The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 7, 2018, 06:48 PM   #26
JoeSixpack

Ya but I got 2 hands
Old March 7, 2018, 09:42 PM   #27
osbornk

I paid $125 for mine at a LGS. The only way I could tell it was not new is because the shop told me it was used. It was a great gun but when I "upgraded" to a S&W, I traded it to my neighbor even for a Taurus 38 Special revolver. We still don't know which one of us got cheated. I bought the Hi-Point to see if they were as bad as the gun snobs said they were and that is the same reason I got the Taurus. They have been fine and I now have 3 Taurus.
Old March 7, 2018, 10:14 PM   #28
photographix

For those of you that offered constructive answers, thank you. There are some good ones in there! I may have to re-think my admittedly wrong evaluation of this gun. I was under the impression that they were so cheaply made that they bordered on being dangerous for the one firing it, much like the Saturday Night Specials from the 1970's.

I want to clear one thing up: The pawn shops in this area are above-board and reputable. In fact, several near me are FFL's with very good user ratings on GrabAGun and Gallery of Guns. I never said they would sell a gun without doing a background check. Other people did say that, but not me.

As for why I accepted it in the first place, I have to explain. My relative is not well-versed when it comes to guns, and kept referring to it as a "Luger". I asked a couple times if it really was a Luger, and the relative kept saying it was, though didn't know much about it than it came from the father-in-law when he died.

I knew that the FIL served during WWII, so I figured there was a slight possibility it could be a war relic. Seeing how I like this relative and want to stay on good terms, I was completely honest and said that the gun could quite valuable, or have some historical value, and asked yet again if they were sure they wanted to part with it. The relative insisted that it be gotten rid of, as the other half didn't want any gun in the house.

When I received the gun, it was in its original box. When I saw the top of the box, I immediately realized why it kept being referred to as a "Luger". Here's a picture (or at least I'm going to try to post one):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2122.jpg (110.7 KB, 100 views)
Old March 7, 2018, 10:27 PM   #29
JoeSixpack

They are cheaply built but they are also very durable, There's been a few torture tests on youtube and they punch well outside their weight class as far as durability goes.

Reliability can be hit and miss, the mags imo are the weak link, the guns do tend to run better the more rounds they get in them after a few 100 rounds reliability picked up on mine.

They are perfectly safe to shoot, don't be scared.
Whether you actually want the gun in your collection is the only real question.

I bought mine cause I wanted to see if all the hate was true, IMO the vast majority of people talking smack about HP's are just parroting / dog piling and don't know what they're talking about.

As far as 100-120 dollar gun goes.. They're a damn good value.

Old March 7, 2018, 11:18 PM   #30
youngridge

I own a C9, I like it.

It’s ugly, heavy and a clunker but I don’t think I would ever get rid of it.

If I were you I would keep it and use it in a private trade throw in, might be just that extra oomf to get the trade in your favor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old March 8, 2018, 07:49 AM   #31
dean1818

Sell it at a gun show

Buying American made, wherever I still can
Old March 8, 2018, 11:46 AM   #32
bassJAM1

Quote:
When I received the gun, it was in its original box. When I saw the top of the box, I immediately realized why it kept being referred to as a "Luger". Here's a picture (or at least I'm going to try to post one):
What a disappointment! I like my C9, but I'd take even a beat up P08 Luger any day over a Hi Point!
Old March 8, 2018, 07:20 PM   #33
photographix

Tell me about it! Between the time it shipped and the time I received it, I spent a lot of time reading up on Lugers. Silly me.
Old March 8, 2018, 07:37 PM   #34
t45

I kept my HP 380 in the tool box next to the hammers.
Old March 8, 2018, 08:20 PM   #35
Kvon2

Quote:
Ya but I got 2 hands
can't argue that...
Old March 8, 2018, 08:34 PM   #36
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by photographix View Post
A relative gave me a 9 year old Hi-Point C-9 It appears to have never been fired and is in like-new condition. Even so, these things are not collectible in any condition.

I'm really not interested in even loading it up and seeing how it does. Nor am I interested in keeping it as a backup to a backup to a backup gun.

I'm thinking I want to get rid of it, but don't want to take it to a pawn shop because I don't want to enable some lowlife to get a gun on the cheap and harm somebody. The PDs around here never seem to run gun collections or buy-backs.

I talked to a couple of the big LGS's around here, and they basically told me "if my boss decides to buy it from you, we might give you about $25 for it."

Short of destroying it myself, does anyone have any good suggestions about what to do with it?
Test it. Keep it. (Loaner gun.)
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old March 8, 2018, 11:16 PM   #37
hdwhit

Quote:
photographix wrote:
I'm thinking I want to get rid of it, but don't want to take it to a pawn shop because I don't want to enable some lowlife to get a gun on the cheap and harm somebody.
...or you could be enabling a retired Federal LEO to get a reasonably priced plinking gun.
Old March 9, 2018, 12:14 AM   #38
xcc_rider

Make a visit to the Hi-Point forum and post it in the for sale section.
You'll not only get a decent price for it but you might learn a little about them too.
Old March 9, 2018, 11:12 AM   #39
Fishbed77

Quote:
For those of you that offered constructive answers, thank you.
You're welcome!
Old March 9, 2018, 06:24 PM   #40
Satchmoeddie

I'd keep it.

A Hi Point is something you will never ever regret losing or damaging beyond repair, but they do work, and they are more than functionally adequate. They are fugly & clunky, but it is a very simple straight blow back pistol, that just works. You might be in some situation where you actually want to have a gun, but you don't want one you really care about very much. I have dropped a gun into a lake trying to board a boat from another boat. I have fallen onto a Glock while rock climbing & broken the frame. I fell on another Glock on an icy road, and broke the frame. Gen 1 & early Gen 2 Glocks were pretty awful, in retrospect. I'd hang onto it. People will pay $800 for H&K VP70 (the first polymer gun) but when I look at the VP70 all I can think of is "It's a Hi Point that costs a whole lot of money, has no warranty, no available parts and it sucks really bad!". Even if you break that Hi Point beyond repair, they will send you a brand new one! They don't even care if you are the original owner or the 12th owner. No, a Hi Point is nothing to be proud of, but I'd rather lose of my pride than my life, or one of my Sig, Sig Sauer, Beretta, Browning , etc. handguns. No way am I taking a Colt Python out into the brush! If I am going on a trip and staying in a motel in some bad location, in a strange place, where I have to leave my gun in the car, or hotel room, unattended, while I work at a military base, it's Hi Point time! Once you run a couple boxes of ammo through it, it will run like a raped ape. They are a whole lot nicer than people people perceive them to be. They are also one heck of a good budget friendly handgun. Their warranty can't be beat, either.
I have a neighbor that is a high end jeweler, and he caries a Hi Point. He could afford a Cabot 1911, but he is a practical person.

Last edited by Satchmoeddie; March 9, 2018 at 06:33 PM.
Old March 9, 2018, 08:34 PM   #41
moosemike

Yes. Hi-Points work and are accurate.
Old March 9, 2018, 08:40 PM   #42
nanney1

After reading this thread, I feel like I want/need to buy a Hi Point. Saw one at a pawn shop for $175 a few weeks ago. But I just saw that Bud's has them new for $149.

I feel like I should just buy one and shoot it out of the box, never clean or oil it, and run it until it dies.
Old March 9, 2018, 08:43 PM   #43
turkeestalker

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That might take a lot of money spent on ammo... just sayin.
Old March 9, 2018, 08:55 PM   #44
CalmerThanYou

A good photographer could make even a Hi-Point beautiful.
Old March 10, 2018, 12:06 AM   #45
JoeSixpack

@Nanny..
If you want one keep and eye out over here: https://www.reddit.com/r/gundeals/new/

They recently added a "Hi-point" Flair you can use to filter posts on hi-points.

They are both mocked and loved over there.

They sometimes pop up for $100, and at least once that was at Cabellas, and if you're especially prudent you can get 100 gift cards for 80-82 on ebay.. plus sometimes Cabellas has coupons.

I paid 120 for mine back in 08 I think It was.. I wouldn't pay more than 120-125 for one though.. with the down turn in the industry seeing some monster deals on guns right now in the sub 300 price range.
Old March 10, 2018, 06:12 AM   #46
HistoryJunky

Hi points are now banned where live in IL. I honestly wish that I had one as a beater. My brother has one that he bought a few years ago and it is a shooter. We had to tweak the mags, but it is reliable now. It just sits in a dresser now. He is not a gun guy.

My "beater" is my used Taurus PT92C. Paid $300 for it and don't care much what happens to it. It's a nice little shooter but flush fit mags for it are unobtainium. I still clean it and take care of it though.

IMHO, everyone needs a beater gun. A Hi Point is perfect for that.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Old March 10, 2018, 08:11 AM   #47
Carl the Floor Walker

I would be glad to buy it, if you lived nearby. My brother has one and laughs at folks that say they are junk guns. Why, because it is a reliable shooter. I do not particularly think a Ar47 is a lovely looking gun, but hey, they seem to be work horses.
As the guy said in the movie the Dirty Dozen when inspecting the flashy troops "Pretty, but can they fight?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJJHSsLhE24

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; March 10, 2018 at 03:17 PM.
Old March 10, 2018, 08:38 AM   #48
In The Ten Ring

If it's stupid but it works, it's not stupid.
Old March 10, 2018, 11:02 AM   #49
moosemike

There's no better glove box or under the truck seat gun than a Hi-Point.
Old March 10, 2018, 03:21 PM   #50
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosemike View Post
There's no better glove box or under the truck seat gun than a Hi-Point.
People are on the other forums bragging about some of the Budget guns available. Yet this budget gun is out there has been and even cost less. However, They do not want to talk about this gun, it is beneath them to do so LOL. If I want a budget, truck, gun/beater, the Highpoint would be my first choice.