The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old November 17, 2012, 09:51 AM   #1
Toxdoc

Help force the Whitehouse to take a position on an AWB

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...-1994/sC09SX1l

Unlike most online petitions that are completely useless, this one has potential to force the Obama administration to release a statement on an AWB. If it hits 25000 signatures, they say they will release a statement on the issue.

The text is:

Quote:
Do NOT Reinstate the Federal "Assault Weapons Ban" of 1994

Veto any attempt to reinstate the Federal "Assault Weapons Ban." The crime rate involving such firearms has not risen since the original ban expired in 2004. Reinstating the ban would harm the individual right to keep and bear arms as outlined in the United States Constitution and only affect law-abiding citizens who purchase such firearms legally for peaceful purposes such as sport, hunting, and home defense.

Banning such firearms on the ground that "nobody needs an Assault Weapon" is unjust. The right to own these firearms is outlined in the Bill of Rights... Not the Bill of Needs.
It is currently at 5433 signatures. Of note, I didn't write this and I'm sure it could have been written more cleanly. Whitehouse.gov does require you to give your Name, Zip and email address to sign a petition.
Old November 17, 2012, 10:05 AM   #2
steveno

I always thought it was pretty clear how obama felt on the matter and I don't think that is going to change
Old November 17, 2012, 10:09 AM   #3
nate45

Those White House website petitions are the equivalent of liking something on Facebook. If it gets 25,000 signatures, the White House will issue some statement about being committed to reasonable restrictions, etc, etc, blah, blah, blah.
Old November 17, 2012, 10:51 AM   #4
Sparks1957

Quote:
If it gets 25,000 signatures, the White House will issue some statement about being committed to reasonable restrictions, etc, etc, blah, blah
Anyone really think a mere 25k signatures on this will change the president's opinion on the matter or dramatically change his policies? Dream on....
Old November 17, 2012, 04:23 PM   #5
maestro pistolero

Even if we could, why on earth would we want to force the hand of the executive branch to take an action that is the equivalent of one of our worst nightmares???
Old November 17, 2012, 04:25 PM   #6
BGutzman

This administration is not gun friendly.... Mr. Obama is about as anti gun as you can get..
Old November 17, 2012, 04:39 PM   #7
Skadoosh

Quote:
Even if we could, why on earth would we want to force the hand of the executive branch to take an action that is the equivalent of one of our worst nightmares???
Exactly.
Old November 17, 2012, 04:55 PM   #8
hoytinak

I'm afraid this is one those "be careful what you're asking for" things....the outcome will not be good.
Old November 17, 2012, 06:03 PM   #9
raimius

I suspect his statement would be similar to the one during the debates. He is in favor of a new AWB.
Old November 17, 2012, 06:57 PM   #10
jhenry

He will just state he is not re-enacting the AWB, but is introducing legislation which will have a "real effect" on the issue. Not just some bandaid. Look out folks.
Old November 17, 2012, 07:46 PM   #11
Glenn E. Meyer

In the debates, Obama said he was in favor of the AWB. True, he's not likely to push it and there is little chance of getting one enacted.

So what use is the petition?

Clinton, Bushes, Dole, Romney, Gore and Obama have favored the AWB. McCain was better.

Thus, science demonstrates that running for president likely leads to support for the AWB.
Old November 17, 2012, 10:19 PM   #12
Fishing_Cabin

Ummmm....

So lets see. Nothing so far under Obama has happened (exception of a dew comments) as far as gun control yet, but there should be support to force the issue?

Perhaps its better to let the sleeping giant continue sleeping.

Last edited by Fishing_Cabin; November 18, 2012 at 07:40 AM.
Old November 17, 2012, 11:19 PM   #13
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Those White House website petitions are the equivalent of liking something on Facebook.
They're probably even less effective. I've yet to hear of any sort of legislation come about as a result of one of these. I guarantee that if people were actually required to make so much effort as to write something on a piece of paper, put it in an envelope, and stick it in the mailbox, this petition (and all the others on that site) would have a scant fraction of the signatures it does now.

And what good is it, anyway? We know his stance. He can't force one through without the House. It's just a self-aggrandizing episode of preaching to the choir.
Old November 18, 2012, 09:56 AM   #14
carguychris

Quote:
[Whitehouse.gov petitions are] probably even less effective. I've yet to hear of any sort of legislation come about as a result of one of these.
+1. Moreover, some recent petitions border on parody of the entire concept.

Given the recent trend towards movie theater shooting rampages, perhaps it would be more productive to petition the WH to enact a "Movie Theater Violence Prevention Act" consisting of a prohibition on future movie adaptations of comic books and Stephanie Meyer novels. I, for one, would give such a measure my full support.
Old November 18, 2012, 10:07 AM   #15
thallub

Quote:
Clinton, Bushes, Dole, Romney, Gore and Obama have favored the AWB. McCain was better.
Reagan shilled for the AWB after leaving office. McCain wanted to close the mythical "gunshow loophole".
Old November 18, 2012, 03:16 PM   #16
Glenn E. Meyer

Interesting you mention comics - there was significant legislative investigation of comics way back when. Horror comics were violent. Batman and WW promote same sex shennigans.

The classic book was Seduction of the Innocent by Wertham. Because of pressure the comics industry adopted a voluntary censorship code for many years.

Similar accommodations to legislative threats were not unknown during the height of the initial AWB panic.
Old November 18, 2012, 10:05 PM   #17
Fishing_Cabin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer
...Because of pressure the comics industry adopted a voluntary censorship code for many years....
You bring up a valid point Glenn... Do we continue to police ourselves and continue reporting the very few of us who may cause a problem, and supporting those dealers for following the law? Or do we kick the 800lbs gorilla in the room?

My point of view, we need to keep trying to police ourselves as a whole, and work toward being stewards of firearm ownership. Bring others in to our group instead of creating a standoff which no one will win.
Old November 19, 2012, 07:49 PM   #18
Warrior1256

I believe we ALL know what we are in for over the next four years. Hopefully we have enough allies in congress to give us the help we will need.
Old November 19, 2012, 08:24 PM   #19
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
I believe we ALL know what we are in for over the next four years.
No, we don't. We've laid the groundwork to effectively counter many possible prohibitions, but we'll still be taking things as they come.
Old November 19, 2012, 09:24 PM   #20
lamarw

When are folks going to understand it is not the White House or the President who sets the laws of the land? It is the Congress.

Your concerns should not be addressed to or even related to the President. He is of the Executive Branch and not of the Legislative Branch. Yes, the position of President has influence and veto power. The influence is almost non-existent in today's environment, and we all should know (wishful thinking on my part) of the limitation of veto authority over the Legislative Branch.

The American people are so ignorant and mis-informed to their own form of government. It is disgusting to read threads of this nature with so much mis-information.
Old November 19, 2012, 10:14 PM   #21
44 AMP
Staff

While we may be " ignorant and mis-informed to their own form of government", but we also understand the influence and power of the Presidency. Bills the President does not support (or at least remain neutral) have a very difficult time becoming laws.

And, while the Executive branch does not make the laws, they do make the policies and take the action that enforces laws.

Also, this administration seems more selective about the laws it chooses to enforce than some previous ones.

We all know the current administration supports gun control in their hearts, and would love another AWB, expanded, if at all possible. BUT, they are also well tuned to the political reality that further gun control is a lose/lose proposition, given the current mood of the nation.

Give them some credit, they did try to get us stirred up. But even with the Mexican President berating us as a nation for our lack of gun control, on the floor of Congress, in person, the attempt failed. Fast & Furious backfired on them very badly, resulting in the President having to CYA his attorney general under the mantle of "executive privledge".

As to any petition on the AWB (or any gun control), I say, why poke the bear? He isn't going to change, and if we draw attention to the subject, when there are so many, many, more important things to deal with, it not only reduces their already limited ability to deal with those important things, but they just might manage to get something done along gun control lines. Lose/Lose, for us, too.

As long as they are not making an issue of it, I think the best course for now is to just let it ride, and wait for them to go away. Since the election is over, there is little that can threaten them, so as long as they are focused on other things, reminding them of the "horrid state of gun control" in this country is counter productive.
Old November 19, 2012, 11:28 PM   #22
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Since the election is over, there is little that can threaten them
It's over for some, but 2014 is just around the corner. Plenty of folks in Congress have to consider that before they go on record as supporting gun control.
Old November 20, 2012, 10:36 AM   #23
Glenn E. Meyer

Not to be too political but the lesson of last election is that gun rights need to be an issue outside of a diminishing segment of the electorate. Tying the fate of gun rights to groups that alienate large segments of the population isn't going to work. The top level losing party is shifting its grand strategy (while the small segment can fuss). Gun rights organization need to decide if they want to make money off scaring that diminishing base or try to spread gun rights as a general civil rights issue to a wider audience.

That's my take.
Old November 20, 2012, 10:46 AM   #24
NJgunowner

I know exactly where the white house stands on the AWB, why do I need a petition?