The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 14, 2017, 03:08 PM   #1
bungiex88

Sight for blackhawk

Was wondering what people would recommend to put on my new ruger super Blackhawk hunter 44mag. is a scope even worth it or would a red dot be better. I won’t be shooting past 150 yards with it for whitetail. I barley get that far with a rifle. Most of my shooting is 100 yards or less.
Old October 14, 2017, 09:00 PM   #2
GeauxTide

Bowen Rough Country Rear Sight. The stock front blade is fine. I have these on all my six Blackhawks. Best I've ever used and the most rugged and innovative adjustment mechanism.
Old October 15, 2017, 12:41 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

How long's the barrel?
The red dot on most red dots are far too big. 2 or 3 MOA dots will entirely cover the black on a standard sighting in target.
And 150 is way too far for a revolver. 100 is pushing it. Insufficient energy past 100 with a 20" rifle, never mind a revolver.
Old October 15, 2017, 06:17 PM   #4
smee78

I put a scope on my Ruger Redhawk Hunter in 45C, it has a 7 1/2 barrel and I wanted to give it a try. I have shot it a few times but would not try to take game farther than about 65-75 yrds. Not because I cant hit that far, but I would want to make a humane kill and would feel real bad if it did not have enough knock down.
Old October 17, 2017, 03:29 PM   #5
Steve in PA

I've been a dedicated handgun hunter for quite a few years now. My primary hunting gun was a scoped 9.5" Ruger Super Redhawk. I went with a 2-6x Bushnell scope sighted in at 100 yards. I've taken several deer with this handgun, with the farthest shot being about 75 yards. I like the scope, especially where I may have shots out to 100 yards or so.

I also hunt with an iron sighted 7.5" Ruger Super Blackhawk for when my shots will be around 50 yards or so. I have shot this handgun at 100 yards and have no doubt I can hit a deer-sized target at that distance, but I use the SBH when hunting thick, brushy areas where 50 yards would be a long shot.

A .44 Magnum in a decent barrel length handgun has plenty of punch at 100 yards to take down a deer.
Old October 19, 2017, 12:20 PM   #6
bungiex88

I was looking at Bushnell scopes but was just afraid it won't hold zero. I usually don't stray from leupold but I can't see spending 600 on a scope right now for this blackhawk. I might give the Bushnell a try
Old October 20, 2017, 08:50 AM   #7
bungiex88

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a picitinney rail that mounts on a ruger super Blackhawk hunter that attaches with the pre existing mount grooves to install the scope rings
Old October 21, 2017, 09:41 AM   #8
jackmoser65

A red dot is perfect for maybe 75 yards. After that I want a 2x scope but not one of the big variables. I think you'll find that it takes a lot of dedication and practice to be able to shoot deer sized game at 100 yards under feild conditions.

Use the factory mounts, there are none better.

Quote:
The red dot on most red dots are far too big. 2 or 3 MOA dots will entirely cover the black on a standard sighting in target.
And 150 is way too far for a revolver. 100 is pushing it. Insufficient energy past 100 with a 20" rifle, never mind a revolver.
Not exactly. A 2 moa red dot is perfect but even 4 will work just fine. How big it is on a sight in target matters not.

150 yards is long for a revolver but easy for a rifle. Has nothing to do with energy but trajectory.
Old October 21, 2017, 10:40 AM   #9
Steve in PA

http://www.jackweigand.com

http://www.jackweigand.com/Redhawk_B...ey_Hunter.html