The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 28, 2009, 11:57 AM   #1
diowk

can someone answer this question please?

I just bought a Dillon 550b and I need to get the dies for it. I can only get a 3-die set and it comes with the decapping/sizing die, the seating die, and the crimp die. but what about the die that bells out the case and dumps the load of powder in? why dont the sets come with a powder die? I need one dont I? is this die what I need?: http://www.dillonprecision.com/conte...lon_Powder_Die

thanks everyone
Old April 28, 2009, 01:09 PM   #2
diowk

nevermind. just picked up the owners manual and realized that it comes with a powder die. now I just need the 3 die set and a caliber conversion kit.
Old April 28, 2009, 01:13 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

You do realize that having to read the instructions puts you in tenuous standing with the Real Men's Club?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 28, 2009, 01:59 PM   #4
raxafarian

The powder die comes with the press or with a quick change kit. The powder funnel comes with the caliber conversion kit.

Depending on what you are loading you may be able to save money by not buying complete caliber conversion kits. Some parts can be used for multiple calibers.

Here's a chart showing which parts of the caliber conversion kits can be used for other calibers: http://brianenos.com/pages/dillon/cal.conv.chart.html

(his site is a wealth of information on the dillons)
Old April 28, 2009, 04:25 PM   #5
Archie

Diowk...

I truly appreciate a man who can admit his mistakes and learn from them. Nice to meet you, sir.

(Real Men read instructions. Real men can read.)

Archie
------------------------------------
One who knows and knows he knows is a leader, follow him.
One who knows and does not know he knows is confused, enlighten him.
One who does not know and knows he does not know is a student, teach him.
One who does not know and does not know he does not know is a Democrat.
Old April 29, 2009, 08:22 PM   #6
ccwtrainer

The shell plate conversion kit from Dillon comes with the correct pins to use with a particular caliber as well as the powder funnel/case belling tool to use with that caliber.
Buying extra die plates keeps your original settings and speeds up caliber change overs too.
It cost a little more but you will love the ease of changing calibers.
Old April 30, 2009, 12:18 AM   #7
dmazur

+1 to getting more toolheads. (I think that's Dillon's term for the plate that holds the dies.)

In addition, you might want to consider getting additional powder measures for each toolhead. This might be considered excessive, but if you make frequent changes between calibers, this is the way to go. The powder measure doesn't have to be detached, dumped and readjusted.

You should note that, even if you use one powder measure for different toolheads, you can buy additional powder dies to hold the powder funnels and maintain the "belling" setting on each toolhead.