The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 11, 2005, 10:24 AM   #1
44Dave

nikon monarch scope question?

I have found a refurbished nikon monarch scope that is 100$ less than a new one here locally, I'm a bit skeptical as I was only looking at the leupold scopes which are a bit more to begin with so the price is what is making me consider this, any experiences or thoughts on this???
I'm assuming that all factory warrantys would apply
Old September 12, 2005, 05:08 PM   #2
Swamp Yankee

Refurb Nikon Monarchs are excellent values.

Most refurbs come from "Buyer's Remorse", or as we used to call it when I worked in consumer products, WAF. (Wife Acceptance Factor)

The Monarch line is very well made and is considered among one of the best values in terms of both optics and mechanicals. I have a couple of Monarchs and can say they have been perfect to this point. If you can get a refurb at a substantial discount, grab it and don't look back.
If it is a true factory refurb it will carry the same warranties as a new Nikon. Nikon's limited lifetime warranty is transferable if you should ever decide to sell or trade the scope.

Take Care
Old September 13, 2005, 03:20 AM   #3
Pointer

Leupold gets better light.

But, for the price, my money is on the Nikons.

I have three rifles a 30-06 Browning, 30-06 Howa, a 340 Weatherby Mark V.
scoped with Nikon and I've had no regrets.

My other rifles are high-end Bushnell's.

High-end Leupold's are very good... if you have the extra "bread".
Old September 17, 2005, 08:52 AM   #4
cdoc42

What do you guys/gals(?) think of the BSA line? I can't believe they can produce a high quality scope for under $100. But it sure looks inviting to take a mil-dot 4-12 for $89 - or illuminated mil-dot for $10 bucks more.....!!!
Old September 25, 2005, 01:26 PM   #5
travelinguy

I have to concur. Nikon has really got some great scopes in a good price range. I have been really really pleased with their quality. I haven't had any experience with their warranty, but I guess the best warranty is the one you never need to use. I have a monarch in 4-12x40 like this one Nikon 4-12x40
I am wondering about the similar Nikon Buckmaster for 249 it looks like a lot of great features for the price. Side focus parralax etc. Anyone have any experience with these. LINK