The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old September 24, 1999, 09:40 AM   #1
cornered rat

Went to make "problem reports" for the gunsmith on my Makarov and S&W49 sights (targets showing point of impact vs. point of aim). Makarov was right on, while the previous time I have trouble aiming it. Weird but nice to know.

S&W49 was WAY OFF. Some people though the barrel was turned. At 25m, I had to aim a foot or more low and to the left to hit bullsye.

Turns out Thursdays are Centerfire Pistol League days. I joined. Shot my first match with the S&W49, bad sight and all. The only ammo of which I had more than a few rounds were 158gr JHP handloads, full power. Wham! Did fine on closer targets where I could see the holes...at 25m, I had no way to tell where my bullets were landing.

Interestingly, the best scores were turned in by folks with 1917 S&W, early Hi-power and, of all things, a Colt 1908 Vest-pocket .25! Practice pays off. Will be there next Thursday with my 686+, then back to snubbies for the challenge. Great group of people.

Earlier, I found three people wondering about asking questions and taking pics. They turned out to be newspaper folks who had just turned from rabid anti to learning pro, and they were amazed at how friendly and helpful everyone was. I gave them a few factoids, some URLs...

-next day-

I suddenly realized that last night was the first time I did not have nightmares in almost a week. Hmmm...ought to get to the range more often.

[This message has been edited by cornered rat (edited September 24, 1999).]
Old September 25, 1999, 02:34 AM   #2
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

You'll have to follow up and see if the report was run. And what they said...

I wish some news crews would go to a gunshow and see that "real people" go there too.

------------------
Not all Liberals are annoying... Some are Dead.
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac