The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 16, 2013, 09:48 AM   #1
THERAVEN

Reloading slugs

I want to get back into reloading shotgun shells. I want to do slugs. Can I use shot casings or do I need to use only slug casings.
Old January 16, 2013, 10:06 AM   #2
paknheat

Interested in this myself, tagged for further interest .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old January 16, 2013, 12:00 PM   #3
jrinne0430

You can use either. I use Winchester AA or Federal Gold Metal hulls when loading Lee 1oz slugs.
Old January 17, 2013, 07:30 PM   #4
Catfish

I`m definately not a Lee fan, but I have a friend that is casting slugs with the new Lee slug and is haveing real good luck with them. He is loading AA hulls and the AA wads.
Old January 17, 2013, 10:51 PM   #5
oldandslow

tr, 1/18/13

I've spent the past two years experimenting with different 12 gauge slug loads and finally found what works for my pig hunting at ranges of less than 100 yards in heavy brush.

First step is to take a look at the www.castboolits.gunloads.com shotgun loading subforum and also over at www.shotgunworld.com in the slugshooters subforum. Both are very helpful. Next, for supplies look at www.ballisticproducts.com they have almost everything you'll need to load slugs.

I've tried the Lyman 525 grain slug, the BPI shuttlecock slug, the Foster's slug and the Gualandi fullbore slug with attached wad. All were in a smoothbore barrel. I've tried multiple hulls, wad and shot card combinations and even filling the rear cavity of some of the slugs with epoxy resin but only got good results (sub-3" 50 yard groups) with the Gualandi slug. Since these come from Italy I didn't want to depend on a supplier half a world away from my location.

The final best answer was to order a slug mold from Tom at www.accuratemolds.com. I got the 770 grain slug mold and figured out a magic load with Blue Dot (thanks to the CB and SGW forum members) that groups well and goes in one side of a wild pig and out the other leaving a 0.730" hole. I changed out the barrel to a rifled one after getting frustrated with the smoothbore.

Take a look at the above sites (which also have info on the Lee slug), and see if it helps you. Good luck.

best wishes- oldandslow
Old January 18, 2013, 12:05 AM   #6
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Might want to visit Ballistic Products web site for a looks see. Afterwards. You just may want to try roll crimping your slugs.
Old January 18, 2013, 08:35 AM   #7
kraigwy

I believe in keeping it simple. About the only thing I use shotguns for now days is 3 gun. I use an old Remington 870 Police Riot gun with an 18 inch smooth barrel.

In three gun, you don't shoot that far, you are required to shoot bird shot, slugs and buck shoot.

Like I said, I keep it simple, I use WW AA Hulls, AA wads, and a Mec 1 oz charge bar.

I load 1 oz of 8 shot, and Lee's 1 oz slug, and I use a Lee round ball mold that makes .319 balls at 48 grns, which I stick 9 into the same AA hulls and wads.

Recoil is the same across the board, the buck shot and bird shot pattern plenty good enough for the distance we shoot, and I have no problem hitting an 8 inch circle with my slug loads at 50 yards (again, within the distances we shoot).

The only modification I do to the above loads is I use a magic marker to mark which shell is buck shot or slugs.

I have other charge bars for my Mec 600 If I decide to go bird hunting, but there aren't many birds around here. Or I have the set up for trap and skeet loading if I decide to get back into those games.

You really don't have to get all fancy with slug loading.

Some people deer hunt with shot guns, If I was to do that I have faith in my slugs, but I'd probably put a bit more powder behind my buck shot loads.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old January 18, 2013, 09:33 PM   #8
Xfire68

kraigwy, what powder and charge are you using?
Old January 19, 2013, 12:35 AM   #9
kraigwy

I use the Mec #31 powder bushing throwing 18.5 grs. of Red Dot
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old January 14, 2018, 12:25 AM   #10
mehavey

Well, I posted a string of a serious series of experimental slug loads -- including
a text intro that the string was 5 years old. When I hit 'submit', it dumped me
to a warning page, and told me to return to the previous page and hit the
warning/acknowledgement "checkbox"of an old string...

..... and erased the post.

So..... a bottom-line/single pic is what's left of my after-midnite energy:

Old January 14, 2018, 01:37 PM   #11
T. O'Heir

OP is 4 years old.
Old January 14, 2018, 02:06 PM   #12
mehavey

Quote:
OP is 4 years old
I am aware. But I would believe not an issue if/when new/actual data presented for those who might want to update on something that actually works -- and starting a new thread on the exact same subject would be repetitive.
Old January 14, 2018, 06:48 PM   #13
IMtheNRA

Mehavey,. If you feel like posting your experiments and data, I'm sure lots of us would love to see it!
Old January 14, 2018, 09:05 PM   #14
globemaster3

You've definitely got my attention! Although since leaving OK where I was slug hunting on Ft Sill and IL where it was slug-only for deer, I have not used my shotguns for deer. It got old paying $12-15 for a box of 5 sabot slugs!

Ive thought of returning to Ft Sill for their special hog season in Mar-Apr timeframe and would love to turn my Mec Sizemaster and some of my AA bulls into cheaper, accurate sabot rounds!

"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."
Old January 15, 2018, 12:11 AM   #15
mehavey

This is the other combo of various hulls/powders/wadcups that worked (dramatically) well.

Four Notes:

- Blue Dot again
- Cheap Rio Hulls (any Cabelas) starcrimped, Claybuster/Fed 12S3 equivalent cup that seals straightwall shells
- Much easier on shoulder at 1,225 (vice the AA 1,480 load)
- (Surprisingly) Same POI at 50 yds
Old January 15, 2018, 10:42 PM   #16
Chainsaw.

Old post or not that info is greatly appreciated mehavey. Fantasic results. Now I just need you to work up that good of a load with .690 pumkin balls for me!
Old January 16, 2018, 10:42 AM   #17
2wheelwander

Timely post! I agree with Globemaster3, slugs ain't cheap and reloading them is. Indiana was slug only/deer as a kid, then they allowed some pistol around 15-20 years ago, now many high powered rifles are allowed (finally get to use my .444).

Casting and reloading my own slugs seems like a very interesting and fun prospect. I appreciate all the input here. I personally use an 1100 smoothbore slug barrel. Just never dropped the $ for a rifled barrel after I made a lung shot on a 9 pointer that dressed to 213 lbs - off hand at 120 yds, open sights. Maybe dumb luck but I'm still proud of that one!
Old January 16, 2018, 11:30 AM   #18
Tsquared

Mehavey, your slug load is almost identical to what my dad loaded back in the 70's. He had a sabot carrier that had spiral ridges that supposedly simulated refiling for the smooth bore shotguns. He cast his slugs and were just over 500 gr. and used Blue Dot.
Old January 17, 2018, 09:43 AM   #19
JeepHammer

The thread might be 4 years old, but I learned something I'm just getting around to...
Old January 17, 2018, 11:49 AM   #20
Nathan

Are you guys shooting these in rifled barrels?

I used the Lyman slug + AA 3” hulls....need to check my notes on the wad and powder.

The key is finding a load....when I was doing it, I had a hard time finding waa12 wads.

Also, a powder measure or dispenser was a must as Lee didn’t have a bushing for the high charge weight!