The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 16, 2019, 01:32 PM   #1
Kaksi

Encore Muzzle loader won’t extract primer

My TC Encore ml won’t extract the 209 primer after the gun is fired. I think it happened after I had some stuck Winchester primers.
I’ve had the thing apart and I can see no means of operating the extractor, so I’m guessing I’ve lost a piece or stripped something in the system.
I’ve asked for a diagram to see if I can figure a fix for the thing, but TC has suggested I send it back for repair.
I’m not opposed to returning it, but have to admit the thing has me flummoxed.

Any help is appreciated.
Old February 16, 2019, 01:55 PM   #2
NoSecondBest

PM me your email address and I'll send you a pic of how to operate your extractor with the barrel off the gun. It's pretty simple.
Old February 24, 2019, 10:37 AM   #3
fourbore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSecondBest View Post
PM me your email address and I'll send you a pic of how to operate your extractor with the barrel off the gun. It's pretty simple.
I am sure the Op will appreciate the help any way he can get it. I do not have an encore ML, but; I did play with one. I though I could push the extractor with my finger on the end of the block. I dont remember now. I am a little curious. Seems like the breach plug removal was a little weird the first time too. I found that for my buddy in the instruction booklet.

Well my reason to post: we can all put photo in our posting with the " go advanced" tab and download a photo. you do NOT need any 3rd part hosting. This forum will host your photo for free. This works out well because you help others than just the OP and the images remain forever. Unlike photo bucket, etc, that can and do disappear over time.
Old February 24, 2019, 11:52 AM   #4
NoSecondBest

Quote:
Well my reason to post: we can all put photo in our posting with the " go advanced" tab and download a photo. you do NOT need any 3rd part hosting. This forum will host your photo for free. This works out well because you help others than just the OP and the images remain forever. Unlike photo bucket, etc, that can and do disappear over time.
I understand that. I also understand that the photo size is limited and if you've used the photo before it gives a message referring to an old post for reference and won't allow you to simply post it again. I found it easier to offer the one person, the OP, the benefit of a photo if he could use it where I didn't have to do anything other than email it to him. My prerogative, my reply. It was easier for me that way.
Old February 24, 2019, 02:25 PM   #5
fourbore

yea, some forums limit file size and then the person has to be able to resize. Your choice and even though I try to be double polite, I hope I did not offend.

Last edited by fourbore; February 24, 2019 at 02:44 PM.
Old February 24, 2019, 04:54 PM   #6
NoSecondBest

Quote:
yea, some forums limit file size and then the person has to be able to resize. Your choice and even though I try to be double polite, I hope I did not offend.
No problem. I would have posted it on here, but it's too much trouble on here. I'm old (really old) and navigating my way through some of the technical stuff just isn't worth it to me. Other sites let me post pics I've used in other posts, or they let you use them at the size they are. I don't mind trying to help someone who's looking for help, I just don't want to have to jump through hoops to do it. No offense taken.
Old February 24, 2019, 08:43 PM   #7
fourbore

I am retired but I dot think I hit the very old level yet. But, I am feeling the effects. I always been computer savy, yet the new phones drive me crazy.

I got carried away in the minutia and never did toss in my 2c on the encore muzzle loader. I like the primer extractor. Nice detail. My friend has the castadin (?) length barrels. I think its 18 or 20 inch. It is very handy, light enough and that primer deal is frosting on the cake. During rifle season he has a 357 max barrel. It does cost a few pesos more than most of the ML guns out there. Even just a barrel will set you back a bunch. Getting past that, is seems a really nice setup.

I prefer the more traditional guns. I can appreciate quality even if not my cup of tea.
Old February 27, 2019, 09:57 AM   #8
Kaksi

I apologize for not commenting back sooner. I appreciate all of the info that has come my way, regardless of source.

I still haven’t had a chance to take my barrel apart, but I have gone so far as to order an overpriced bit of spring metal that I hope will resolve the problem. It arrived yesterday, but house guests keep getting in the way.

If it doesn’t, prying out the primer with my fingers is not a fatal flaw for the Encore.
Thanks to all.