The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 31, 2001, 12:02 PM   #1
Oatka

"City officials say the herd probably would have dispersed if well-meaning people had heeded requests to stop feeding the deer."

I wonder how long it will take the "Save The (fill in the blanks)" crowd to appear. I'll bet that none of them will want one in their back yard though.

MARQUETTE, MICHIGAN -- City officials are bringing in sharpshooters to kill up to 85 white-tailed deer in Presque Isle Park, saying the herd is out of control.

Vegetation in the park on the outskirts of town can support only 15 deer, according to a management plan developed by officials in Marquette. A census last week by Northern Michigan University students set the population at 100.

REST OF STORY

UPDATE:
I just finished posting when I ran across this in the Upper Peninsular's The Mining Journal:
"No reprieve for park deer", complete with a picture of sad-eyed old ladies holding signs saying "Don't shoot the park deer - relocate them!". The NIMBY syndrome at work.
STORY

Old January 31, 2001, 03:13 PM   #2
ArmySon
Staff Alumnus

Wasn't there a similiar problem down in Texas last year?

On a different note, this thread is being moved to the hunting forum. The fine folks there will sure enjoy this article.
Old January 31, 2001, 06:34 PM   #3
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

Blam!

I love the wild beauty of the deer, but that is not the same thing as a scrawny and dependent animal with a needy spirit.
Old February 2, 2001, 09:59 AM   #4
Hot Core

Just saw a similar topic on one of the Leftist news shows about too many Deer somewhere up in New York. One lady said the Deer were walking right up on her porch so they could eat her potted plants. They were showing the Deer being netted and said the Deer were being shipped to Mexico.

Funny they didn't happen to mention who was paying the cost for the netting and shipping. Surely they weren't trying to hide anything important.

Good hunting and clean 1-shot kills, Hot Core
Old February 2, 2001, 11:45 AM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

The netting of the Lakeway, Texas, deer would have been paid for by the Texas Parks & Wildlife Department, IIRC. The deer would be shipped to Mexico, to "Cemex", a large cement-producing corporation. Cemex would pay $1,000 per live deer delivered. The expected mortality rate is some 30%.

FWIW, Art
Old February 2, 2001, 05:08 PM   #6
pax

My teenage brother, dad, and dad's hunting buddy had a chance to help with a herd cull several years back in California. IIRC, it was a herd that was centered in a cemetery and had taken over a suburban neighborhood.

The local newspapers found out about the planned hunt and referred to these guys as "professional hunters," which we all thought was pretty funny, especially since dad's hunting buddy was the director of the local charity which was to receive the meat.

Of course the hunt was cancelled as soon as the papers got ahold of the story. And the herd presumably culled itself through starvation and disease. Sad.

pax

Ever notice how those who claim to believe in animal rights generally don't believe in human rights? -- Raymond Louis Drake-Tealy