The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old July 22, 2000, 10:52 AM   #1
Galco Kid

I am a handgun enthusiast, but would like to begin deer hunting "again" and it's been 5 years since I hunted big game. My question is: I would like to have an assalt weapon, but at the same time, use it for deer hunting. So, what TWO assalt weapons would you recommend?? and Why? Your personal comments are appreciated.
Galco Kid
Old July 22, 2000, 12:14 PM   #2
Robert the41MagFan

First thing you need to do is check your states game regulations. They may prohibit 22 center fire, semi automatics and magazines that hold more than 5 rounds. The state may end up making the choice for you.

Robert
Old July 22, 2000, 12:17 PM   #3
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

As I regard the .223 as too light for most big game hunting, your limited to a .308.

The first choice, IMHO, would be an AR-10 with the match trigger. Scope it up, zero it and practice, practice, practice.

The other .308 rifles either have problems with scope mounts or triggers.

DSA may have a good trigger for their rifles (dunno) and it "looks" like they have the scope mount for FALs fixed.

The SA M1A can be had with a good trigger, but I have not had good luck with the scope mounts. I would imagine that the mount offered by Fulton Arms would work well.

Please see the duplicate thread in Art of the Rifle http://www.thefiringline.com/NonCGI/...ML/003257.html

Giz

[This message has been edited by Rich Lucibella (edited July 22, 2000).]
Closed Thread