The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 26, 2017, 05:35 PM   #1
camclark

what are my option for 300wm

alright so I'm fairly new here and also fairly new to real world guns. I have a few already and I'm looking to expand my collection. so far I have a MOS glock 19, STI ar15 wih AAALL the fixin's, a Remington 700 aac-sd, and what got me into guns in the first place is a HK USP.45. Anyways, on to the next one. ive narrowed down to .300wm for its long range capability and cost effectiveness. I'm not planning on really hunting with it just for more of a range toy, I'm into the Remington 700 MDT tac21 chassis, the reason im so attracted to this gun is it looks so menacing as you would expect from an ar10/ar15 style rifle, its chambered in 300 wm, and it is bolt action. so the reason im here right now is to see what other options there are out there that is a ar10/ar15 style, 300 wm, bolt action that's not going to put me into crippling debt(under $4000) so far it looks like this is a winner but I want to know what else is out there before I decide to drop that kind of money on a rifle that my wife wont approve of anyways.
Old September 26, 2017, 08:40 PM   #2
std7mag

A 300 Win Mag that looks like an AR???

Almost sounds like custom build land.
Old September 26, 2017, 10:48 PM   #3
old roper

You can do a search and find other chassic
NRA Life Member
Old September 27, 2017, 06:22 AM   #4
Mobuck

"I'm not planning on really hunting with it just for more of a range toy,"

I hope you enjoy pain cause a 300WM "range toy" will deliver in spades.
Old September 27, 2017, 07:23 AM   #5
reinert

If it were me...

If it were me, and I had 4k to buy a rifle to "toy" with as you describe/suggest, I believe I'd go with a Ruger Precision Rifle chambered in either .308 Win., 6.5 Creedmoor or .260 Rem. Then, I'd get on the search link here and do some comment research, big time, to come up with a proper scope to top it with (bells and whistles there). The money spent on the glass might/could cost more than the Ruger rig itself, but I think you'd still have money left over when you've settled on a scope... maybe.

Then, it's dies, brass, bullets and primers proper for the reloading bench. Do you reload? To do this range "toy" right (IMO), you'd really need to do handloads. Any of the calibers I mentioned will have lots of brass and bullets readily available to make a real shooter, and especially the brass, which won't be terribly expensive.

Personally, I'm just an old hunter guy who likes to shoot, hunt and reload for my newer, and older factory bolt rifles topped with fixed power scopes (what I like). I know a couple of people who shoot the long range precision stuff, so I'd quiz them relentlessly to get the most out a rifle like you're thinking about. It'd be a lot of fun to do the research, choose a rifle, find the right scope and start the loading process to make the Ruger (my choice) to run right.

BTW, I do like and own Ruger products, but I like Remington, too. Don't know the model you're mentioning here on your OP.

It really would be fun, but personally, I'm not very interested in that shooting discipline and the equipment needed. Have at it though! And have a grand time putting it all together. Sounds like fun. Especially getting a new gun! Always a fine thing! The search link here on TFL is also a fine thing. Lots and lots of good info to use on your quest.
Old September 27, 2017, 07:52 AM   #6
reinert

Couldn't help but look at the Ruger PR on Ruger's website right after I posted. I see that the .260 rem. is not an available cal. That 6MM Creed looks interesting though...

http://www.ruger.com/products/precis...le/models.html
Old September 27, 2017, 09:24 AM   #7
camclark

lots to take in guys. that's why I'm posting to see what is out there before I head to the shop. so far ive been a huge fan of vortex optics so id likely get another vortex scope, I think the one I have now is a a viper hst-lr I believe. I already have a .308 Remington 700 so it wouldn't make much sense to spend that kind of money on a gun I already have just with a different chassis. I do reload my own ammo and have a TON of 300 wm brass i picked up at spots i do go shot at and with the rep 300 wm has as a long range round is why i was pretty set on that round for my next gun. i know its got kick so I'm not going to lob 100 rounds down range in a session. so i always bring my AR with to help pass some time with less injury and more money left in my pocket when I'm done. id spend a good 600-800 on the scope depending in the size of it so yea 4000 total package is what i was sort of looking for
Old September 27, 2017, 09:42 AM   #8
Tallest

There are any number of tactical chassis that can be purchased to make a Rem700, and a couple other models, look like a tactical rifle. I would look at (you'll need to save up for a bit if you want to buy) a barrett mrad. Its available in 300 win mag, but it seems like the concept you want, and from its specs, you could get a good idea of what's involved with creating what you want.

But I have to agree with Mobuck. I have a Rem700LR in 300Wm, and it's not exactly a recreational shooter. I would seriously think about getting a less expensive 300wm to make sure you like the round before dropping $4k on something you'll probably have trouble getting all your money back out of.

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old September 27, 2017, 09:47 AM   #9
tobnpr

Custom. Pick a chassis, Defiance action, Bartlein or Kreiger barrel. 3K towards custom barreled action and chassis, 1K for the optic. Budget is do-able. Might even be able to fit a suppressor in there to make it more pleasant to shoot.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old September 27, 2017, 10:24 AM   #10
jmr40

Trust me, you DO NOT want a 300 WM for your intended uses. Where the 300 WM comes into play is putting heavy bullets into game animals at ranges from 500-1000+ yards.

For shooting at targets you can get better performance with several other options. Right now the 6.5 Creedmoor is the hottest selling option for what you say you want to do. You can buy off the shelf ammo for under $30/box that will remain supersonic over a mile. The rifle and ammo will cost a lot less than 300 WM and have almost 1/3 the recoil. The 300 will shoot somewhat flatter. But with by using modern optics and range finders the difference is easily compensated for.

There are several conventional stocked rifles accurate enough to be shooting at a mile, but if you want a chassis stock this is the best bang for the buck. And any of the other calibers offered would be a viable option.

Street prices, around $1200

http://ruger.com/products/precisionRifle/models.html

Winston Churchill
Old September 27, 2017, 11:08 AM   #11
huntfisheat

∆∆∆∆ yup
Old September 27, 2017, 02:50 PM   #12
tobnpr

Camclark,

You mentioned "range toy", what's the greatest distance available to you?
Nothing wrong with a .300 WM in a target rifle- so long as it's heavy and suppressed/braked recoil isn't all that bad.

Question is, is it the best option...
It's more versatile than the 6's and 6.5's but that ability to push a wide range of bullet weights is for a hunting application. Now, if you've got the real estate to push out to 1500 yards and beyond it's a solid choice. For 1,000 or thereabouts, the smaller boolits will get the job done cheaper and with less wear and tear on the shoulder.
www.biggorillagunworks.com