The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 29, 2018, 05:11 PM   #76
tipoc

It's a good article by Skeeter and worth reading...

http://www.darkcanyon.net/What's%20T...0For%20You.htm

tipoc
4. Identify your target and know what is beyond it.
Old January 1, 2019, 10:43 PM   #77
the possum

Last week I actually did some woods walking with family. We were in the big woods, along the Kaskaskia River watershed. And ya know what? I didn't have any gun at all; it was rather embarrassing. It was a spur of the moment thing, since the weather was unseasonably warm, and the kids were getting restless cooped up in grandpa's house, and I had just taken my usual gear out of my car to make room for Christmas presents. I did still have a 14" brush knife in the car, which came in handy to help the kids construct a fort out of sticks.

That corridor branches across a significant portion of the state, and all kinds of critters roam through it. I was not worried or anything, but a pistol on my hip (in a caliber more substantial than .22lr) might have provided additional comfort.
Old January 2, 2019, 09:28 AM   #78
unclejack37

Bumming around on my 83 acres in South Carolina I just carried my EDC Beretta Nano, until I crossed paths with a Hog the size of my wife's golf cart. Now I walk around with my either my 9mm 1911 or my Blackhawk 44 mag. Luckily when I rounded a curve in the road I saw mama bear and her cub. As it turns out they were walking away and never saw or heard me but the Blackhawk was at the ready. I'm glad I had it and I'm glad I didn't need it. Since then I carry a walking stick that I bang on trees as I walk just to let everything know I'm coming. I'm getting too old for surprises.
Old January 6, 2019, 06:08 PM   #79
bobn

skeeters dribble pissed me off nearly 40years ago. traded a 6 inch partridge sighted model 19 for the new 624 (44special).
...followed his ranting to sell the bastard child he talked smith and Wesson to make. what a pile of crap. bore size chamber throats twist all wrong for any available ammo or components. threw all his mag rag articles out after that. sorry for the rant. bobn
Old January 18, 2019, 11:16 AM   #80
Red Devil

Trail Gun...?

W/o a rifle/shotgun and worn on the hip:

RUGER Super Single-six .22 LR 5-1/2".

To accompany a rifle/shotgun/bow in an IWB holster, or just as a pack "kit" gun:

High Standard Sentinel 9-shot .22 LR 3".

Red
Old January 18, 2019, 06:23 PM   #81
shooter1911

Very nice, did those black plastic grips come standard on your Single six?
Old January 21, 2019, 05:58 PM   #82
MillCreek

I hike, backpack, mountain bike, XC ski and snowshoe in the wet part of the Pacific NW. My biggest danger would be two-legged predators followed by coyotes, cougar, bobcat and black bear. I have seen all of these in the woods with the exception of black bear. Accordingly, corrosion-resistant .357 revolvers have always been my outdoors carry. For many years, it was a 2.25" Ruger SP-101 with .357 158 grain JSP. I carry 24 extra rounds (two 12 round ammo wallets) with me. Just about a year ago, for the weight savings, I switched to a Taurus .357 Protector Poly. I am now thinking a lot about the Ruger LCRx in .357 with a three inch barrel that was released last month. I would not be at all surprised if I end up buying one.

MillCreek
Snohomish County, Washington USA
Old January 21, 2019, 07:12 PM   #83
Ricklin

I recently acquired my woods walking revolver.

It's an old Hawes from the 1960's, made by Sauer and Sohn. It's a right nice SAA clone. A friend needed money and had guns. It's a .357 6 inch. Love the CCH frame.

It had been sitting for so many years the oil had turned to a glue like substance. The hammer would barely fall due to all the "glue" it also had the cylinder pin very very stuck.
A long soak with penetrating oil got rid of the "glue" and I used a small pair of side cutters to lift the cylinder pin. I just worked the very sharp side cutter blades under the pin and squeezed the handles. Perfect. Not a scratch on the gun. The taper to the blades worked perfectly to lift the pin out of the frame. I was rather proud of my ingenuity on that repair. Once apart it cleaned up beautifully. From the condition I doubt more than cylinder full has been fired prior. I will correct that.

Keep an eye out for these old Hawes single actions, they are well made.
Old January 22, 2019, 10:01 PM   #84
hornetguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter1911 View Post
Skeeter did a lot of great things, but he was never a Texas Ranger.
Yes, you are correct. As I recall, Skeeter had worked for a Sheriff's department, or something like that....

It was Bill Jordan that was in the Border Patrol, was it not? Maybe Charles Askins, as well? I don't remember any of the writers of that time who had been Texas Rangers.
Old January 23, 2019, 12:01 PM   #85
tipoc

Easy to find out about Skeeter...

Quote:
Charles Allan 'Skeeter' Skelton (May 1, 1928 – January 17, 1988) was an American lawman and firearms writer. After serving in the US Marine Corps from 1945-46 he began a law enforcement career which included service with the US Border Patrol, a term as Sheriff of Deaf Smith County, Texas, and investigator with both the US Customs Service and Special Agent in Charge with Drug Enforcement Administration. After his first nationally published article hit newsstands in September 1959, Skelton began writing part-time for firearms periodicals. In 1974 he retired from the DEA and concentrated full-time on his writing
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skeeter_Skelton

tipoc
Old January 25, 2019, 08:27 PM   #86
rodfac

For you younger shooters, Skeeter's writings are well worth your while. If you yearn for the wide open spaces and the comforts of a mountain meadow campfire while your hobbled mount grazes nearby, Skeeter is the writer for you. If it's .44 Specials of the SAA type, Skeeter's your scribe....and if you've ever hankered for a 5" S&W M27, look no farther, Senor Skelton has your thoughts and dreams in his words.

Do yourselves a favor, and read the crusty writings of Skelton, and Jordan, Keith and Askins, Whelen, Harrison and Hatcher; and ask yourself it you could have done as well living in their times, and more, could you have written of it so eloquently.

For me personally, reading those guys' commentary by shielded flashlight in a well shuttered bunker helped me keep my sanity and sense of honor, loyalty, and integrity long ago. Hope you enjoy them as much as I did...and still do.

The best to you and yours, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old January 25, 2019, 08:48 PM   #87
Dobe

It may have been Jeff Cooper who said (paraphrased) if you find a gun you really like, buy three. One to shoot, one to send to your gunsmith, and one for a spare.

I have several P30s. Ione is my dry-fire/range gun. I have over 12K through it, and countless dry fires. I one just like it for carrying. My carry has low mileage.

I also have 3 28-2, and about 5 19-3s. I guess some of these will be inheritance guns as will my multitude of ARs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old February 1, 2019, 11:53 PM   #88
the possum

I just learned that Kel Tec introduced a new pistol in .22 long rifle, that holds 33 rounds in its unique double staggered magazine. It's called the CP33, and is basically a .22lr version of their PMR30 pistol, at least in appearance.
new CP33

At 24 ounces, it's a little heavier than I'd prefer, but may still be an option as a rimfire trail gun. I'm interested in reviews on accuracy and reliability if anybody has seen one.
Old February 4, 2019, 12:29 PM   #89
unclejack37

I didn't go through all the post only the beginning and end. There were a lot of suggestions on reading Skeeter's writings but I don't recall mention of where someone like myself can find those writings, or maybe I should have read the post in the middle before I wrote this. Where can I find the collection of Skeeter's post???
Old February 4, 2019, 01:21 PM   #90
tlm225

Quote:
I didn't go through all the post only the beginning and end. There were a lot of suggestions on reading Skeeter's writings but I don't recall mention of where someone like myself can find those writings, or maybe I should have read the post in the middle before I wrote this. Where can I find the collection of Skeeter's post???
You won't find post from Skeeter here. He was a well known and highly regarded gun writer from the 60's-70's in Shooting Times magazine. Former Border Patrol agent and Sheriff of Deaf Smith County in Texas. Also put out 3 or four books.
Old February 4, 2019, 02:56 PM   #91
tipoc

Quote:
Well aside from his books which you can see here:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...d=HI7FKN0LO7MR

...and can be bought at gun shows and a number of other places, there is also a number of his articles on line here and there that you can see just by googling his name and by going here:

http://www.darkcanyon.net/skeeter_skelton.htm

Have at it!

tipoc
Old February 6, 2019, 07:31 PM   #92
RJM52

..another "old" enjoyer of Skeeter's writings... I actually spoke to him once on the phone when I was in college working for US Customs in Houston. An agent on the border called at lunch time and asked to speak to another agent in the office. After a while the agent came into my office and asked if I knew who that was... I had seen Skeeter's articles before but didn't realize that "Charles" Skelton was who I was talking to. The agent then told me about an hour of Skeeter stories as he had worked with him down on the border...

As to a trail gun, I have carried many different ones from .22 to .41 Magnum. A couple of years ago I finally asked myself the question, what was the purpose of the gun...and it boiled down to self protection from either two or four legged Kritters....so that ended my carrying of .22s.

Favorites are:
S&W 60-10 3", adjustable sights, .357 Magnum...just a joy to carry or shoot.

Taurus Titanium Tracker 4", .41 Magnum... Makes the perfect .41 Special and weighs just a couple ounces more than the 60-10.

Freedom Arms 97 4.25" .41 Magnum..solid as a rock.

Carried in a good belt holster or if I have a backpack/waist pack on then in a Hill People Gear chest pack, it is out of sight but there when needed. Rarely carry more than 15-20 extra rounds. A MTM Ammo Wallet and or a couple of TUFF Products speed strips keep all the ammo together...

Bob
Old February 11, 2019, 12:17 PM   #93
SmellyShooter

My two trail guns are either my 4 inch Taurus 65 in .357 magnum with the first round loaded with rat shot and my heritage arms rough rider in 22lr. I'll pretty much only pull it out and shoot it if something is a direct threat to me or something that is an indirect threat to others around me, particularly children.

-me
Old February 11, 2019, 02:00 PM   #94
tipoc

Quote:
My two trail guns are either my 4 inch Taurus 65 in .357 magnum with the first round loaded with rat shot and my heritage arms rough rider in 22lr. I'll pretty much only pull it out and shoot it if something is a direct threat to me or something that is an indirect threat to others around me, particularly children.
I also find children threatening both directly and indirectly, particularly to my finances. I've never pulled a gun on one though. But I'll think over your approach and see if it'll help any.

tipoc
Old February 11, 2019, 02:23 PM   #95
SmellyShooter

"I also find children threatening both directly and indirectly, particularly to my finances. I've never pulled a gun on one though. But I'll think over your approach and see if it'll help any."

Joke well appreciated.

-me
Old February 11, 2019, 05:43 PM   #96
Hanshi

Okay, a sidearm to have with you when you have no plans, necessarily, to shoot. That suggests a minimum sidearm to me. Something along the lines of a PPK/S .22LR ought to fit the bill. One could go up a bit and include a Colt Diamondback in either .22LR or .38spl. And don't count out an S&W M15 (.38spl), A colt Woodsman Sport Target 4" or even the S&W M18 .22LR. The M15 makes sense as an all around outside carry.

If I feel I might need - rather than not need - a sidearm for some reason, The Ruger BlackHawk .45Colt is always a good choice. Just as good or maybe better is the Kimber Ultra Carry .45acp.

Old February 11, 2019, 05:52 PM   #97
stinkeypete

I recently learned the difference between a “trail gun” and a “kit guns”.

Trail gun: custom ruger .44 magnum
Kit gun: living in the Midwest, this is much more my speed: bearcat or single six .22 lr but I am drawn to the single seven or even ... a 3” Ruger LCRx with .38 specials in it. Is that crazy? I would shoot a lot fewer pine cones as .38 overguns them... but the little thing would drop in the pocket real easy.
Old February 13, 2019, 08:08 PM   #98
Leaf

Well stinkeypete, I think there is an argument in your case (and mine) to make a place for both or maybe even a third in your hiking gear setup, lol. But don't forget you might also need room for booze and food.
Old February 13, 2019, 09:02 PM   #99
ice monkey

Interesting no ones mentioned the 5.7 or the .22 TCM. Both are fantastic candidates by the criteria given. Especially the 5.7. I mean one 20 round mag, and a spare 30 rounder and poof, you’ve got the 50 rounds - and all for less weight than some of the revolvers he quoted.

Perfect!

The 22TCM would weigh more, but stop more too. If I was still hiking like I used to, either pistol would work - though I’d lean 5.7 I think because of weight. But that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t rather be carrying a beautiful 48 in 22MAG or a 66. Practical and sexy don’t always jive.
Old February 17, 2019, 12:22 AM   #100
Red Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter1911 View Post
Very nice, did those black plastic grips come standard on your Single six?
Yep.

And while they would drive me nuts on the .357/6.5", on the .22/5.5" they are very nice.

Red