The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 30, 2012, 12:23 PM   #1
jambrdly

BSA mildot 4-16x40 good idea? Bad idea?

I have been thinking about putting a higher magnification scope on my 580-series mini-14 (I'm getting a bit long in the tooth and my eyes aren't what they used to be). Today I was in Academy and I saw a BSA 4-16x40 Mil-Dot Scope | Illuminated Reticle for $99. Is this a decent scope or a piece of junk?

I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth, but $99 for a scope seems too good to be true.

So - this scope - good idea? Bad idea? Will it hold up on a semi-auto? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

JCB
Old December 30, 2012, 12:31 PM   #2
Tucker 1371

I've met retailers who won't even carry them because their quality is so horrible. I've never owned one personally so take this FWIW but every person I've ever talked to said they were garbage, wouldn't hold zero, fogged up, canted reticles etc. My reasoning in never buying one was if it gets that many consistently bad reviews it must be crap, I can't ever recall seeing or hearing a good review of one made for anything other than a .22 or air rifle.

Again I've never used or owned BSA (and I won't) so take this FWIW.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old December 30, 2012, 07:05 PM   #3
sailskidrive

Chinese junk. Check out a Nikon Prostaff Series instead; the P223 is decent for an AR.
Hk USP 45 Expert, USP 40, USP 9, SIG P226, S&W M&P9, Hk 4, Makarov, Desert Eagle 40, Beretta FS92 Centurion, Kimber TLEII 1911A1, Glock 22, SIG P225, 1943 Rem Rand 1911A1, S&W mod 64, Walther PPQ, SIG P229, Browning BDA 45 (SIG P220), Hk45, SIG P230
Old December 30, 2012, 07:28 PM   #4
2ndtimer

There is an old saying "if a deal looks too good to be true, it probably is". It is possible to get a bargain on a scope, but most $100 scope deals are not. If you only have $100 and need a scope, I would go for this:
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...Plex%20Reticle
It is a gloss finish (the matte finish one is $20 more) But it is supposed to be the equivalent of a Weaver Grand Slam scope. That is what I would go for.
You may also consider saving up an extra $100 or so and buy a new Redfield Revolution or Leupold scope. That way, you own a decent scope made in the USA, backed with a real warranty. I have a couple of each and have been very happy with them.
Old January 1, 2013, 12:41 AM   #5
highbrow

BSA =Better Stay Away

There are some corners of this country which have bred the most terrible things, things that act against everything we believe in. They must be fought. FBHO- Free Edward Snowden
Old January 1, 2013, 02:05 PM   #6
valleyforge.1777

I think the name BSA stands for
"bull sh _ _ accessory".
Old January 2, 2013, 12:49 PM   #7
L_Killkenny

I've bought 3 BSA's over the years and still own 2 of them. One of them is similar to the one you're looking at (4-16xAO mildot) but without the illuminated reticule. None of these scopes have ever given me a lick of trouble but I find them to be "set em and forget em" scopes. Don't be thinkin you're gonna go cranking on the turrets and find them consistent or resettable. But......

I hate illuminated reticules. I hate AO, and 4-16x AO IR is about a good a fit on a nice compact gun as 36" mudders on a Prius. Also, if eye sight is an issue don't think that magnification is a cure. While BSA's are serviceable they don't have the greatest optics and you'd be better of with something a little better quality. I have 2 of the Redfield Revolution scopes, one in 2-7x and the other 3-9x, and seeing things thru either is much better than the BSA's. The point is that there are clearer $100 scopes than the BSA and anything over 9x is over rated.
Old January 2, 2013, 02:43 PM   #8
chris in va

Quote:
Chinese junk. Check out a Nikon Prostaff Series instead; the P223 is decent for an AR.
Ironically, The Nikon is also made in China.
Old January 2, 2013, 05:53 PM   #9
2ndtimer

Quote:
Ironically, The Nikon is also made in China.
Unless China has invaded, conquered or annexed The Philippines, Nikon Prostaff (and Buckmasters) scopes are NOT made in China. And a number of very respectable rifle scopes are made in the Philippines, Burris Fullfield II, Vortex Diamondback and some of the less expensive Weaver models. (True, some Simmons scopes were also made there in the past, but even some of those weren't too bad, like the Whitetail Classics or the .44 Mag models.)
Old January 2, 2013, 06:09 PM   #10
jmr40

Quote:
I have been thinking about putting a higher magnification scope on my 580-series mini-14 (I'm getting a bit long in the tooth and my eyes aren't what they used to be).
I see this excuse a lot. As you get older and eyes get worse you need more quality, not more magnification. Younger eyes can compensate better with low quaity glass. More magnification in a cheap scope doesn't help.

I was helping a friend zero his rifle back in the fall. He was using an older scope that was actually a decent scope when new 30 years ago, but newer glass is so much better. At 9X neither of us could find bullet holes at 100 yards through his scope. I had a good quality pair of 6X binoculars that easily picked up the bullet holes.
Old January 2, 2013, 06:33 PM   #11
RamItOne

BSA 8-24

I swear I already replied to this thread but with the server move it may have gotten lost.

Anyways I've heard negative things about BSA, personally no issues.

Tikka T3 .308 lake city training ammo BSA scope
200 yards

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rtant/DJyvnHz0
Old January 5, 2013, 07:56 AM   #12
jcwit

I have a few BSA scopes now for over 10 years and have yet to have a problem with the "chinese junk", no more so than the lack of problems I have with my laptop I using as I type this, or my flat screen TV, or my cell phone, or the shoes I'm wearing, or the new brake pads on my vehicle that are branded by a U.S. manufacturer. I can go on a whole lot longer if you wish?

With all that said I do try to buy U.S. products when they are marketed in the same price range. Example--A Berry tumbler versus an import.
Old January 9, 2013, 05:28 PM   #13
Huffmanite

Chuckle, own at least 9 BSA scopes, most are on anything from a 22 Hornet to a 30-06, but not the particular one starter of this thread ask about. Mine are: 1 Contender, 3 Platinums, 3 Majestic DX, 2 Gold Star and one model I don't know. Avoid the really low end BSA (bubble pack type usually found in stores) and you may have decent success with a BSA. Leastways, I have. Just an old timer here on a limited budget for his shooting/reloading hobby done at range I'm a member. Gee, some of my fellow elderly members at range wanting an inexpensive rifle scope, think the way I do about BSA scopes.

Let me make this clear. Own a few nice brand name scopes that cost a heck of a lot more than my BSA. But if someone asks me to recommend a low priced scope for an inexpensive rifle, certain models of BSA is one I'll probably suggest. If they have a higher end rifle and have no problem with amount to spend on a scope, then I certainly will recommend another brand.

Last edited by Huffmanite; January 9, 2013 at 05:35 PM.
Old January 9, 2013, 05:33 PM   #14
Strafer Gott

Wally World has Centerpoint scopes for 60 bucks, If you want a real cheapy.