The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old October 15, 2008, 05:31 PM   #26
nalioth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hkmp5sd
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguychris
...but an 03 C&R FFL can only receive C&R firearms.
Huh?
Type 1 and Type 2 FFL licensees can buy and sell all kinds of firearms.

A type 3 FFL exists for collectors of curio and relic firearms. They can only receive C&R type firearms to their address (not all types).
Old October 15, 2008, 05:37 PM   #27
Hkmp5sd

Oh. Ok. The way I read it was a C&R could receive guns but not sell guns.

A C&R can sell long guns classified C&R to anyone from any state in the same method an 01-FFL can sell them to anyone as long as the transaction takes place at the licensed premises and the sale is legal in both locations.
Old October 16, 2008, 09:46 PM   #28
44 AMP
Staff

There is one more exception

One not usually mentioned. If you are inheriting a firearm (bequest) from a location in another state, it can be sent directly to you (again, if no state law prohibits it). I'm not sure if this section covers handguns as well as long guns, but at one time it was allowed. Research of current laws is recommended. I also understand that to qualify under this exception, the bequest must be mentioned in the will specifically. (again, not a lawyer, so check carefully).

My father died in 2003, and left me half his belongings, which included some guns. However they were not specifically mentioned, so to avoid any potential problems, I had three handguns shipped FFL to FFL (and paid $80 for the FFL in New York to do it!) Two rifles I carried back with me checked baggage on the plane. Even though it costs some money, shipping FFL to FFL is the best way to do it, as it avoids any possibility of violating the regs, both Fed and state. That's what you pay them for.

Tags
l&cr