The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 20, 2017, 06:19 PM   #1
The Rattler

Clean & Lube Trigger Assembly Parts

I bought a 1960 870 Wingmaster 12 ga. Shotgun on line a little over a year ago for a wood stock & metal refurbishment project. The gun was fully functional with a smooth action I gave it a good thorough cleaning. The receiver was absolutely filthy with carbon residue seemingly caked in layers. It took me 1 full day to completely clean the receiver. I question whether the receiver & it’s parts were ever cleaned in the 56 years of its existence. Yet, it operated smoothly.

I refurbished the wood, but before refurbishing the metal with Durablue, my Smith disassembled the Trigger Assembly. There is rust on one of the coil springs and the remaning Trigger Assembly parts need cleaning and lubing.

1. How should all of these small parts be cleaned & lubed? Soaking? If so, with what?

I have a lot of Breakfree CLP. How effective to use that for soaking?

All suggestions will be appreciated.
Old November 20, 2017, 06:36 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

I wouldn't soak in Break Free. Too expensive. My first choice would be an ultrasonic cleaner and then wipe down and lubricate with light oil (or BreakFree at that point).

Absent an ultrasonic cleaner, I'd use Hoppe. A tuna or sardine tin is good for that.
Old November 20, 2017, 09:38 PM   #3
The Rattler

Trigger Parts Ckeanin & Lube

Thanks for the reply.

Shouldn’t there be some sort of rust preventative and Lube used, such as a light spray of Birchwood Casey’s Barricade or something like that? Thanks again.

Any other input would be appreciated.
Old November 20, 2017, 10:43 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

Clean first.
Then lube.
Old November 21, 2017, 01:30 AM   #5
tangolima

I just did one a few days ago. Soaked it in denatured alcohol and scrub whatever I could scrub with an old toothbrush. Let it completely dry. Sprayed with breakfree. Worked it to get the oil into everywhere. Scrub the rust spots with steel if needed. Wiped off the excessive.

Only use water (ultrasound included) if I completely disassemble everything. Water can trap between parts and cause problem.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old November 21, 2017, 09:21 PM   #6
Dfariswheel

Remington used to recommend liberally flushing the trigger group out with Rem-Oil, then stand it upright on a pad of paper towel and let it drain thoroughly.
This cleans and lubes in one step.

Personally, I'd partially disassemble it and soak in some cheap paint thinner for an hour scrubbing with a solvent proof toothbrush a couple of times during the soak.

Flush with clean thinner, shake vigorously to get most of it off, then dry with a hair dryer. (Note: Hair dryer, not torch or heat gun).

Once dry lube with CLP Breakfree and reassemble. The Breakfree will creep into all areas and will continue to loosen any remaining fouling.

If the springs are more then just slightly rusty, replace them. Rust causes springs to break under use.

The 870 trigger group is very easy to disassemble down to the point where a riveted shaft on the slide release would have to be broken loose to remove the release and hammer.
Stripped to that point exposes most everything for a good deep cleaning.

Directions on disassembly are online.