The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 4, 2019, 01:59 AM   #1
Kaliburz

The Black Powder bug has bit me....

Well, I have not been online here in a long time. It ended up being that way, life & little time... I was amazed that my info said I registered back in 2000 or 2001... wow... and less then 125 post to boot.

Any how, as the tittle says, the black powder bug has bit me... again. I had an old kit muzzle loader (45 cal) given to me while back, got it working, but not 100% "finished". It got parked into a corner... may have to go revisit it...sometime.

Any how, the B&C bug hit... ran accross a Ruger Old Army at a shop I frequent. It came home with me. Have yet to shoot it. I think my BP powder is old (forgot what it was, if it is true BP or other... friend gave it to me when we worked on that 45 cal BP rifle).

And just recently, found an Umberti 1858 BP carbine on Gunbroker... didn't look like it was fired in a while. LOL, had to use a hardwood dowel to pound the cylinder pin T to get it out. The pin was dragging on the barrel. Online research said that sometimes the "flat" on them is not flat enough & bind. This was rubbing right at the T part & underside of the barrel where the T sits. Hate to say it, but the backyard gunsmith took effect... medium & fine grit emery cloth, & 30 min later, said pin was removable by light hand pressure. And I used a flat steel plate with emery cloth. Not by hand...I layed the emery cloth on a steel plate & moved the pin to adjust its clearance. I was surprised that the flat part of said pin was NOT blues when I removed it.

Have yet to shoot it. Barrel looks dusty, so will clean it first. I noticed that Kirst has their 1858 Remington Pale Rider cylinder on sale. Granted, $400 is pricey just to shoot 45 ACP or 45 Colt... but it ia 2 cylinders & the cover....
Old February 4, 2019, 12:28 PM   #2
arcticap

That black powder bug sure gives people the itch, eh?

Last edited by arcticap; February 5, 2019 at 12:48 PM.
Old February 4, 2019, 04:48 PM   #3
AKexpat

Considerations?

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/19...colt-long-colt

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...g-colt-5-round

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...45-acp-5-round

Jim
To be governed – is to be watched, inspected, directed, indoctrinated, numbered, estimated, regulated, commanded, controlled, law-driven, preached at, spied upon, censured, checked, valued, enrolled – by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom, nor the virtue to do so. - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
Old February 5, 2019, 09:08 AM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

I found you can have just as much if not more fun with a smokepole as you can with an AR. It costs a whole heckuva lot less too and the technology (for me) is fascinating.
Old February 12, 2019, 07:28 PM   #5
Peashooterjoe

Well the bug hit you and cant have just one my wife calls it a powder disease. LOL Peashooterjoe
Old February 12, 2019, 08:13 PM   #6
Pahoo

Ya got it right !!!

Quote:
The Black Powder bug has bit me....
Take comfort in the fact that it's a very friendly and rewarding BUG. I'm big into the Traditionals and associated history. I got the bug so bad/good that I do a bit of teaching. ……

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; February 14, 2019 at 11:56 AM.
Old February 14, 2019, 03:02 AM   #7
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

Here is a terrific video about the Remington carbine done by Mike Beliveau.

Take note of what he says about NOT putting your hand in front of the cylinder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yroLHtjFowI

I suggest if you want to shoot cartridges in it you look at the SIX SHOT 45 Colt cylinder offered by Taylors. Nobody else makes a six shot 45 caliber cylinder for the Remington 1858, only Taylors.

https://www.taylorsfirearms.com/acce...remington.html

I put one of these cylinders in my old EuroArms Remmie a long time ago, probably close to 20 years ago now.

I recommend this style of cylinder over the gated cylinders offered by Kirst. Because it is so quick to pop the cylinder out of a Remington, I did not feel the need for the gated version. The other thing is, because they lacked a raised bushing on the front of the cylinder, the 1858 design tends to bind up very quickly with BP fouling that works its way onto the cylinder pin. I find that a quick wipe of the cylinder face with a damp cloth every time I pop the cylinder out to reload keeps the fouling down and allows me to shoot one for quite a few rounds without it binding up.
Old February 15, 2019, 02:18 PM   #8
T. O'Heir

Buy a copy of Lyman's BP Handbook and Reloading Guide(direct from Lyman). Shooting BP isn't remotely close to smokeless. Starting with it's loaded in grains by volume not mass.
Old February 16, 2019, 02:18 PM   #9
SIGSHR

You could take up reenacting. We shoot a lot-but we don't have to worry about accuracy!
Old February 16, 2019, 11:28 PM   #10
Kaliburz

Thanks for all the info.

For the Ruger Old Army, I went & picked up a Kirst Konverter when the ROA cylinders were on sale. Got two cylinders, 45 LC & 45 ACP.... for maximum versatility. I tried the ACP w/ some ball ammo (online folks say the ROA can handle it...) only shot 10 rounds. Saw an auction of 45 ACP lead, but missed it. It was Ultramax.... can't find any more LRN 45ACP. Oh well. Have yet to get 45LC... and I haven't tried the BP cylinder yet. The 10 rounds seemed to shoot high, but it was just at a can in a dry irrigation drain ditch next to the farm...not target paper...

The 1858 Carbine, still mulling if I want the 6 shot or 5. But, I didn't see that Taylor offered a 45ACP cylinder.... and the Kirst 45ACP tempts me....

And a guy at the gun shop said he had some 44 cal pistol Pyrodex pellets I could have. He bought it by mistake when buying for his muzzle loader...
Old February 18, 2019, 02:20 PM   #11
bladesmith 1

It sounds like the BP bug didn't bite too bad if all you're doing is using nitro cartridge loads, or are those 45 loads BP ? Try shooting those guns the way they were made to, with BP and a round ball or bullet loaded with the loading lever. You're going to be missing a lot of fun.
Old February 18, 2019, 03:45 PM   #12
Pahoo

It all starts with a bight or a sting

Quote:
It sounds like the BP bug didn't bite too bad if all you're doing is using nitro cartridge loads, or are those 45 loads BP ?
Well, some bugs bight and others sting. When I got bit, it was bad and now happy to say that I am contagious. …..

Be Safe !!!
Old February 19, 2019, 07:05 PM   #13
Kaliburz

Oh, I will eventually. I was being "cheap" on the powder & shot.... so instead I bought the converstion cylinders.... go figure!
Old February 20, 2019, 04:20 PM   #14
bladesmith 1

OK. Is there something in the drinking water up there ?

Last edited by bladesmith 1; February 20, 2019 at 04:38 PM.
Old February 20, 2019, 07:16 PM   #15
2wheelwander

I recently had a Taylors Army given to me. Also just bought a Lee 20 lb pot. Won't be long till a .45 ball mold shows up. I plan on getting this one out when the weather turns nice again.
Old February 21, 2019, 05:45 PM   #16
Hawg

Quote:
Oh, I will eventually. I was being "cheap" on the powder & shot.... so instead I bought the converstion cylinders.... go figure!
How did you figure cartridges would be cheaper?
Old February 22, 2019, 07:56 PM   #17
Road_Clam

Don't get me wrong, I love everything guns, i'm mainly a long gun guy, and I enjoy bolts, semi's and levers. Belonging to a gun club is a poison ! I actually mean this in a jesting type statement. About 3 years ago I made the mistake of allowing a fellow club member to let me shoot his 1884 Trap Door loaded with the true "holy black" , I shot it and that unique smell, the huge cloud, and my aching shoulder and I was hooked. So jump to present day and i've got a 1874 Sharps 45-70, an 1884 TD , Harper's Ferry .58 cal flintlock pistol , 1858 Navy .44 C&B , and a .50 cal flintlock Pennsylvania. That true BP sulfur smell puts a smile on yer face every time the trigger is pulled !!
Old February 23, 2019, 12:46 AM   #18
Hawg

Quote:
1858 Navy .44
Navies both Remington and Colt are .36 caliber. Pietta makes a Colt 51 in .44 but Colt never did. Just sayin.
Old February 23, 2019, 07:55 AM   #19
Road_Clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg
Navies both Remington and Colt are .36 caliber. Pietta makes a Colt 51 in .44 but Colt never did. Just sayin.

Sorry Hawg for the misinformation, I have the Pietta repro 1858 Army in 44 cal C&B
Old February 28, 2019, 03:52 PM   #20
bladesmith 1

Be really cool and call them NMA 1863, the first year they were delivered. Before was Beals and Elliots revolvers that looked pretty much like the NMA, but weren't.

Last edited by bladesmith 1; February 28, 2019 at 03:59 PM.
Old February 28, 2019, 04:11 PM   #21
Hawg

Quote:
Be really cool and call them NMA 1863, the first year they were delivered. Before was Beals and Elliots revolvers that looked pretty much like the NMA, but weren't.
I'm afraid the 1858 moniker is stuck as hard and fast as .45 "Long" Colt is.
Old February 28, 2019, 08:10 PM   #22
pwc

Go to castboolets.gunloads.com....muzzleloading / my black powder.

Last edited by pwc; February 28, 2019 at 10:19 PM.