The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 7, 2004, 01:25 PM   #1
pw455

Gun Safe (desiccant or Eva-dry)

Hi,

I just bought a new gun safe and am looking for options to keep the moisture away from my guns. The safe is fireproof and approximately 23 cu-ft.

Has anybody used one of the Eva-dry products (EDV300 or AR3100)? It sounds inexpensive and easy to use, but I want to make sure it's effective. Here's a link to a distributor since I can't find their website.

http://www.agenglish.com/cordless.html

EDIT: One more thing...if I end up using just the Silica Gel Desiccant, is it possible to use too much? I found a pre-packaged amount that is intended for 57 cu-ft, which is about double what my safe needs.

Thanks,
Pete
Old November 7, 2004, 08:34 PM   #2
Indy_SIG

A very effective alternative

I have 3 gun safes of various sizes, from a pistol-size to a 6ft huge Cannon. For the last 6 or so years, I've been using Damp Rid that you can get at any WalMart, Meijer, Menards, etc. Just pour it in the provided cup and put it in your safe. About once a month, empty the water out of it, refill it with more Damp Rid, and wait another month.

A very effective dehumidifier and costs nothing compared to the alternatives.
Old November 8, 2004, 04:47 AM   #3
mete

You can't have too much silica gel. But the gel can absorb just so much water .When it is saturated put it in your oven to dry out. Some of them have a color indicator to tell you when it needs drying.Other than that you could use heat , one of those rods made for the purpose ,though I forget the name.
Old November 8, 2004, 07:52 AM   #4
Ohio Annie

drierite

Drierite may be cheaper in the long run.
Old November 16, 2004, 12:42 PM   #5
saands

Goldenrod is the name of the mini-heaters ... They barely put any heat out at all, but my safe has been in a "basement" for over two years ... not excessively damp, but it is an unfinished basement with mostly dirt floors ... and there has not been one speck of rust on any of my firearms. I figure that it costs me somewhere around $0.50 a month and there is NO maintenance required and nothing to remember to change. I DO check to see that it is slightly warm to the touch whenever I open the safe, but it seems very unlikely that such a low intensity heater element will EVER fail. I highly recommend them.

Saands