applying a liberal amount of lube. Also, lube under the slide toward the front where you probably will see a wear area and also the lugs that lock up the rear of the barrel with the slide. Now have about 5000 rounds and never a problem since.

You will still see some (Normal) wear from use; but, nothing like the burrs that you have experienced (In the photos).

Last edited by donato; April 18, 2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old April 19, 2012, 09:17 AM   #13
ScotchMan

Sounds like you're describing a gun that requires special care and attention to keep functioning normally. I don't own guns like that

I clean and lube the guns after they get fired, every time, and that's it. Honestly I feel that is more than they should need. I only buy high-quality, rock solid weapons, and I fully expect them to function perfectly without being cleaned or oiled. I don't put them through that, but they should be capable of it. I understand if others have a different viewpoint, but that is how I've always approached these things.

We'll see what Ruger comes back with. In any case I am probably replacing this as my EDC with a Gen4 Glock 26, as I mentioned earlier in this thread. I might save the Ruger for my girlfriend when her permit goes through; she likes it and wants a manual safety. Otherwise it may get traded on who knows what.
Old April 19, 2012, 09:28 AM   #14
tahunua001

I don't think that he's describing special maintenance requirements more than home preventative measures. removing the burr with a file was just to keep the problem from progressing. adding more lube is not really special care, it's usually a given with guns that are having problems. if you run a Glock without enough lube it will start to see problems, so will a Walther, a springfield, a heckler and koch and a M&P... that's just life I guess
Old April 19, 2012, 03:02 PM   #15
donato

@ tahunua001,

Couldn't have said it better. Didn't know I was going to set the Scotchman off like that. Think he could use a Scotch about now - or maybe that's the problem. Sometimes in documenting problems for the masses, it is doing nothing more than documenting a problem with "self".

Lubing is not special attention; it's routine maintenance. Filing off the slight burr was to keep it from getting worse (and it hasn't). After all, the burr developed because I was not lubing properly in the first place, and, I suspect those who have the peening problem aren't either.

The G26 (or any other) will require that "special" maintenance called lubing also.

Last edited by donato; April 19, 2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old April 19, 2012, 05:42 PM   #16
peacefulgary

I would send it back to Ruger ASAP.

I'm sure they will take care of it to your satisfaction.

Keep us posted.
Old April 20, 2012, 09:12 AM   #17
ScotchMan

I wasn't set off. I do have high standards though. If you reread my post you'll see I said that I clean and lube the gun after every firing. I have done that since day one, and this problem still occurred. Anything more than cleaning and lubing after every firing, I consider to be special attention. I consider taking a file to the gun to remove defects to be special attention. If Ruger does that, and it fixes the issue, great. I'm good with that.

I don't think I'm being unrealistic. Sometimes I clean my gun after 50 rounds if thats all I shot that trip. And it always gets lubed. But I'm not going to take lube with me to the range, and carefully apply oil after every magazine to prevent a defect in the gun's design from damaging it. I would rather find another gun that can stand up to being fired a couple hundred times in between maintenance.
Old April 20, 2012, 09:26 AM   #18
tahunua001

well I hope that they fix it for you, and if you still aren't satisfied just PM me and I will take it off your hands
Old April 20, 2012, 09:30 AM   #19
ScotchMan

In all honesty, if the Glock 26 lives up to my hopes, I will probably move to it as an EDC to replace the Ruger, independent of these issues. I don't have much use for redundant guns, so that would mean selling the Ruger. I'll try to hang onto it for a few months to make sure I'm not making a mistake, but you never know what new gun might need financing via trade...

I'll let you know if I do sell it.

Edit:
Wait, you already have one. Why do you want another?
Old April 20, 2012, 11:13 AM   #20
tahunua001

test gun, if I blow it up with hot reloads I'll still have my baby
Old May 4, 2012, 01:21 PM   #21
ScotchMan

Just got the SR9c back from Ruger. Good turn around time, sent it April 17th, received back May 4th.

Notes included with gun as follows:

ITEM REPLACED: BARREL
ITEM REPAIRED: N/A

Pistol was inspected and repaired at no charge, on a one time only basis as a courtesy. Function fired 30 rounds of BLACK HILLS 115gr FMJ without malfunction. JP

If I look closely, the area that was damaged on the old barrel is polished and showing the very beginnings of peening again. It's pretty clear that part of the barrel rubs against the slide every time the action operates.

I've read lots of counts of people on the Ruger forums filing down the slide on that spot to fix this. I didn't want to do this on my own, but if Ruger won't even do it, what am I supposed to think? It really seems to me that Ruger is sticking its head in the sand and saying this isn't an issue. And due to the "one time only basis" comment, next time the new barrel is on me.

No thanks. Will be getting sold or traded towards the next thing that strikes my fancy. The Gen4 Glock 26 that I got as a potential replacement for this gun is a lot more fun to shoot and carry for me. Nothing against the SR9c or the people it works for, but this will be the end for me.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old May 4, 2012, 01:44 PM   #22
Dragline45

Quote:
I've read lots of counts of people on the Ruger forums filing down the slide on that spot to fix this
I had starts of peening on mine and used very fine wet-dry sandpaper with a dab of gun oil to smooth it out. Also you want to get the underside of the slide where the front of the barrel hood and slide meet. You will probably see signs of peening there too. It's pretty hard to mess up when you are sanding by hand with such a fine grit. I have had 400 rounds through the gun since I did this and have not had any signs of peening since.

Honestly the SR9's are built with TOO tight of tolerances. It's almost like buying and aftermarket barrel and having to fit it to the gun. I had to do a good amount of sanding and polishing throughout the entire barrel hood to get the slide action to function as smoothly as it should. I also lightly stoned and polished the rails and feed ramp and the gun functions much better than it did from the factory. I enjoy working on my firearms and for only $400 I cannot complain that I had to do some small fitting to get the gun spot on.
Old May 4, 2012, 06:52 PM   #23
ScotchMan

I suppose that's reasonable. I guess what I'm surprised about is that Ruger wouldn't do the things you just mentioned. They said 1. there is a problem 2. we will fix it for you just this once, so therefore 3. next time you have to pay to fix the problem we acknowledged but don't want to fix the root cause of.

If its as simple as filing a bit why wouldn't they do that? I just don't get their stance on this.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member