The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 7, 2017, 07:48 AM   #26
Real Gun

I use RCBS Cowboy dies for all the cartridges they offer. They are sized for lead bullets and allow rounds that don't have the bullet shape showing through the case, more like new ammo. Next best would be a Lyman expander. My frame of reference is use of a Lee Classic Turret and both expander from the PTE, really just to drive the powder measure, and the RCBS expander die. No wrinkles, although I do sort head stamps and do only one head stamp in a batch. I favor Winchester that is sorted for case length ranges, ensuring a consistent crimp.
Old October 16, 2017, 02:27 PM   #27
Chainsaw.

Finally got back on the bench yesterday, the problem was infact the crimp. I separated the crimp and seat and all came out well. Thanks all.
Old October 19, 2017, 08:04 AM   #28
m&p45acp10+1

For me that is when the Lee FCD comes in handy. For revolver loads I do not have to trim all the brass to the exact same length. I set the seating die to remove the flare, and seat the round. The Lee factory crimp die I use to give a nice even roll crimp.