The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 22, 2002, 12:05 AM   #1
Erich

Advanced Technology folding stock and forend for Mossberg 500

Just picked one of these up from CTD for $35 - I'm pretty impressed. I bought it because I wanted something that would let me store the gun folded during the day, but would let me easily extend and refold the stock (I actually keep the gun in the bedroom, loaded with slugs during bear-visiting season) before and after use.

I haven't fired the gun yet (just installed the stock) but here are some impressions.

The stock went on with no problem whatsoever (much better than the Mossberg pistol grip that came with the gun), with just a couple of allen wrenches (the forend required a wrench to remove the forend nut). It locks in folded and extended positions with a positive "CLICK". Locked open, however, there is still a slight amount of wobble that is disconcerting when shouldering the gun. I think I might be able to address this wobble by further tightening the allen set screw that holds the stock-folding pin in place. In any event, there's no feeling that the stock is not solidly locked, it's just a teensy bit wobbly.

The grip itself feels right in the hand - much better grip angle than the Mossberg factory pistol grip. The forend is sharply (but comfortably) ridged for a good grip on the fiberglass/polymer.

When folded, the stock dips sufficiently below the ejection port to allow use of the gun (although I am not much of a fan of shooting a shotgun without a stock planted firmly in my shoulder).

There were a few little burrs and sharp edges that required a few seconds with a file. I also did about a minute's worth of filing on the place where the stock's hinge meets the pistol grip - I'm a lefty and I found it rubbed a bit too much against the web of my thumb.

Frankly, I wish I'd bought one of these back when I first got the gun (my second gun ever!) back in '86 or '87. If Advanced Technology was around back then. In any event, if you're in the market for a folding shotgun stock, this one seems well worth the dinero. And it's got a lifetime warranty, too!
Old February 22, 2002, 01:18 AM   #2
orlando5

I be a happy camper if they makes collapsible stocks