The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 15, 2009, 09:36 PM   #1
Madirishman

reloading bench

My cobbled-together reloading "bench" must be retired with something more stable and permanent. I'm not really into the pre-fab reloading benches, while they look nice and have some nice features, they're really too small for what I'm looking for.

I saw this on another forum and I'd like to get some opinions from the people here.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93454

Yes, I know it's from Harbor Freight. Generally speaking I don't care for the stuff they sell, but if anyone has this I'd like to hear about your experiences.
Old April 16, 2009, 01:03 AM   #2
Rebel Dave

I'm looking at benches also, and have settled on one from Menards building center. It's bigger than that one at HF, but it has no drawers, it's wood also.
It is 72in long x 23in wide x 34 3/4in high, with a lower shelf. It's $100.00, but, I'm waiting for it to go on sale. If you don't have a Menards there, check out Home Depot, or Lowes, I'm sure they have prefab benches also. I plan on modifying it also.

I have out grown mine and need more room.

Dave C.
Old April 16, 2009, 02:25 PM   #3
BigAl

Madirishman, If you get this bench from Harbor, let us know what you think about it. They list the weight at over 100#, so it should be sturdy. They also have one that is 40" long. Is there a local place in Denver to pick one up?
Old April 16, 2009, 02:46 PM   #4
oneounceload

I bought a "Gorilla Rack system from Sam's Club, then took a sheet of 3/4 plywood, double layered it with glue and screws, and bolted it to the racks - which are two 4' long sections side by side. Another time I bought an 8' stock section of kitchen counter and glued and screwed plywood under it for strength then bolted it down and to the wall studs - I could stand on the overhang part and I'm 250. Both have worked well for me
Old April 16, 2009, 03:28 PM   #5
wncchester

Mad Irish, I've examined that work bench at the local HF store and it looks good for a basic loading bench. You have to assemble it of course and it may need larger bolts and screws but the needed parts are there and seem quite solid.

IF you buy it for reloading consider swapping the vise over to put it on the left end (for a right hander anyway). Then you could mount your press on the right end, near the legs for support, and use the vise as a temporary mount system for your case trimmer, concentricity gage, etc. Just mount any such tool on a block of wood and clamp it in place when you need it.

Some hard wood pegs epoxied in place can easily fill the holes on the bench top.

HF also has a really neat little 3" double ended variable speed bench grinder that has a "Dremel" type 24" flex shaft on the right end for small grinding and polishing bits. I have one that I mount in a vise on my bench and it's quite handy for lots of small reloading tasks. About $30, on sale.
Old April 16, 2009, 05:13 PM   #6
Madirishman

Thanks for all the replies. I'm still up in the air as to whether or not I am going to go for this given the pricetag and the supplier - it sounds like a sturdy unit, but I can also get a pre-fab unit for a bit more.

I'll try to get over to HF to see if they have one in stock that I can examine. I've only been there once a few years back, but there is a Harbor Freight on Alameda Avenue just east of I-225 in Aurora. It's a bit of a jaunt for me but I don't have much planned this weekend other than the possibility of ridding my ridiculously steep driveway of wet, heavy spring snow.

My current "bench" is made of the Gorilla racks as well, modified to suit my needs, but I would like a bit more elbow room and now have an opportunity to expand.

In any case, I'll report back as to what I find.
Old April 16, 2009, 08:28 PM   #7
webby4x4

The drawers look nice on the bench, and it looks sturdy enough, although, I'm like you - every thing I've bought from HF ends up in the trash inside of a year. I consider anything that I buy from there a "temporary solution". I did notice that it had a lower shelf, which may become a pain in your shins (literally). You won't be able to slide a chair up and under the work bench, which means you'll be working away from the bench to some extent, which means your back may get sore after a while. Just something to consider.

I have three of these in my shop (I've welded casters onto the bottom of two of them, so that I can roll them around), and I flush-bolted 1/8" steel plate across the top.
http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...=5&item=329601 I think I paid $99 for it (maybe less). It's incredibly strudy (I've set a complete rear axle on it, a complete transmission with transfer case, etc.).

Rick
Old April 16, 2009, 08:50 PM   #8
RamSlammer

I've checked that bench out myself at the local HF store. Junk IMO. Nothing "solid" about it. It's a glued together collection of scrap that'll start coming apart when the adhesive ages or gets exposed to humidity for a while.

For the same money, real solid lumber can be bought and put together into a great workbench. Not that hard for those with even modest carpentry skills.
Old April 16, 2009, 10:18 PM   #9
BigJakeJ1s

I built my bench from the Rockler router table leg set, but they have the legs and stretchers for you to bolt together other sizes of benches. The legs are heavy duty cold rolled steel, with four carriage bolts in each corner joint. Just add a double plywood top (or a solid core slab door, or a length of pre-fab counter top), and a plywood shelf below, and you're in business. Any home improvement center will cut plywood to size for you. The stretchers are pre-drilled for screws to fasten the shelf in place. They can also be mounted upside down to create a curb for the shelf.

Andy
Old April 26, 2009, 03:40 AM   #10
D1lazarus

Reloading Bench

I found the plans for this one online and made a few changes such as bench height and depth.

Sorry for the clutter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reloadingbench2.jpg (223.1 KB, 481 views)
Old April 26, 2009, 09:21 AM   #11
sltintexas

I made one similar to D1lazarus but with out the cabinets on top for less than $35 and it took me just a few hours.

I used plans I found here http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/w...below20xl.html and made some changes. One thing to watch out for it making it too deep. I made mine deep since I use it for things besides reloading..but if I was going to make it just for reloading it would be way too deep. can't reach the back very well.
Old April 26, 2009, 11:43 AM   #12
James R. Burke

I took a corner of the basement and claimed it as mine. Then I built it myself, by no means I am not a carpenter. It was pretty easy to do, and got most of it done in one day. Even built two cabinets for primers and powder. That way you can make it to fit the best for the area your in. I would suggest going about twice the size you thinking now. I am going to be redoing mine alittle bit for more room for storage stuff. I got lucky and had most the stuff in the garage that I needed. I think I had to buy one sheet of plywood, and a few 2X4's.
Old April 26, 2009, 11:58 AM   #13
Swiss7.5

I built mine for $103. it it shown here
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...=231150&page=6 post 129

I love it and built it to fit the space I was given by my wife.
Old April 26, 2009, 02:21 PM   #14
Tex S

This is what I'm working with...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Drawer
[IMG][/IMG]

Removeable Press Mounts
[IMG][/IMG]

A cabinet builder friend of mine built it for me. All of the shelves are adjustable, and she is solid as a rock. I bought the plans from the NRMA (National Reloading Manufacturers Association). We pretty much followed their plans exactly, with just a few modifications (like the removeable press mounts). The only bad thing is he only made me 3 removeable press mounts and I need 6. That way they can be swapped.
Old April 26, 2009, 11:39 PM   #15
D1lazarus

Mine is pretty deep as well. Like you I use it for things other than reloading. Like working on my RC cars. You can see the one on the shelf underneath. Another expensive hobby.
Old April 27, 2009, 12:52 AM   #16
jgcoastie

I built my own.

Tabletop is two pieces of 1/2", 3'x8' plywood with a piece of 7/16" piece of waferboard sandwiched between them. Held together with wood screws. Picked up a piece of 1/4" 2'x2' steel from the junkyard and bolted it to the tabletop. Press is bolted through the steel and tabletop.

Frame is 2x4's. Rear 2x4 is screwed to studs in the wall. This baby ain't movin!!!

Legs are 2x4's in an L shape.

Braces are 2x2's

All in all, I think I spent around $150 on materials.

I'll post some pics tomorrow night...
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old April 27, 2009, 09:32 PM   #17
Huskerguy

I have several sets of old kitchen base cabinets that I am converting. The older ones were solid 3/4" plywood. Put some reinforcement around the top edge and double layer the top and they work pretty well. I am actually studding out my wall right now to prepare for my bench. I struggled with where to put things, loader, powder charge, etc. Played around and think I have it figured out. Also thought the closed in front of the cabinets would be a problem but it wasn't. Turned out that I had to be far enough away from the bench it wasn't a concern. I am still not sure about height of the bench. I sit down some and stand some so right now I am planning on staying with the factory height of a kitchen cabinet. I have access to sheets of aluminum and steel for the top but not sure what I will use. I wondered if a dark color would be better than primers on aluminum. I like the set up Tex has. Pictures are always welcome!