The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 3, 2013, 01:14 PM   #1
militant

Pocket semi auto or snubby?

I carry a pocket taurus 605 right now but was considering getting a pocket semi auto. More power is always nice but I'm looking more for capacity. I carry full power .357 mag loads in my snubby but am limited to 5 rounds. Any suggestions?
Old May 3, 2013, 03:12 PM   #2
kcub

Glock 26, 27 or 33
Old May 3, 2013, 03:31 PM   #3
allaroundhunter

Re: Pocket semi auto or snubby?

Sure, I've got lots of suggestions. But first is there a caliber that you'd like?
Old May 3, 2013, 03:53 PM   #4
Garycw

Taurus PT745 is doable
Old May 3, 2013, 05:13 PM   #5
CSG

I'm a fan of the Ruger LCP .380. It's a true pocket pistol with the capability of holding 8 rounds with either an extended magazine or a MagGuts spring and follower kit for the standard 6 round mag (makes it a 7). I'm OK with 6+1 of Gold Dot.

I bought this as an upgrade (cartridge wise) from my Beretta 950 Jetfire .25 which holds 8+1.

Where I live now, it's become more of a hassle to carry larger firearms IWB or otherwise and a .380 pistol is plenty considering the minuscule chance you'll ever need a gun while out in the world. I found I was carrying my 442, PM9 and Kimber Compact less often than I used to in favor of a true pocket pistol, the Jetfire. The LCP is a great compromise in size, power, capacity, etc. Add a laser and it's a pretty attractive package IMO.

There are some other offerings in true pocket pistols (Sig, etc.).

I wanted to add that at 6' 180# I can't easily carry a snub or PM9 in my pocket; they ride in IWB holsters.
Old May 3, 2013, 05:55 PM   #6
Garycw

Well I'm a big fan of Ruger, but not the LCP. I thought the OP wanted something in the power range of 357 mag. Since he was using Taurus the PT745 is one of the smallest 45 autos. As far as 380's they can do the job too. The two I carry in 380 are Sig P238 and Taurus TCP. The TCP seems to get the most use loaded with Hornaday CD. being smallest, lightest and just point & shoot simplicity. Just make sure feed ramp is polished to mirror finish for HP's
Old May 3, 2013, 06:17 PM   #7
CSG

Yeah, I get the OP wasn't really asking the question I answered. I was more commenting on the idea of what I think of as a pocket carry vs. what, for me anyway, is a belt carry in these larger firearms like a snub revolver or small 9, .40, or .45.

I liked the 238 a lot but as a lefty shooter I'd need an ambi safety and the one on the 238 is tiny under any circumstances if you're carrying in C1. I haven't seen the Taurus in person but I like the LCP for what it is and appreciate what it isn't.