The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 11, 2018, 10:47 PM   #1
Colorado Redneck

AR rifles for hunting?

In the local paper there was a guest opinion about gun control. The statement "Also, the AR-15, the most popular hunting rifle...." caught my attention. I am aware the AR platform is very popular and used widely for various hunting and shooting sports. But has the AR surpassed traditional style rifles for hunting applications? Just curious. I googled and could find no definitive stats.
Old March 11, 2018, 11:34 PM   #2
Water-Man

I seriously doubt it and definitely hope not.
Old March 12, 2018, 12:15 AM   #3
JoeSixpack

I've heard of people using it for varmints and hogs.. but a lot of states I don't think will allow 223 for things like deer.. I suppose there's probably some uppers chambered in something that would cut the mustard.

I don't hunt but I don't think they allow any centerfire rifles for hunting here in Ohio.. it's all shotgun due to fear rifles will travel too far on a miss.. I think.
Old March 12, 2018, 12:25 AM   #4
Carmike

I am highly skeptical that it's the most popular hunting rifle. I've been wrong before, though.
Old March 12, 2018, 12:33 AM   #5
jglsprings

I don’t buy it either. But, remember it now comes in a broad array of calibers that make it suitable for larger game.

Think beyond 223.

One of my ARs that Is set up for varmint shooting is tough to beat. Very very accurate.

Most popular? Beware of generalizations. Certainly a hunting rifle option tho. If your going to pursue that argument.

The second amendment isn’t about hunting..

Commas save lives...

Last edited by jglsprings; March 12, 2018 at 12:38 AM.
Old March 12, 2018, 06:06 AM   #6
ligonierbill

To the OP: No, certainly not. Some use them, but the vast majority of hunting rifles are "traditional" actions. Note that semi-auto hunting rifles have been around for a century, but they didn't ever catch on in a big way.

To correct misstatements on Ohio: For coyotes and other game, except for deer, centerfire rifles are allowed. And yes, some folks are taking their AR out after the 'yotes. For deer, shotgun w/slugs, muzzleloaders, and now straight-walled rifle cartridges (I carry a 38-55). Handguns, too, but .44 mag and 45-70 from single shot or lever rifles seem to be the weapons of choice.
Old March 12, 2018, 06:30 AM   #7
jmr40

Quote:
but a lot of states I don't think will allow 223 for things like deer.
The number is changing so this may not be accurate any longer. But the last count I had was only 4 states that did allow traditional rifles and did not allow 223. There are a few states that are shotgun/muzzle loader only and some of them are now allowing pistol caliber or straight walled cartridges. But the vast majority of the rest do allow 223. And that number is growing. Several years ago that number was 7 or 8. But there is plenty of proof now that 223 is fine for deer size game.

I think the quote was simply a mistake. The AR is the most common single type of rifle sold in the United States, just not the most commonly used for hunting. Although that number is growing. Sales numbers that I can locate indicate that there were around 14 million rifles out there. And that was in 2013. There may well be closer to 20 million by today. Just for reference 13 million is about the same number of 30-30's produced by Marlin and Winchester combined. And about double the number of Remington 700's.

And an awful lot of hunters do use them, especially for varmints. I took a deer with one of mine this year and I'm seeing more and more in the deer woods.

Winston Churchill
Old March 12, 2018, 07:16 AM   #8
Bartholomew Roberts

My friend’s son used an AR15 in .223 for his first deer hunt. That was so long ago that he is graduating high school now. One shot, one kill at about 60yds. Of course, deer here are about large-dog size.

AR15s have dominated pig hunting here. They are pretty much the universal go-to rifle for that. You used to see a lot of SKS rifles circa 2000 but now that AR15s are cheaper and more versatile, not so much.
Old March 12, 2018, 07:17 AM   #9
GeauxTide

My AR's in 6.5 Grendel and 450 BM are ridiculously accurate, but I agree they have not overtaken the other platforms.
Old March 12, 2018, 07:31 AM   #10
Rottweiler

Have killed quite a few deer and hogs with an AR. Mostly with the .300BLK but a few were shot with .223
Old March 12, 2018, 07:33 AM   #11
Mobuck

Probably not actually "the most popular" but possibly "the most noticed".
We hunt with AR type rifles/pistols. My Grandson has killed all his deer with an AR type rifle. I've shot several deer with assorted caliber AR type rifles/pistols. BUT, when I go out with the intent to kill the biggest buck I see at whatever distance he happens to appear, I'm NOT toting an AR.
I carry an AR daily in case I get a chance at a varmint so I put a lot of miles on a couple of AR type rifles. They're handy to carry, hold enough ammo to preclude needing an spare ammo pouch, and the collapsible stock accommodates heavy/light clothes or small shooters. They have a place but are not displacing the bolt/lever action.
Old March 12, 2018, 07:59 AM   #12
agtman

Quote:
* * * The statement "Also, the AR-15, the most popular hunting rifle...." caught my attention. I am aware the AR platform is very popular and used widely for various hunting and shooting sports. But has the AR surpassed traditional style rifles for hunting applications? Just curious. I googled and could find no definitive stats.
Not sure if the AR has "surpassed" traditional bolts in terms of a quantifiable statistical number, but presently a huge number of hunters use their ARs in 5.56/223 to take coyotes (and occasionally smaller game, like ground hogs), as well as deer and hogs, or in larger calibers, like 6.5 and 7.62/.308. In fact, one of my 5.56 ARs is set up specifically to hunt the 'yotes.
Old March 12, 2018, 08:03 AM   #13
zipspyder

I'm taking my ruskie AR15 hunting with me this next week. I believe if they are not the most popular now they soon will be within a few years.
Old March 12, 2018, 08:11 AM   #14
Tallest

I also think having the option of using an AR15 is bringing in some new hunters. Guys who bought ARs, because they like them for tactical purposes they may never encounter, want to use them for more than target practice, something with adrenaline involved. So they do a little research, hopefully get some education, and decide to become sportsmen. I know a couple such fellows, and one has become a venison gourmet... best stroganoff I've ever had.

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old March 12, 2018, 10:47 AM   #15
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I highly doubt the AR will surpass the traditional style of hunting rifle in this country. It's a military grade small arm {battle field proven} clone of firearm that's too controversial and one that has a checkered past. And too. Last I checked the USA hasn't become a 3-4 th world country ~~yet.

Last edited by Sure Shot Mc Gee; March 12, 2018 at 10:53 AM.
Old March 12, 2018, 11:12 AM   #16
Wyosmith

In Wyoming there are quite a numebr of hunters that use the AR15 for hunting deer and antelope. Me included at times. The 223 cartridge is legal here for deer and antelope with 60 grain bullets or heavier. Not for elk however.
I know only a few hunting with 223s here in comparison to the 6.8SPC and the 6.5 Grendel, but ARs are quite common here, including the AR10 size guns in the line of 308 based cartridges.

The specifics of the "most popular" claim are that the AR15 is without a doubt the most popular rifles in retail sales in the USA today, and has been for over 8 years now.
Many of the buyers use them for hunting. Remember "Hunting" doesn't always mean big game hunting. 20X more people hunt small game and varmints then hunt big game. According to Fish and Wildlife Service, 20X more hunting licenses are sold then the numebr of deer tags every year.

When we think of "traditions hunting rifles" we usually start thinking of guns designed from the late 1800s clear up through today. So probably 98% of the guns in the field last October would fall into that category. LOTS of us have guns that are older then we who hunt with them.
Clearly there are more lever actions and bolt actions in the field for deer season then ARs because the "old styles" have a 120 year head start.

But when it comes to sales of new guns, the AR15 is out selling all others 3 to 1 nationally.
Old March 12, 2018, 11:15 AM   #17
HarryO45

I don't believe the .30-30 Lever is the most popular today

It was at one time.

ARs are being used a lot for hunting. Not yet the number one rifle...but it has a good running start. My guess is 3%. Open your eyes.

I have killed a few Hogs with mine. I will do it again I am sure.
Old March 12, 2018, 11:27 AM   #18
tangolima

I am not an AR guy. But is it true that AR platform is also good for calibers other than 22 cal? I real people can shoot 30 cal or even 50 cal by putting on different uppers.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old March 12, 2018, 11:44 AM   #19
JoeSixpack

Well there is 300 blackout, which is .30 caliber. only thing that needs changed is the barrel (& muzzle device) / gas tube

Usually see it in short barrels (9,10in) where it preforms well.. they do make 16 (I haven't seen longer) but the caliber is optimized for shorter barrels and does not gain as much as 223 does from a longer barrel.

It's a popular swap cause the mags and bolt remain the same.

458 socom is another popular caliber, and ya they do have .50 Beowulf and even .50bmg (single shot) uppers.
Those all require more part changes though.

but by far the most popular is 223/556

I personally think a upper in .50AE would be cool but I haven't seen one.
Old March 12, 2018, 11:46 AM   #20
T. O'Heir

Sounds like the 'guest opinion' was making stuff up just like the people who personify firearms do regularly.
The whole thing is about where you are. Up here, in Ontario, any centre fire is legal for deer, but you cannot hunt with an AR as they're considered too evil. Just owning one requires the same licences as a hand gun. Those are too evil to hunt with too.
Kind of daft to allow the .223 for hogs but not deer though. Mind you, very little is as daft as the assorted hunting regs.
Old March 12, 2018, 01:52 PM   #21
FrankenMauser

Most popular? No.
Popular? Yes.

Quote:
I am not an AR guy. But is it true that AR platform is also good for calibers other than 22 cal? I real people can shoot 30 cal or even 50 cal by putting on different uppers.
Indeed.
A short list for the standard AR:
.17 Remington (and similar).
.204 Ruger
The newer .224" cartridges, like .22 Nosler and .224 Valyrie.
6x45mm
6mm AR
.25-45
6.5 Grendel
6.8 SPC
.277 Wolverine / .270 AR
.300 Blk / Whisper
.338 Spectre
The SOCOM family (.358, .375, .458, and some other low-production options).
.450 Bushmaster
.50 Beowulf

And all manner of other stuff that fits in between.
Some require special bolts, magazines, etc. But others require nothing more than a barrel (or complete upper) to change cartridges.

The AR-10/AR308 length actions can take even more, from .22-250 to .45 Raptor and beyond.

Quote:
I personally think a upper in .50AE would be cool but I haven't seen one.
The cartridge is too short to function reliably without special magazines and some barrel extension work.
The best option for something like that is ".500 SOCOM" - straight-walled .458 SOCOM. A few have been built. Tromix owner, Tony Rumore's personal .500 SOCOM uses the very first production run of .458 SOCOM prototype brass, which was straight-walled from the get-go.
Load/reload with .500 S&W Mag dies, and have at 'er...
Old March 12, 2018, 02:15 PM   #22
taylorce1

I wouldn't be surprised if the AR platform isn't the most popular by the time you include varmint and predator hunting, as a big game hunting rifle I doubt it.
Old March 12, 2018, 09:25 PM   #23
ed308

I've used a MSR for hunting the last 10 years. Started out using a .308 AR10. Then moved on to a 6.8. Great for hogs and deer. Hope to get my 270AR out on my next hunt.

FrankenMauser: Nice to see you've the 270AR. But I wouldn't list it next the .277 WLV. It's based off a 6.5x47 Lapua case. It and the 7mm Valkyrie are two of the best long range AR15 cartridges. Hopefully one will become a SAAMI cartridge one day.

Last edited by ed308; March 13, 2018 at 07:21 PM.
Old March 12, 2018, 09:45 PM   #24
Colorado Redneck

Thanks for the comments. I know that AR rifles are fun to shoot, as my nephew let me put a few rounds down range with one of his. 223 Remington, after a magazine I handed it back and said something about that gun being addictive.

I was at a rifle range trying to figure out a Savage 22-250 a few years ago. There were a couple of youngsters--25 years old or so, shooting Bushmasters, getting set for prairie dog shooting. Those kids were getting 1/2" groups. I was impressed. Maybe this old dog oughta try learnin a new trick.....
Old March 13, 2018, 05:00 AM   #25
PatientWolf

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if the AR platform isn't the most popular by the time you include varmint and predator hunting, as a big game hunting rifle I doubt it.
^^^^ This