The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 18, 2018, 10:29 PM   #26
rcollier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spats McGee View Post
CC takes a little time and practice to get used to it. When I started carrying, I felt like everybody and their dog could see that I was. The fact that I carried a 5" 1911 probably didn't help. Over time, and with a series of adjustments to pistol, wardrobe and attitude (not necessarily in that order), that feeling went away. Bear in mind that I work in courthouses and other government buildings, so I had the same "no carry at work" dilemma that you do, OP.

I'll make the following suggestions:
1. If you haven't already, get a proper gun belt. It's the foundation of your whole carry system and makes a huge difference in comfort.
2. Put some effort in to making sure you carry when away from work. After a while, you'll get used to the extra weight and, eventually, start to feel a little naked when you don't have it.
3. If your waistband feels tight with IWB, either get bigger pants, or an OWB holster. For each of the guns that I carry on my belt, I have one IWB and one OWB leather. My favorites: (1) IWB = Stealth Gear Revolution; and (2) OWB = DeSantis Speed Scabbard.

What's your work wardrobe like? I'm fortunate in that I wear suits or sport coats constantly. I'm also "a man of a certain age," so people expect to see me in a sport coat. It's a great cover garment.

Good luck!
Thanks for all the advice.
Number one thing on the list is a good gun belt!
For all the guys with a drawer full of holsters, too bad there isn’t a holster exchange program. If you don’t like it you could trade with another person until you find that elusive perfect holster.
I really appreciate all the advice.

Spats,
How do you get by carrying at work when it is not allowed, especially in a court house situation?
Old December 19, 2018, 05:49 AM   #27
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcollier View Post
Thanks for all the advice.
Number one thing on the list is a good gun belt!
For all the guys with a drawer full of holsters, too bad there isn’t a holster exchange program. If you don’t like it you could trade with another person until you find that elusive perfect holster.
I really appreciate all the advice.
I've considered the holster exchange idea, and kind of wish we'd had it 10 years ago.

Quote:
Spats,
How do you get by carrying at work when it is not allowed, especially in a court house situation?
Simple. I didn't carry where it wasn't allowed. I hid a safe (like this one) in my car. Put gun on, drive work, put gun in safe.
Old December 19, 2018, 08:21 AM   #28
jar

Like many, I have never found the one solution, the one answer, the perfect holster, but rather I've found dozens of perfect for this gun in this situation holsters.

For deep concealment I prefer pocket carry, and today there are lots of fantastic tiny handguns in 32acp and 380acp. Two I often carry are my Ruger LCP and my Beretta Pico. The most common holsters are either my decades old Alessi or the one that came with the Ruger LCP.

Moving to In the Waistband carry I usually also move up in the size of guns, most often either my Sig P230, East German Makarov or Star UltraStar.

Revolvers (my primary choice) and even larger semi-automatics most often are carried in an On the Belt holster.

It's all about you. In all cases, even for pocket carry, a good quality gun belt really helps.
Old December 19, 2018, 09:42 AM   #29
Winny

Quote:
I have tried different holsters and still haven’t found them comfortable. I wonder if it is a result of the fact that I can’t carry daily so I can’t get completely used to it?
I don't know where the idea that carrying a gun is meant to be "comfortable" came from. Its a tool that you should have on you everyday "just in case."

That said, with such a small gun, pocket carry is an easy, comfortable option. A leather slide OWB holster would be quite comfortable as well and very easy to conceal.

I think of my holster as my work clothes. I wear them everyday, I am used to the feel of them, I do not mind them on, BUT when I get home i kick off my dress shoes, undo my tie, and remove my holster. It isn't uncomfortable, per say, but at the end of the day its steel and polymer held close against my growingly tubby body. That aint a perfect picture of comfort.

Get something that you can make it through the day without it hurting you. No chafing, no scratches, no digging into you. It may be uncomfortable at first, but you'll learn to ignore it as it becomes a part of your daily outfit.
Old December 19, 2018, 12:07 PM   #30
adamBomb

I started carrying all of the time when I started pocket carrying. Its so easy, works with 95% of my outfits. Its comfortable and super easy. I have 2 pocket carry guns - sw bodyguard and ruger lcp. Both are roughly the same size. I prefer the SW because it has a safety and I prefer a safety, especially for pocket carry even though its in a pocket holster.
Old December 19, 2018, 02:51 PM   #31
TunnelRat

A lot of it boils down to finding the right holster and belt combination. You stated you're already going to get one, but a good belt can make a huge difference. Beyond that, the number of holster makers these days honestly baffles me. Even once you pick a type of holster there are likely tens of makers that have similar holsters, and in my experience even the same design from different makers can be noticeably different in both comfort and concealability.
Maintain situational awareness
Old December 19, 2018, 05:13 PM   #32
Leaf

Spats McGee, just to play it safe I would get a similar safe but one equipped with no less than a six digit passcode rather than just a key. I’ve seen cops take keys from individuals, open the safe, then claim in their police report the gun was being carried unlawfully in the car because the gun wasn’t being transported properly in the trunk or a locked container (assuming you don ‘t have a ccw permit). Sadly and unfortunately, for various reasons some officers DO lie and commit perjury.
Old December 20, 2018, 10:40 AM   #33
USNRet93

I don't know how y'all do pocket carry. I bought a 'thin' pocket carry holster, I'm no slim-jim, so my pants aren't tight by any means but the gun(LCP) was such an obvious 'lump' in my jeans..Obvious jokes aside, it just seemed to obvious for me to do it.
This isn't me but that's the idea..

I now have a clipdraw and as soon as I get it back from my son, who's painting the sights..I'll try that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg y9ute6az.jpg (116.4 KB, 18 views)

"Tools not Trophies”
Old December 20, 2018, 11:27 AM   #34
peterg7

How long did it take you to get used to EDC?

I don’t buy the box full of holsters notion, you just need to put some thought into it.

For training classes get an OWB, kydex seems to be the standard. I use a shirt 1 size bigger and tall to cover this “Big” rig when CC.

For days when I want the gun up tight to the body it’s IWB, teeshirt or other type shirt will suffice for CC.

I’m poor so I don’t chase magic holsters instead I buy good quality for a good price and make it work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old December 20, 2018, 10:35 PM   #35
300Whspr

I'd recommend trying the AlienGear CloakTuck 3.5.

I bought one for my Ruger SR40c, and I literally forget it is there. It IS that comfortable.

They give you a "30 Day Test Drive" and will take it back no questions asked if you don't like it.

I love mine, and I now carry 300% more often than I did with my previous holster.
Old December 21, 2018, 09:12 AM   #36
rcollier

Gun belt is on the way!!
Thanks again for all the advice
Old December 21, 2018, 09:29 AM   #37
Ed4032

I forget my wallet more often than I forget to carry a gun.
Old December 21, 2018, 10:24 AM   #38
Jim567

I will second or third getting a good gun belt.

The humorous but truthful upside is that it makes it easy to put your pants on in the morning.

The stiff belt holds you pants waist wide open making an easier target for you legs.

This assuming you are wearing the same trousers as the day before.

Really lol!!!
Old December 21, 2018, 10:27 AM   #39
300Whspr

When you guys are saying "gun belt", what exactly are you referring to?

For instance, my "gun belt" is a Carhartt 1 1/2" wide leather belt. Are there belts available specifically for CCW?
Old December 21, 2018, 10:58 AM   #40
K_Mac

Quote:
I’m poor so I don’t chase magic holsters instead I buy good quality for a good price and make it work.
There are many of us who have limited funds. There are countless holsters that can be made to work. Finding what works best is the challenge. I've tried a bunch of holsters; some I haven't had to buy, and several I have. Sometimes it takes some wear to really know if a holster is acceptable or not. A simple and cheap Remora tuckable is what I use most often, carried AIWB. That certainly not the best for everyone. It may not even be the best for me, but it is the best to date. I will keep looking. I will let you know when the "magic" one appears!
Old December 21, 2018, 02:15 PM   #41
Leaf

300Whspr, I can't speak for everybody else but I think they are talking about heavy duty regular leather belts you can get from various vendors. They are capable of supporting the additional weight of a holster and handgun but aren't big, wide, honker types of belts like what we commonly refer to in law enforcement as a Sam Brown or an officer's "bat belt" (as in Batman).
Old December 21, 2018, 02:24 PM   #42
BillG174

The choice of a holster is very subjective and a personal thing because everyone’s body is built a little differently. I guess I am lucky because I only tried a Crossbreed before finding the Nate Squared holster.

I have two Nate Squared (N82) Tactical Professional IWB tuckable holsters, www.n82tactical.com. Tuckable means your shirt can be tucked in around the outside of the holster. One is for my Glock 17 Gen 4 and the other one is for my Glock 30 Gen 4. N82 sells several types of holsters but I like their Professional model best. It is a single clip holster that I wear at 9 to 9:30 (right behind my 2nd belt loop) as I am left handed. Some people don’t like a single clip because they say the holster moves around. Mine settles into my left hip and doesn’t move around at all. It is all day wearing comfort. Because it is a single clip instead of a double clip it is very quick and easy to put on and take off which I really like.

The Professional has 3 layers of material. A very soft suede backing that sits against your body inside your belt, then a rubber neoprene layer to block moisture from reaching the gun and the soft black leather on the outside of the holster that the gun sits next to. No part of the gun ever touches your body. I always wear a T-shirt under my outer shirt. The gun slides into a poly carbonate which has retention and trigger guard protection.

N82 has a lifetime guarantee and a 30 day trial. Their products and customer service is absolutely superior.

While talking about holsters, it is very important to have a good gun belt to hold and support the weight of the holster and gun. You shouldn’t use a “department store” belt as it is not thick enough or rigid enough. I highly recommend a Bigfoot gunbelt www.gunbelts.com. I have a 18 ounce belt with a stainless steel core between the two layers of English bridle leather. Their quality and customer service is also superior and they have a trial period too.

Freedom Is Not Free
SAF, GOA, Kansas State Rifle Association
Old December 21, 2018, 03:23 PM   #43
dstryr

Agree w/ BillG, very subjective. I know I won't be particularly comfortable carrying. I don't hide anything well so 6 oclock concealed is about it and open carry is somewhat rare. I like the DeSantis iwb holsters, like my 106-80. I liked the earlier models that used a steel belt hook and two rivets into the holster. Now they use a plastic belt hook and one rivet. I'm probably done with them because of that. But.. they work for me. When I open carry its with a blackhawk CQC retention holster. I have a good sturdy Carhartt leather belt. It holds the IWB and CQC holsters very well. I do not spend money on purpose-advertised accessories. I buy and use what works in any part of my daily life.

http://www.dstryr.com/
Old December 21, 2018, 03:50 PM   #44
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300Whspr View Post

For instance, my "gun belt" is a Carhartt 1 1/2" wide leather belt. Are there belts available specifically for CCW?
Yes. They tend to be stiffer than your average belt and much stiffer than most of the dress belts I've ever encountered. (TBH, your Carhartt 1.5" is likely stiffer than most dress belts I've encountered.) Some even come with an internal stiffener.

Beltman: https://www.thebeltman.net/
A&G Custom Leather: https://agcustomgunleather.com/
Bigfoot: http://gunbelts.com/
Mean Gene: http://www.meangeneleather.com/

That's just a handful of some that I have bookmarked. Virtually every major holster maker, and even the custom holster makers, make their own belts.
Old December 21, 2018, 03:53 PM   #45
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Gun belt is on the way!!
Thanks again for all the advice
Well, don't leave us hanging! What did you get?
Old December 21, 2018, 05:14 PM   #46
blackwidowp61

rcollier, did you decide on a holster to go along with the belt?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFCrJleggrI
Old December 21, 2018, 06:04 PM   #47
rcollier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spats McGee View Post
Well, don't leave us hanging! What did you get?
I am going to get the belt and then try a couple of my current holsters and go from there.
I will keep you all in the loop as I make my journey.
Old December 21, 2018, 08:18 PM   #48
TunnelRat

Quote:
I have a good sturdy Carhartt leather belt. It holds the IWB and CQC holsters very well. I do not spend money on purpose-advertised accessories. I buy and use what works in any part of my daily life.
It's great you have a good belt. I'm not sure why buying purpose-advertised accessories is apparently mutually exclusive with buying something that works in any part of daily life. It's just a belt. Some of the gunbelts, as described above, are stiffer than others or may have some degree of reinforcement. They still hold up pants and function as belts. I don't think anyone is passing judgement on you. When I think gunbelt I think a belt that's stiffer than a dress belt.

Last edited by TunnelRat; December 22, 2018 at 10:10 AM.
Old December 22, 2018, 10:05 AM   #49
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
…I don't think anyone is passing judgement on you. When I think gunbelt I think a belt that's stiffer than a dress belt.
No, I don’t think anyone (myself included) was passing judgment on that.
Old December 22, 2018, 01:26 PM   #50
300Whspr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spats McGee
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300Whspr
Yes. They tend to be stiffer than your average belt and much stiffer than most of the dress belts I've ever encountered. (TBH, your Carhartt 1.5" is likely stiffer than most dress belts I've encountered.) Some even come with an internal stiffener.

Beltman: https://www.thebeltman.net/
A&G Custom Leather: https://agcustomgunleather.com/
Bigfoot: http://gunbelts.com/
Mean Gene: http://www.meangeneleather.com/

That's just a handful of some that I have bookmarked. Virtually every major holster maker, and even the custom holster makers, make their own belts.
Thanks!! I never knew any such things existed... the only ones I had in mind were the big, thick, heavy "cowboy" belts!

If you don't learn something new every day, you're not trying! LOL