The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old November 3, 2008, 09:13 PM   #26
rampage841512

Mr. Cooper made a bad business decision. That's what it comes down to. Maybe making his contributions public somehow suited some deep seated need, or maybe he's just an idiot. Either way, he lost his business and is probably going to be the cause of a lot of his employees losing their jobs since most consumers are now going to be turned off to the company.
Old November 6, 2008, 03:48 PM   #27
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

So now that we have his choice as president, will there be any chance of the company surviving this fiasco? I did at one point have mixed feelings about helping to spread the word of this and the impact it may have on the company. Brent
Old November 6, 2008, 04:40 PM   #28
Evan Thomas

Bill Ruger was widely vilified for refusing to market hi-capacity magazines to civilians, was he not?

Just a couple of examples from threads on TFL:
Quote:
That answer to that is to stick together now, not to continue to reward the traitors like Bill Ruger. Protecting his butt is not a good enough excuse for betraying America, and his actions are no less than that.
Quote:
Doesn't even out traitorist activity. If Ruger had fought against the AWB instead of appeasing them so that his Mini-14 didn't get included with the AR-15, perhaps there might not have been a ban. He is the one that created the concept of "high capacity magazines, " leading to their inclusion in the AWB. Don't forget, Ruger used to sell a pistol gripped/folding stock version of the Mini-14 to civilians. He had no problem with evil features on his guns until he wanted to suck up to congress.
The company seems to have survived in spite of all this righteous indignation.

People like Cooper's products: they'll probably survive too...

Old November 6, 2008, 08:46 PM   #29
44 AMP
Staff

Not so sure

Ruger did survive Bill Ruger's "treason" against gun owners, and the S&W name still exists today (although under different management), but Cooper Firearms is not such a big company. The make high dollar specialty rifles, essentially a niche market. I don't think they have the margin or the customer base to survive a serious hit like the one Cooper has brought down on them.

Time will tell.
Old January 5, 2009, 03:27 PM   #30
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Anyone heard how Cooper has made way since the elections?
Brent
Old January 5, 2009, 04:46 PM   #31
SGHOTH

I suspect that the companies pre election press releases were a smoke screen. I saw a Cooper rifle I liked advertised online a couple days ago. I went to the company website for any information I could glean about the current company status of Dan Cooper.

There is no mention of any of these events in the company history. The 2008 PDF still lists Dan Cooper as President. It looks to me like the damage control worked. They waited for it to blow over and it did. It would not surprise me if Dan is still running Cooper of Montana.

Given what I found I would still not purchase another Cooper. Seems this one didn't develop the momentum the Zumbo incident did.

Tags
cooper firearms , dan cooper , jim zumbo , zumbo