The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old June 13, 2016, 03:25 PM   #1
Calfed

New "O-66" Garand

I've been interested in rebuilt marked Garands and glommed this one today...

Only have these auction pics and this description

U.S. Garand M1 semi-automatic rifle by Springfield Armory., .30 cal., SA barrel dated 11-65, military finish, wood stock, serial #4219605, in overall very good condition showing significant original military finish, good bore, crisp action and markings. The smooth wood military stock has the ā€œPā€ proof on the pistol grip. The butt stock features sling swivels and a checkered metal butt plate with trap.

Better pics when it arrives
Old June 30, 2016, 06:42 PM   #2
Calfed

The O-66 Garand arrived at my FFL today to begin it's 10 day "cooling off" period. I got a chance to look it over and it looks good. There is a boxed "P"
cartouche on the pistol grip of the stock. The stock and metal are in excellent shape...literally no dents, dings or scratches on the stock and the same on the metal. There are no rub marks anywhere, even in the op rod groove on the receiver. Stock looks like an Overton replacement with a very dark finish..

The barrel is an 11-65 SA, with a sharp, shiny bore that gauges about .5 on the CMP muzzle gauge.

Could be wrong about this, but almost looks like it has not been used since it was rebuilt.

More and better pics after I've "cooled off" for 10 days...
Old July 1, 2016, 11:03 AM   #3
RickB

If I had to wait ten days, I think I'd be pretty "hot"?
Old July 2, 2016, 11:13 AM   #4
Calfed

I tried to convince my FFL that I was sufficiently dispassionate to take the Garand immediately...no dice!
Old July 27, 2016, 09:42 PM   #5
Calfed

I picked up the "O-66" Garand today, since the 10-day "cooling off period has elapsed.

It is in great shape. It almost looks like it was overhauled and then went into storage. The stock, bore, and parkerizing are in near perfect condition. There are a few very light rub marks on the stock and very few dents or dings.

The bore is "1-" on the CMP muzzle gauge and the lands and grooves are shiny and sharp.

Everything feels tight and I'm looking forward to shooting this one.

Old August 10, 2016, 07:18 PM   #6
Ozzieman

If that was mine I would buy new wood from CMP and make the wood look as good as the metal.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old August 10, 2016, 07:47 PM   #7
smee78

Congrats on a fine addition, that is a good looking addition. I will have to dig mine out and bring it to the range next time out. Nothing like a "new" classic rifle.
Old August 11, 2016, 08:20 PM   #8
Calfed

Quote:
If that was mine I would buy new wood from CMP and make the wood look as good as the metal.
The stock is in almost perfect shape. I like the dark stocked Garands.

I've got several other Garands that have the CMP wood, and it does look nice, but no way would I trade a stock, originally put on during a USMC rebuild, for a reproduction stock.
Old August 11, 2016, 08:22 PM   #9
Calfed

Quote:
Congrats on a fine addition, that is a good looking addition. I will have to dig mine out and bring it to the range next time out. Nothing like a "new" classic rifle.
Thanks, Smee. I've been shooting some of old rifles and the Garands are some of the most enjoyable to shoot.
Old August 6, 2019, 08:46 PM   #10
Calfed

Got out to the 200 yard range at Sac Valley and shot the "O-66" Garand.

@200y, Hornady 168gr Garand match ammo, group 2.75", just under 1.5 MOA.

Old August 7, 2019, 09:22 AM   #11
P5 Guy

Good shooting, keep the stock it came in.
If the stock is oil soaked bake it wrapped in paper towels and a black trash bag set out in the sun. While shooting did the hand guard sweat much?
Old August 7, 2019, 12:10 PM   #12
Calfed

Quote:
Good shooting, keep the stock it came in.
If the stock is oil soaked bake it wrapped in paper towels and a black trash bag set out in the sun. While shooting did the hand guard sweat much?
Thanks, P5!

The stock is stained very dark, but is not oil or grease soaked at all.

Hand guard did not sweat at all...and it was about 100 degrees at the range.
Old August 7, 2019, 04:20 PM   #13
Unclenick
Staff

The originals are all boiled linseed oil finishes I was told, though I've seen something different looking on some birch parts.

Did you pull the gun apart to check for rust pitting below the wood line? That's usually where you get that trouble if it has been kept in humid places. You want to check just in case it needs attention, though as long as it's shooting well, it is hard to complain.

A common practice among target shooters is to get a thick, short rubber band and loop it over the rear sight rack at the corner of the profile where the round disc meets the rack and from there hook it over the windage knob. This is to pull the sight down and to the side so it doesn't change windage during firing as can happen when the rear sight base hasn't been peened to remove the slack. Use of sight black on that disc and on the front sight post can help with the consistency of your sight picture, especially in changing light. Using it on the front sight post can help, for that matter.

The CMP as-issued match rules do allow you to peen the barrel spline to prevent any rotation of the gas cylinder if you are so inclined. But so far, it looks like it's shooting well for an undoctored Garand and you may just want to be satisfied with that. Congratulations on the acquisition.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old August 7, 2019, 05:32 PM   #14
Calfed

Quote:
The originals are all boiled linseed oil finishes I was told, though I've seen something different looking on some birch parts.

Did you pull the gun apart to check for rust pitting below the wood line? That's usually where you get that trouble if it has been kept in humid places. You want to check just in case it needs attention, though as long as it's shooting well, it is hard to complain.

A common practice among target shooters is to get a thick, short rubber band and loop it over the rear sight rack at the corner of the profile where the round disc meets the rack and from there hook it over the windage knob. This is to pull the sight down and to the side so it doesn't change windage during firing as can happen when the rear sight base hasn't been peened to remove the slack. Use of sight black on that disc and on the front sight post can help with the consistency of your sight picture, especially in changing light. Using it on the front sight post can help, for that matter.

The CMP as-issued match rules do allow you to peen the barrel spline to prevent any rotation of the gas cylinder if you are so inclined. But so far, it looks like it's shooting well for an undoctored Garand and you may just want to be satisfied with that. Congratulations on the acquisition.
Thanks, Nick.

I removed the rifle from the stock and it is as pristine under the wood as above it. It really looks like it went from overhaul to storage to me.

I took my Letterkenny 1965 rebuild Garand to the range yesterday also, but had trouble with the rear sight elevation. I turned the elevation knob, but the rear peep did not move. If I turned the elevation knob clockwise and pulled up on the peep, it would go up, and vice-versa. However, without an assist it would not move, although it did click.

I adjusted it using the "pull up on the peep" method, but I think the recoil caused the peep to drop, as each shot was lower than the previous one.
Old August 8, 2019, 08:14 AM   #15
Lexspeed

Cafed, nice rifle and great shooting. I love the patina of an 'experienced' original stock. A well worn stock means that rifle has plenty of stories in its history.
Old August 8, 2019, 03:33 PM   #16
Unclenick
Staff

Calfed,

I think you have a screw loose. No, I mean that literally. Are you aware the screw that holds the elevation knob on can be loosened and moved without moving the sight (you have to hold onto the sight) in order to get the range numbers correctly aligned with the index mark on the frame? You then tighten the screw and the pinion that raises the sight then stops slipping. If this doesn't work, you need a new knob.

I recommend this approach. Turn (or push) the rear sight all the way down. Rotate the knob (also down) until the 100-yard mark lines up with the index line on the frame and then keep turning for 10 more clicks. Hang onto the knob and with your other hand, use a screwdriver to tighten the screw. Afterward, turning the knob the other way should raise the sight again.

10 clicks from the bottom is a sort of average-ish number for getting the knob range numbers correct for 100 yards with a 6:00 hold (it may be off a click one way or the other, but you have to start somewhere). So, with the screw now tight, turn the top of the knob toward you until the 200 mark is next to the index mark on the frame and go back to your 200-yard range and see if you are about there.
Old August 8, 2019, 03:39 PM   #17
2wheelwander

Pardon me, but what is an 0-66 Garand?
Old August 8, 2019, 03:44 PM   #18
Unclenick
Staff

In the third photo you see the marks just behind the rear sight that say O-66. I assume that means Ordnance checked it and found it Operational in 1966. But I'm not sure which word, if either, that the "O" stands for.
Old August 10, 2019, 09:29 PM   #19
langenc

Just something some yahoo pencil inscribed on to it-yuk. Nice looking and functioning gun, no rifle.
Old August 10, 2019, 11:57 PM   #20
Calfed

Quote:
Just something some yahoo pencil inscribed on to it-yuk. Nice looking and functioning gun, no rifle.
Uh, no. That was not "some yahoo" who electro-penciled the "O-66" on the receiver.

As I explained, the "O-xx" Garands were overhauled by Marine Corp armorers, who then electro-penciled "O" and the year that the overhaul occurred. My rifle was overhauled by the Marine Corp in 1966...thus the "O-66".

Quote:
Nice looking and functioning gun, no rifle
Not sure what you are driving at here, langenc.
Old August 10, 2019, 11:59 PM   #21
Calfed

Quote:
Cafed, nice rifle and great shooting. I love the patina of an 'experienced' original stock. A well worn stock means that rifle has plenty of stories in its history.
Thanks, Lex
Old August 11, 2019, 12:00 AM   #22
Calfed

Quote:
I think you have a screw loose. No, I mean that literally. Are you aware the screw that holds the elevation knob on can be loosened and moved without moving the sight (you have to hold onto the sight) in order to get the range numbers correctly aligned with the index mark on the frame? You then tighten the screw and the pinion that raises the sight then stops slipping. If this doesn't work, you need a new knob.

I recommend this approach. Turn (or push) the rear sight all the way down. Rotate the knob (also down) until the 100-yard mark lines up with the index line on the frame and then keep turning for 10 more clicks. Hang onto the knob and with your other hand, use a screwdriver to tighten the screw. Afterward, turning the knob the other way should raise the sight again.

10 clicks from the bottom is a sort of average-ish number for getting the knob range numbers correct for 100 yards with a 6:00 hold (it may be off a click one way or the other, but you have to start somewhere). So, with the screw now tight, turn the top of the knob toward you until the 200 mark is next to the index mark on the frame and go back to your 200-yard range and see if you are about there.
Thanks, Nick--I'll give it a whirl.
Old August 11, 2019, 06:10 PM   #23
Reloadron

Here's an interesting piece of trivia about your rifle. The rear handguard band looks to be a grooved version. The earliest grooved versions were stamped on the inside with the drawing #B8870 and latter grooved had no stamped drawing number. The grooved bands only went through the fall of 1942 production but on a mix master they turn up every now and then but you really don't see them much like the grooved lower bands. Pretty cool really.

Enjoy the rifle and may it bring you many happy hours on the range.

Ron
Old August 12, 2019, 07:42 AM   #24
Unclenick
Staff

Interesting detail. I don't recall ever having one of those.
Old August 12, 2019, 08:26 AM   #25
Reloadron

You really don't see them much. I have a grooved lower band in my parts box but don't think I have an upper. They are sought after by guys who want to make a rifle correct.

Calfed, if you want a newer band I will be happy to send you one as I have plenty of them. This way you can hang on to the more sought after band. Just shoot me a PM and I'll drop one in the mail. It's on me.

Ron