The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 1, 2018, 06:26 AM   #51
DWFan

I currently own two of the large-frame Taurus revolvers; a seven-shot M607 and an eight-shot M608. The M608 uses .357 Magnum ammo loaded to a length of 1.720" and the M607 is rechambered for the .360 Dan Wesson (the .357 lengthened to 1.415"). Both have polished actions with stock springs.
Both are exceptional performers.
Old January 3, 2018, 04:29 PM   #52
larryf1952

I've owned 3 Taurus guns. I bought the "newest" one in 1993. They are a PT92, PT100 and a Model 85 snub. Over the years, the 92 finally broke the locking block, which I replaced with a Beretta unit.

I have to say that these older guns exhibit some very good quality, and they are great shooters. I've had the PT92 apart alongside my Beretta 92 Inox, and it's tough to tell that the Beretta is the higher quality piece. I just did a detail strip on the PT100 after running 700 problem free reloads through it, and it, likewise, is a very well made sidearm.

The little Model 85, which I bought in 1992, was finished in a deep and glossy blue that would rival any of the common S&W's that I've ever seen or owned. The wooden stocks were just gorgeous and well fitted. But, that 85 was a FAR cry from the 85's that I see today, with their dull and flat finishes.

Based upon what I know and have heard from other folks with more recent Taurus guns in their safes, I seriously doubt that I'd take a chance on another one.
Old January 3, 2018, 10:42 PM   #53
Bill DeShivs

Why- I was just looking at a Taurus in a dealer's case, and parts were falling off of it!
Old January 10, 2018, 10:57 AM   #54
wmg1299

I have several Taurus firearms. The Model 9482 22lr revolver is a workhorse, and my PT111 has never given me trouble. However, the extractor on my PT709 Slim failed after about 500 rounds. Taurus CS was not overly helpful, I had to pay for shipping despite the gun failing less than a year after purchase, but the turnaround time wasn't too bad. The experience did not convince me to purchase any more Taurus products.
Old January 12, 2018, 09:50 PM   #55
Soclosenotnear

At my shop, taurus had a pistol repaired and sent back in 6 days. That is just one data point. They covered shipping both ways.

I've owned plenty myself. No issues out of any I bought used, ironically. I bought a judge new. It had issues out the box. Don't own it any longer.
Old January 12, 2018, 11:15 PM   #56
Cheapshooter

My only Taurus wheel gun is a Judge Public Defender Poly I bought soon after the steel and poly framed model was introduced. It has been trouble free since I got it about five, or six years ago. I also have one Taurus semi-auto. Another of their "plastic" offerings. A 22 Poly tip barrel. It too has been flawless. I have no concerns with Taurus firearms. The 22 Long Rifle/22 Magnum interchangeable model 992 is very high on my short list. Just seems to be set back by more current wants/needs. I'm also quite intrigued by the new Spectrum.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 11, 2018, 01:27 AM   #57
9mm

Came across this thread researching “Taurus 992 revolvers”
I bought a Taurus model 94 snub nose years ago for $300 new. I put over 3,500 rounds through it trouble free outside of that 14lb DA pull. SA was a light 3lbs or lighter.

Stupidly sold it for another gun, but luckily found another new M94 last year in a gun shop this is after they discontinued the gun. Only thing different is the underlug on it, still the same m94 model snub nose. Taurus actually produced the snub nose m94 in 12+ configurations, just google m94 snub nose and count all the models, colors, and stampings of trade mark locations for yourself.

I am actually in the process of buying a 992, I have wanted one for YEARS, and they are finally back in stock at dealers, I am just trying to decide on stainless or blue. Currently I own a S&W 617, S&W 43c and my m94, while the 94 doesn't compare to these in high quality as smiths, the m94/992 does something they don't. A DA/SA model revolver in different barrel sizes along with 22mag combo for the 992, this is what draws me to the Taurus in the first place.

I am hoping that Ruger releases their lcr-x in a snub nose model. I had owned an lcr 22 for a long time then sold it, I had about 1500 rounds through it with only trouble was the dead/double trigger. If you short stroked it caused it to skip and not fire?. I recently got the 43c from S&W to replace my lcr 22. I would love a hammer on a snub nose for DA/SA practice.

Taurus isn't high quality, most of the 94's I used to touch at the gun shows and 990 along with the 992 had not so great of lock up's, especially the 94's. Mine is decent, not bad never had any problems with both of mine. The blued models were the most attractive to me because S&W nor Ruger makes blued models unless you get a K-22 masterpiece for $850+. My new one has about 300 rounds through it and has become a safe queen due to it being blue and so pretty. I guess if I had gotten a stainless model it would be abused more. I think if all or most of taurus revolvers are bad they wouldn't be in business. I just like the look of some of their models thats why I am picking up the blued model either 4 or 6.5 inch.

Also my motto has adopted cheapshooters rule, DON'T SELL ANY GUNS. I regret selling several of my pistols including my lcr 22 and my first m94.
Old February 12, 2018, 03:23 PM   #58
223 shooter

I was lured in by a Taurus 96 some years ago thinking it was at first glance a Smith 17. After looking again I realized it was indeed a Taurus but after handling it over the course of a couple visits I decided to take a chance and the store owner knocking off a few more bucks also helped.

Get to the range and fired single action - bang-bang-click-click-bang-click. Then I thought all the "Do not buy Taurus" posts were on the money. The rounds that actually fired grouped surprisingly well.

Later after removing the grips I see the hammer spring actually has an adjustment nut on it and tightening it resulted in no more misfires! The Taurus 96 ended up being a fine shooter.
Old February 22, 2018, 05:42 PM   #59
OSUCowboy67

Have two Taurus 605 357 revolvers. Have fired both heavily through the years without problems. It may have to do with how I tend to make electrical and mechanical devices last much longer than the average person does. Much of what happens with guns depends on how they are treated. Will not hesitate to purchase more Taurus guns in future. My latest new sidearm acquisition is a SW M&P 9mm and it has some serious problems my gunsmith and I are working our way through, so when someone tells me Taurus is bad and SW is great, a serious argument will ensue.
Old February 24, 2018, 09:49 AM   #60
Heavy Metal 1

I have a Taurus 357 that I bought in the early 90's and the only issue I had was entirely my fault. I had a squib that got stuck in the forcing cone. It was my own fault about the squib too. Anyway I pounded that cylinder open thinking I could just shear cut the lead bullet. I bent the crane. I contacted CS, was treated well. I sent it to them where it was promptly repaired and returned to me. The double action is not overly stiff and at single action it is as crisp as two of the Colt Pythons I have shot. Like breaking the glass rod we frequently say. It is capable of accuracy that exceeds my abilities. I had a friend that is a very accomplished handgunner shoot it and it did very well. The fit and finish is as good as any other handgun I have seen.
Old February 26, 2018, 05:51 PM   #61
41 Magnum

I have an older 6" Taurus Model 66, that has been 100% reliable & extremely accurate. I often carry it as my CCW, and have absolutely no qualms about trusting it. I hesitate to guess how many rounds have gone down range from it, but I'm sure "many thousands" both .357, & .38 Spl.
My Son-in-law has the same Taurus in a 4" Bbl., a little older than mine. His has seen many more rounds than mine ! Both are still tight fitting & have excellent finish left. Working great, & looking very good. I'll keep my 66, & he'll keep his also. As for the newer Taurus products, I have had little interest in them. I'm kind of hung up on Rugers right now, especially my newer GP100 Match Champ !! Absolutely love this gun !!!! Can't get enough of it, as we take it everywhere we go. I am currently using it for CCW !
Old February 27, 2018, 11:33 AM   #62
pete2

It seems you got about a 50/50 chance of a Taurus gun working. I sold them at a big box store, we got them back right and left, autos and revolvers. If you get a good one it's good if not it's not. S&W sells some inexpensive guns that work nearly every time.
Old February 27, 2018, 08:18 PM   #63
crystal river c

It took me buying five different Taurus hand guns before I learned my lesson!
Old February 27, 2018, 08:59 PM   #64
Bayou

I've only got one Taurus - a 1999 vintage Tracker 970 SS with a 6" tube in 22 caliber. Bought it new. Fortunately, a 100% reliable good and accurate shooter:

Bayou
NRA Life Member
"Keep Calm and Reload"
Old February 28, 2018, 10:25 AM   #65
98 220 swift

I made the mistake of buying a model 94 snub nosed 22lr. I see the leading the barrel problem is common with them. Mine would do it every 100 rounds or so. The machining was so rough in it. IT would keyhole badly after it got leaded up. Sucks it was actually a fun gun to shoot. I sold it to a friend that just had to have it. He knew about the leading problems. He took it to the range and it locked up as well. He sent it in but I have never asked him how that went. That was several years ago. I will not buy another tuarus. At least not a revolver.
Old March 1, 2018, 07:23 PM   #66
dgludwig

Quote:
It took me buying five different Taurus hand guns before I learned my lesson!
Slow learner?
Old March 2, 2018, 08:14 PM   #67
Road_Clam

When I was 1911 shopping I was looking at the Taurus 1911-9 and honestly after a close inspection even myself being a new 1911 shopper could tell it was an entry level pistol. It felt "not right". I don't want to use the term "cheap" because it really was better than that, but when put up against a 9mm SA 1911 RO for another $200 I was sold on the SA. The SA was simply much nicer built, and felt very smooth and precise. The Taurus felt gritty and "not smooth".
Old March 2, 2018, 09:53 PM   #68
GunFickle

The gun shop, who happens to sell Taurus too, told me that with Taurus some models are great and some are just dogs. The salesman was very candid about which models to buy and which ones to stay away from but I don't remember which ones he mentioned other than the curve which he didn't like. He did mention that their revolvers seem to be trouble free. My only Taurus is their .380 TCP. It had an issue with ball ammo activating the last round hold back prematurely. I should have sent it back but, I ended up filing off the hold back tab and now it functions like a kel-tec. I've put over 500 rounds through it now and it is fine.
Old March 3, 2018, 12:29 PM   #69
4V50 Gary
Staff

I will not carry a Taurus as a woods gun. On revolvers, the transfer bars are notorious for breaking.
Old March 3, 2018, 03:23 PM   #70
Mike38

Quote:
I was just looking at a Taurus in a dealer's case, and parts were falling off of it!
It was on the internet, so it has to be true!
Old March 4, 2018, 02:03 AM   #71
JoeSixpack

Taurus has terrible CS rep, I've never had to send one back to them but I can't say my experience with the companies after sale is great either, part availability sucks, and I hear it's worse since the class action they won't sell you squat always wanting the gun to be sent in for even trivial things.

I've got 8, none of them have had issues enough to send in, But I'll probably stop buying them the first time they deny selling me springs or guide rods or what ever.. that'll be the day Taurus is dead to me.

Till then I'll just shoot them till they blow up and then sue the dog snot out of them.
Old March 7, 2018, 09:32 AM   #72
hardcastonly

every time I briefly mentally toy with the concept Of buying a Taurus I read threads like this...
probably why I only own & use S&W, glock,EAA,CZ,DAN WESSON, and ruger handguns.
no mechanical device is flawless, all mechanical devises require proper maintenance,inspection,
cleaning and lubrication,
but some brands have a well deserved reputation for durability and accuracy
one of the local gun-shops was owned by a friend (who recently passed in his 80s) who would only sell tauras, lorsen,and rossi, handguns,
if you insisted on ordering and buying one, and he would start the conversation by informing you,
that he would not take it back or service it if you bought one,
he said many times Id rather loose a potential sale,
than allow a customer to walk out with something that's not dependable.
now that was not the only brand's he tried too avoid selling,
but he was one totally honest guy and would tell you if you asked,
( exactly what brands he had constantly had issues and returns on, and what worked with very few issues)
(I REALLY wish DAN WESSON would bring back the larger revolvers and accessories like spare barrels)

Last edited by hardcastonly; March 7, 2018 at 09:58 AM.
Old March 7, 2018, 12:55 PM   #73
V-fib

I have a few Taurus /rossi firearms. the first was a PT22 which literally came apart from firing it. That one I sent back and it came back pretty fast about 2 weeks. I promptly traded it for a 94 revolver and it has served me well. However I learned that any further purchases of Taurus/Rossi products are best done through a dealer like Davidson's that have their own warranty. I had to send a Taurus 627 back for light primer strikes. I sent it back to Davidsons and it was returned fixed within 2 weeks. I think budsgunshop has the same type warranty. That's the only way I will buy from Taurus. However I have to say customer service and delivery direct from Taurus was very fast when I had to buy a new rear sight for my 94.
Old March 7, 2018, 01:13 PM   #74
Remington74

I have a Taurus M85 Ultra-lite and it runs like a champ, no problems whatsoever. Maybe I should put it on an anvil and beat it with a ball-peen hammer to see if I can duplicate the problems some of the posters listed. A shooting buddy has a M92 Taurus (A Beretta clone/knock off) that has had no problems either. Problems listed on the internet should be considered as to what you paid for them.
Old March 7, 2018, 02:05 PM   #75
moosemike

I have a Taurus TCP that I like.