The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 17, 2011, 07:51 PM   #1
GunXpatriot

Mosin Nagant 91/30: Is this a good deal?

I'm going to buy a mosin next week at a local place. I had bad luck with another shop and as soon as I walked in and seen the workers and owner, I knew I'd never set foot in there again. Anyway, that's a different story.

I called up another place looking for a 91/30. They said for $120, they had the rifle, sling, pouches, I believe headspace and firing pin pertrusion tool. They are on AIM surplus which has the same stuff for 80 bucks. I was going to get a hand pick for 90 and by the time I payed transfer fees, the cost would be the same.

Every other shop I see has them for the same price, but it comes with nothing. So, should I go for it?
Old December 17, 2011, 10:04 PM   #2
Te Anau

Get it.Lots of times Mosins arent sold with the firing pin tool & you need one.As long as you can see it first and get a nice matching gun its definitley worth the $120
Bring in at least 2 cans of ammo right now while its cheap and always keep one in reserve for when all hell breaks loose.Just remember that its corrosive ammo.
Old December 17, 2011, 11:28 PM   #3
Bamashooter

Its not a bad deal. Ive seen better and worse. If I liked the mosin I would get it. I have three and they are good old rifles.
Old December 17, 2011, 11:33 PM   #4
leadchucker

You can order one from AIM, or from about a dozen other places, for around eighty bucks, plus around twenty bucks shipping, plus whatever a local FFL charges you. (Ten bucks for a hand pick usually doesn't really get you much, BTW.)

If you just want a basic shooter, and you aren't particular about matching parts, bluing and finish quality, aesthetics, year of manufacture, arsenal, marks, distinguishing features, or a pristine shiny bore, that will probably do you just fine.

OTOH, If you are more particular, for about the same money, you can walk into the store, actually look at and fondle the rifle you are considering buying, and decide if you like what you are getting, before you lay your money down.

Most likely any 91/30 you look at will be a Ukrainian refurb. Some or all of the following items should be included; bayonet, ammo pouch, oil can, multi-tool, and cleaning rod components.
Old December 18, 2011, 01:23 AM   #5
GunXpatriot

Well I think its coming with all that, except the bayonet. Yeah, I was gonna inspect in a little before actually paying, but about the bayonet, they're illegal in NY.

Yeah, you can really cause some mayhem with a bayonet. I mean, the rifle could blow a hole in 5 people lined up, but that baynet, oh man, I might as well have a Davy Crockett in my hand... I hate living in NY
Old December 18, 2011, 09:32 AM   #6
troopcom

Quote:
OTOH, If you are more particular, for about the same money, you can walk into the store, actually look at and fondle the rifle you are considering buying, and decide if you like what you are getting, before you lay your money down.
I like to "fondle" my rifles before buying them, but that's just me. I tried that at a local gun store myself. The guy/owner said he had 20 Mosin rifles boxed up in the back. I didn't like the one on the rack and I asked him to at least bring out five from the back and let me pick the one I wanted. He refused and was wanting me to buy the one he stuck up in the rack and I just walked out. Not a good way to treat a customer who knows what he wants and has the cash in hand to make the purchase.
Old December 18, 2011, 11:44 AM   #7
johnm1

All things considered, putting your hands on a rifle before buying it has a value. Although the shop didin't have to pay for a transfer direct he has purchased his FFL license and he did pay for shipping one way or another. Pricing being close I will almost always go with a rifle I can see first. Sometimes I will go with the rifle I can see even if the pricing isn't close.
Old December 18, 2011, 12:36 PM   #8
tobnpr

As stated, the advantage of being able to see/inspect the rifle before buying is self-evident.

Assuming you're buying it to shoot (and even if you're not, it's still important), give the bore a good inspection. It may be tough if it's gummed up with cosmoline, but a worn out, and/or badly pitted bore would be a waste of your money.

I got lucky with the two I purchased which were arsenal refurbs (many are these days). Bores on both were excellent. Made one into a sporter that shoots right at minute of angle with handloads.
Old December 18, 2011, 02:24 PM   #9
Clark

I have a dozen Mosin Nagants and have never mail ordered them.

But every purchase of handguns, rifles, ammo, and parts from AIM seems to turn out better than expected, except Albanian SKSs, that had stocks that would make you laugh and cry.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old December 18, 2011, 03:32 PM   #10
GunXpatriot

Yeah, well my main concern is the inspection of the bore. Kind of a lengthy process to do on the counter in a shop. And then I'd need a flashlight, etc. Hmm..

You guys are making me think now. ITS OVERWHELMING!
Old December 18, 2011, 03:34 PM   #11
tobnpr

Just bring a small penlight, one that'll fit right into the action.
Inspecting the bore on an unknown combat rifle that's decades old AND used corrosive ammunition is a no-brainer if you have the opportunity.
Old December 18, 2011, 05:33 PM   #12
leadchucker

Unless the dealer has cleaned the rifle, the barrel bore, along with every other surface on the rifle, will be slathered with cosmoline. If you plan to inspect a rifle, take a cleaning rod or bore snake with you along with the penlight. And, it will be a rare occurrence if you find a bore that isn't frosty and dark. As long as there are decent riflings, it will still shoot good though.

BTW, the last two Mosin rifles I ordered in the blind from AIM were of outstanding quality. YMMV.
Old December 18, 2011, 07:25 PM   #13
Slopemeno

Mine was dry and clean. A bit smoky, but looks ok.
Old December 18, 2011, 11:27 PM   #14
GunXpatriot

Ehhh, but that involves work... And I dont really have any of these things to just bring with me... Well I guess I just gotta hope for the best

Tags
deal , good , mosin , nagant