The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 4, 2019, 11:27 PM   #1
idek

comparing old and new Leupold 1.5-4x20mm scopes

I've recently been looking a Leupold 1.5-4x20mm scope. I don't want a tactical reticle or high turrets.

So my searches led me to three main options (though I imagine there could be more):

1.5-4x20mm VX-Freedom
1-4x20mm VX-2*
1-4x20mm VX-HOG*

*I know these two are discontinued, but there are some on Ebay.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that all of them have a low end of 1.5x, even if the name implies a 1x.

I know the VX-HOG comes with the Pig-Plex reticle, most of the VX-2s have a standard duplex, and it looks like the VX-Freedom comes with either of those reticles.

Last thing I noticed is that the VX-Freedom is listed at 9.6oz. while the other two are 8.1oz.

Can anyone explain any other differences in turrets, glass quality, parallax, etc.?
Old February 5, 2019, 07:46 AM   #2
P-990

Forgive me if I'm a little off, as I'm working from memory, but I do believe you are correct in saying all 3 of those scopes have the same power range.

The VX-Freedom supposedly has glass roughly equivalent of the previous VX-2 line. This may be true, as to my eyes the VX-Freedom has very good glass, particularly at the price point. I have the VX-Freedom 1.5-4x20mm and think it's a solid scope.

The VX-HOG is basically a VX-1 with a funny Hog Plex reticle. I don't care for reticles that aren't duplex, mostly because they start to look busy to me. The VX-1 will have less low-light performance than the VX-2, which you won't notice standing in a store or on a bright, open range.

The VX-Freedom has some changes to the aesthetics to facilitate manufacture. I'm not a fan of the squared-off sections around the turrets, which is probably the most obvious visual concession to ease of production. The clicks on the adjustments are good but could be more positive feeling. Mine has been spun through the middle of it's adjustment range fairly regularly, as I keep swapping it between rifles. So far it's been on a Remington 700 in .30-06, a 10/22 (back and forth a couple times) and it now rests in a CZ527FS in .223 until I decide what I want for a final power range on that rifle. Then it will likely go back on the 10/22.

Which may be my final take away: the VX-Freedom is a good scope, but I'm not enthralled with it. It doesn't have the classic lines of the older VX-x or FX-x scopes (of which I have several). But that's more of my personal aesthetic taste than an indictment of the scope. It's fundamentally a very good scope. As would be a VX-2 1-4x20mm, or a VX-3i 1.5-5x20mm.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old February 5, 2019, 11:36 AM   #3
idek

Thanks for the input. I think I'll opt for a VX-2. One thing I've liked about Leupold was their tendency to make scopes sleeker and lighter than other companies. Their VX-freedom line seems to give up that benefit.
Old March 1, 2019, 02:33 AM   #4
bamaranger

1-4x

I've not looked at the Freedom line, but have three 1-4x Vari-X-iia's. All have been back to Leupold for a reticle change (German #1). At the time I had same done, the Vari-Xiia's were the oldest scopes that Leupold was offering reticle changes on, the reticle assemblies an scopes any older, were not compatible with their replacement hardware.

The Hog Scope was a a "NO" for me as I did not care for the "HOG PLEX" lettering in the field of view. I could live with the hold-off points, but print????
C'mon guys.

Last time I checked Ebay, 1-4x scopes were scarce.
Old March 4, 2019, 09:30 PM   #5
reynolds357

I have the Vxpig with pig plex on one of my 450 Busaster ARs. I agree the word pig pled being visible is dumb, but it's a great scope. Much brighter than expected. Pig plex works great for 450 holdover.