The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old September 3, 2005, 05:24 PM   #1
Eightball

N.O.-style SHTF weapon choice

I'm not meaning to start this as some kinda insensitive hotbed, but, here goes:

If a N.O. kind of thing happend in your town, what rifle/weapons would you choose to carry, from what you currently own? This is assuming that your house/storage location of your arms isn't swamped or looted before you get your firepower "out and about". Presumably the situation would be mass destruction on a massive scale, caused by weather that was unanticipated (N.O. was ready for a class 3 or 4, but no one can prep for a 5). And, would you try to gather your buddies and distribute your arms/armaments to try and survive/ward off armed looters, or what would your plan be? After this past week, it seems that having SHTF isn't too unrealistic anymore.

I'd keep my SKS/ammo handy, and my .22LR revolver (it's all I got that works as far as handguns go).
M1 Carbine, Inland '43
Old September 3, 2005, 05:37 PM   #2
HighValleyRanch

Eightball, by the looks of your weapons you need a GLOCK!!!!

YEAH, I know from your past posts you hate them, but look at your choice of weapons so far. A glock will beat anything you have. :barf:

One weapon? glock 19!
Why over a longarm. There would be situations where I would want to conceal the fact that I have a weapon.
Old September 3, 2005, 06:54 PM   #3
stephen426

If Miami got nailed and my house was still habitable, I would probably depend on the Remington 870. I got the marine coat version with the 18" barrel. A nice shiney shotgun is usually a pretty good deterrent. I would probably have my Glock 26 or my Les Baer .45 strapped to my hip as well.

I would probably try to organize a neighborhood watch and set up road blocks at the end of the streets. I live in a gated community and the layout make it pretty easy to control. It is basically composed of 4 streets with houses on each side. There are only 2 entrances in to the community so that woud also be a very easy place to block off. My community is pretty far away from the bad areas so we probably wouldn't have that much to worry about either. Having someone posted at the gated entrance with my AR-15 would be pretty intimidating as well.
Old September 3, 2005, 08:40 PM   #4
Eightball

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighValleyRanch
YEAH, I know from your past posts you hate them, but look at your choice of weapons so far. A glock will beat anything you have
Looks like I have a fan base . Thanks for keeping up with that. However, I still hate Glocks :barf: --but I'd take one if you gave it to me....and turn it into a Carbine. But, thank you for pointing out your dislike for my arsenal--I assume it's a comeback for my anti-Glock stance . To each their own. But, why no longarm for you? Just curious.

stephen426--Sounds like you got yourself a nifty setup if anything happens. Checked out that link--would that thing be legal to have a pistol grip on it, or would it be too short?
M1 Carbine, Inland '43
Old September 3, 2005, 09:02 PM   #5
aspen1964

..if holed inside a house...a shotgun, good rifle and handgun..if going from street to street on foot....a colt 45 auto and an m1 carbine with 30 round mags...(want to move fast without extra gun weight)...
Old September 3, 2005, 09:03 PM   #6
Vitamin G

I'd take an AK and a browning hi-power.

Reliable, and the BHP is NOT a glock (I agree with you) and im not sacrificing capacity for the roving bands of idiots.
Old September 3, 2005, 09:28 PM   #7
Avizpls

Me? Full size gritty 1911 and a KelTec SU16 (its light!)

I know many people in the armed forces DO, but I dont think I could hull the AR15/M16 around all day.
Old September 3, 2005, 09:39 PM   #8
ATW525

16" AR-15 carbine... primary weapon
Sig P228 for situations when the AR-15 isn't practical to employ... 15+1 capacity for taking on mobs of looter scum
SA Mil-Spec for when all else fails
Uberti Cattleman for when even the Mil-Spec fails
Old September 3, 2005, 09:43 PM   #9
johnnymenudo

If on the move, an AR-15 M4 style with holographic sights - good tactical sling, and plenty of magazines, a Glock 17 - 9mm is abundant and gotta love the capacity. The added bonus is that these rounds and guns are in heavy use by the LE and military community and would allow the opportunity to borrow or scavenge if needed.

If I am holed up in a defensive position, the above plus any decent 12 gauge pump shotgun with high capacity - I currently have the FN Police shotgun, but anything reliable will do.

JM
Old September 3, 2005, 09:43 PM   #10
Double Naught Spy

There are a variety of SHTF weapons that might be useful. Heck several of the gun schools are putting out email mailers saying we need to take their classes just in case the rest of us ever end up in such a situation as what is going on as a result of Katrina. However, there is a huge fallacy to their logic for us needing their training and to the notion of having the right gun. All the best firearms training and weapons selection won't do squat for you when all you make it out with is the clothing on your back. It is hard to swim or tread water when you are carrying a gun or guns and ammo, and still trying to take care of your family who is in the water with you.

Think about it. During the hurricane, your house starts to come apart around you and your family. What are your critical decisions at that time. And/Or, you get through the hurricane with minor flooding and think things are going to be okay and then you realize that the minor flooding from the storm is being replaced by the fast major flooding created by the levy breaks. You don't have immediate access to a boat and now you and your family have worked your way to the roof of your home, trying to beat the water. Do you really think that you are likely to have your SHTF guns with you? Now the water rises about the level of your roof and you and your family are not flotsam. How many guns do you have not?

I am thinking that unless you had one of the little survival guns, like a Snake Charmer, that floats, then you probably are not going to be packing dead weight around with you in the event that you may need to fight/shoot somebody at some later point in time. The critical emergency at the moment will be to fight against the water-related issues such as drowning or being washed away to more hazardous areas, or being carried on the current and potentially being harmed or impaled on unseen submerged objects. I don't think too many people have managed to shoot their way out of drowning.
Old September 3, 2005, 09:45 PM   #11
MillCreek

Looking at this solely from the standpoint of what would be practical to carry on foot, I would go for one of my Ithaca 37s, my S&W 659, and in my pocket, my Taurus 650. I figure that with those choices, I should be able to scavenge ammo easily enough. I would choose the Ithaca over one of my .223 rifles.

MillCreek
Snohomish County, Washington USA
Old September 3, 2005, 09:49 PM   #12
ATW525

Quote:
There are a variety of SHTF weapons that might be useful. Heck several of the gun schools are putting out email mailers saying we need to take their classes just in case the rest of us ever end up in such a situation as what is going on as a result of Katrina. However, there is a huge fallacy to their logic for us needing their training and to the notion of having the right gun. All the best firearms training and weapons selection won't do squat for you when all you make it out with is the clothing on your back. It is hard to swim or tread water when you are carrying a gun or guns and ammo, and still trying to take care of your family who is in the water with you.

Think about it. During the hurricane, your house starts to come apart around you and your family. What are your critical decisions at that time. And/Or, you get through the hurricane with minor flooding and think things are going to be okay and then you realize that the minor flooding from the storm is being replaced by the fast major flooding created by the levy breaks. You don't have immediate access to a boat and now you and your family have worked your way to the roof of your home, trying to beat the water. Do you really think that you are likely to have your SHTF guns with you? Now the water rises about the level of your roof and you and your family are not flotsam. How many guns do you have not?

I am thinking that unless you had one of the little survival guns, like a Snake Charmer, that floats, then you probably are not going to be packing dead weight around with you in the event that you may need to fight/shoot somebody at some later point in time. The critical emergency at the moment will be to fight against the water-related issues such as drowning or being washed away to more hazardous areas, or being carried on the current and potentially being harmed or impaled on unseen submerged objects. I don't think too many people have managed to shoot their way out of drowning.
Major swim for your life flooding isn't an issue where I live, since I'm above sea level and all.
Old September 3, 2005, 09:56 PM   #13
JohnKSa
Staff

12 ga pump shotgun with heavy buckshot loads and a few slug rounds in my pocket in case I needed the extra range.

Remember to keep the scene clean--pick up your empties...
Old September 3, 2005, 10:13 PM   #14
gordo b.

Since my fueled up 19' Whaler is parked in my front yard I'd take a couple 870's , a couple cases of slugs and and a couple AK's and a sealed crate of 1320rds. A couple .45 pistols on belts with knives and clips , 500 rounds of ball , my Katadyn filter with an extra filter (although my stainless big berkey would be nice!) , 4 people with appopriate clothes in ditty bags (along with terlit paper), flashlights and batteries(litihium) couple cases of MREs and goretex sleeping bags. I THINK all this would fit in my Whaler and get me almost 100 miles inland IF the water rose the 1000ft up to my door
Old September 3, 2005, 10:28 PM   #15
MillCreek

^^^^ What, no cutlass to repel boarders?

MillCreek
Snohomish County, Washington USA
Old September 3, 2005, 11:14 PM   #16
HighValleyRanch

Eightball,
as stated, no longarm, if I only could choose one weapon it would be the glock over the longarm.

I can't swing a longarm in a crowd or in a hallway very easily, but I can hit anything out to 50 yards with my glock. that's close enough for me.

If walking through a mob type crowd,and you are carrying a longarm, you could be a target for others who want it. So a sniper might pick you off because you are carrying one. Whereas a concealed glock wouldn't make you a target, and if you needed it, it could be pulled out quick enough.
Old September 3, 2005, 11:20 PM   #17
Rpn1984

AR180B with alot of 30 round mags glock 21 for sidearm
Old September 4, 2005, 12:43 AM   #18
Clinot

Realistically one full size 45, one carbine and one shotgun. Should be more than enough to hold my home against a small group of armed intruders.

However when the point becomes where I will be overrun, it is time to field strip the carbine and scatter the parts on my journey away from home. The only arms I would take on the road fleeing towards safety or higher ground would be the shotgun and my trusty 45 with every clip I could manage in my pockets and bugout bag/knapsack.
Old September 4, 2005, 12:56 AM   #19
Limeyfellow

I would generally go with something thats going to be reliable even if it gets water and gunk inside of it so probrobly an ak47 and my smith and wesson 38special I have would be my main choices out of the firearms I got. I might even stick an Enfield in due to them being damn near impossible to break. It all depends on the situration. Usually you just need to fire off one or two shots at most to make them reconsider you as a victim for your supplies. Luckly theres no chance of flooding around here, but there is quite a number of violent people who have been in prison you have to watch out for. The biggest problem here would be a really rare hurricane and tornados or really big ice storms that don't really have the same problems, even if the last ice storm knocked out the power for 8 days.
Old September 4, 2005, 01:31 AM   #20
CarbineCaleb

A nice light quickpointing carbine like a .30 M1 with softpoints, and a Beretta 9mm Vertec in a belt holster.
Old September 4, 2005, 09:52 AM   #21
Bravo25

Let's see here. 1911A1, Glock 23, Remington 870, M16, About 2 dozen claymores, 5lbs. of C4, a few bouncing bettys, say 12 RPG's, and a dozen grenades. That would make me feel comfortable. (just wishin I had those on hand)

In reality though it would be the 1911A1, and the Glock 23 with as much ammo as I can carry.

When faced with impossible overwhelming odds, prudance would dictate the only thing left is to figure out what is possible, and to do it.

Punishment for all crimes should increase until the recitivism rate approaches zero.
Old September 4, 2005, 10:08 AM   #22
stephen426

Gordo B,

Quote:
Since my fueled up 19' Whaler is parked in my front yard I'd take a couple 870's , a couple cases of slugs and and a couple AK's and a sealed crate of 1320rds. A couple .45 pistols on belts with knives and clips , 500 rounds of ball , my Katadyn filter with an extra filter (although my stainless big berkey would be nice!) , 4 people with appopriate clothes in ditty bags (along with terlit paper), flashlights and batteries(litihium) couple cases of MREs and goretex sleeping bags. I THINK all this would fit in my Whaler and get me almost 100 miles inland IF the water rose the 1000ft up to my door
Apparently you haven't been in a hurricane. If you think your boat would be anywhere remotely near your house after a catagoy 4 or 5 storm, you are sadly mistaken. If you had it in your hurricane proof garage, and provided the flooding did not occur until the winds, died down, you might have a chance. More than likely, you won't be able to get your boat out because it will be jammed against the ceiling of your garage when it floods. Nice idea though.

Double Naught Spy,

Quote:
It is hard to swim or tread water when you are carrying a gun or guns and ammo, and still trying to take care of your family who is in the water with you.
You make a good point. I imagine it would be a pain to stay a float with all that steel and lead weighing me down. Good thing the Glock is very light! I don't think a shotgun slung over my shoulder would be too bad either. I have 3 magazines for my Glock so I would have at least 30 rounds of ammo. I guess I had better one of those shotshell bandoliers to complete the Rambo look!

We don't do too many water sports (I know its a shame living in Miami and all) so we don't have too much use for life jackets. Maybe it is time to get an inflatable raft with either a manual pump or a battery operated one. I live in a flood zone so it would probably make sense. I hope none of us ever have to worry about this but it pays to be prepared!

Last edited by stephen426; September 4, 2005 at 10:58 AM.
Old September 4, 2005, 10:24 AM   #23
TheDuke

Howdy y'all,

Speaking from personal experience...If a hurricane is coming your way, get the hell out of Dodge and bring all your guns with you!!

For the later stages of social discord, Id keep the best of what I had handy and one on my hip at all times..

Just make sure you got at least two...one to carry at all times and for protection of the old homestead from the hostiles, thugs, rapist, and marauders...and another to leave with your wife or family members when you must go out for supplies.

My personal picks are...

Remington 870, for me.
Remington 1100, for my bride..
Mini-14, for her
Springfield Armory M1A, for me.
S&W 9mm, for my sweetie..
Ruger 345, for me
Old September 4, 2005, 10:59 AM   #24
Glenn E. Meyer

I agree with all the calls for preparedness. I think having supples and an evacuation plan are more important than the gun nuance. A quality long gun and handgun will suffice.

I expect a thread that will start with :

Should I have Scuba gear to pick up the brass after TEOTWAWKI?

It is important to have a gun but I was thinking if I have enough Rx meds around so I don't just drop dead without having to fight off the zombies.

Back to guns - do you have one for your family that they might be able to use if they are not gun people? I was thinking about that. I might get a surplus 38 revolver for the nongun gals. Yes, they should train - my favorite mantra.
Old September 4, 2005, 11:16 AM   #25
claude783

Before watching the news of those poor devils down south, my choice would have been my mini-14, backed up by my BPH.

Now, I would grab my AR-7, my S&W 422 and 200 rounds of CCI Stingers. I would load my son down with a Rugar Standard .22 and the wife would have her Iver Johnson TP-22, each with 200 rounds of ammo. The wife and I would also dig out our NAA derringers in 22.

I would also take a couple of back pacs, tie them together, load them with sleeping bags, a painters drop cloth (clear plastic), attach an empty 5 gal. gas can, so they would float...

Once I had some quite, I could use the clear plastic to make a solar still. No difficult problem there with all of the plywood laying around..if nothing else, loot a some chlorine from a grocery store or pool supply house and disinfect my drinking water!

God, hope I never have to face the SHTF like they did down south...earthquakes in my area would be more than enough!
Closed Thread