The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 26, 2019, 10:03 AM   #26
Ignition Override

Emphasis might again be needed for what can get overlooked.
*Weaker, Cast steel is used in some of the US-made AKs: those which soon fail the tests on AKOU (2,000 rds., 3,500, not just at the 5,000 rds. 'mark'): I.O., RAS, VKSA, and reportedly the bolt of the C39, otherwise said to be a decent gun.

*Forged, milspec steel always seems to be used in foreign barrels, trunnions, bolts and bolt carriers. These critical components were Not swapped by Century after importation, only some non-critical parts were swapped.

An exception with imports can be lower-grade commercial steel barrels swapped in one or two brands of Hungarian AKs...but Not in my AMD-65 by TGI (has the original milspec barrel etc).

Last edited by Ignition Override; January 26, 2019 at 10:10 AM.
Old February 6, 2019, 04:42 AM   #27
silvermane_1

OP buy a WASR 10/63 you won't be disappointed.
Rugers:SR1911 CMD,MK 3 .22lr 6",Sec. Six '76 liberty .357 4",SRH .480 Ruger 7.5",Mini-14 188 5.56/.233 18.5", Marlins: 795 .22lr 16.5",30aw 30-30 20",Mossberg:Mav. 88 Tact. 12 ga, 18.5",ATR 100 .270 Win. 22",S&W:SW9VE
9mm 4",Springfield:XD .357sig 4", AKs:CAI PSL-54C, WASR 10/63, WW74,SLR-106c
Old February 7, 2019, 02:07 AM   #28
Ignition Override

Do guys only plan to shoot a fairly limited quantity of ammo?
Or do they plan to use 2,500-5,000 (+) rds while they own it?

For the higher round-count users, it can be beneficial to observe the only guy who tests multiple brands of AKs for evaluations of durability.
This is why AKOU is the only comprehensive resource for this type of owner. A huge number of "AK" owners have thanked him for helping them avoid a mistake.

Almost any gun does quite well when brand-new.
Quality and durability won't be revealed (except with some of the I.O. brand) when shooting between twenty and five hundred rds.
Old February 7, 2019, 06:12 AM   #29
silvermane_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignition Override View Post
Do guys only plan to shoot a fairly limited quantity of ammo?
Or do they plan to use 2,500-5,000 (+) rds while they own it?

For the higher round-count users, it can be beneficial to observe the only guy who tests multiple brands of AKs for evaluations of durability.
This is why AKOU is the only comprehensive resource for this type of owner. A huge number of "AK" owners have thanked him for helping them avoid a mistake.

Almost any gun does quite well when brand-new.
Quality and durability won't be revealed (except with some of the I.O. brand) when shooting between twenty and five hundred rds.
Just buy yourself WASR 10/63, no worries and no hassles, the only "caveat" would/might be canted front sites.
Rugers:SR1911 CMD,MK 3 .22lr 6",Sec. Six '76 liberty .357 4",SRH .480 Ruger 7.5",Mini-14 188 5.56/.233 18.5", Marlins: 795 .22lr 16.5",30aw 30-30 20",Mossberg:Mav. 88 Tact. 12 ga, 18.5",ATR 100 .270 Win. 22",S&W:SW9VE
9mm 4",Springfield:XD .357sig 4", AKs:CAI PSL-54C, WASR 10/63, WW74,SLR-106c
Old February 8, 2019, 02:13 AM   #30
TruthTellers

I want to update something I said earlier in the thread. Even at 650 to 750 bucks, a Romanian made WASR-10 is not a bad AK for the money, it's just to me it's not as good a choice over an AR for less. If one wants to get an AK, I can't think of a better AK for as low a price as what a WASR goes for.

It's funny, I was listening to a Q&A episode of InRange for May 2018 and the topic of US made AK's came up and it led to talking about prices for AK's being swayed because the belief is that a good AK is supposed to be cheap. In reality the price for a good AK is closer to that of an Arsenal or even a Valmet. The abundance of the WASR-10's came from them being sold cheap to raise cash for the Romanian gov't, but decades earlier Romania spent many millions of dollars to tool up a factory to make those WASR rifles for military use.

The fact with WASR's was that the person who sold them/exported them didn't pay to have them built; it was like a widow bringing a Luger pistol to a gun store and selling it for $300.

Of course, we all know a Luger is worth more than that, but with AK's, given the lack of interest in them pre fall of the USSR and the Warsaw Pact, there wasn't much interest in them nor were they available. When all the ComBloc guns showed up on the cheap, everyone assumed they were just cheap guns.

No, we just got them cheap and that's the last time in history that we'll ever get something like that.
Old February 13, 2019, 10:13 AM   #31
Rollcrimp1

Save your money buy an Arsenal

Whomever said that AKs are supposed to be cheap invented nothing but a myth. You truly get what you pay for in the AK market and with dwindling quality imports prices will rise. Suggest you look at some of Mishaco You Tube reviews and get some background on the AK before parting with your hard earned money on what can turn out to be junk. Also if you’re going to spend $1000 on an AK, save up a little more and get a Russian built or Bulgarian Arsenal. You won’t regret it!!
Old February 14, 2019, 04:23 PM   #32
Fishbed77

Quote:
Also if you’re going to spend $1000 on an AK, save up a little more and get a Russian built or Bulgarian Arsenal. You won’t regret it!!
Agreed. If you are spending $1000 on an AK, it should be an Arsenal or VEPR.

But there are good sub-$1000 AKs out there. The key is to get a foreign AK made on a factory line that also makes military contract rifles - OPAP, WASR, Saiga (when they show up) or MAK90 (plenty of used ones out there).
Old February 16, 2019, 01:27 AM   #33
Ignition Override

OP/ADClope: I'm 63. Around age 59-60 my SKS "bug" morphed into the AK bug. Have never had any scope or red dot etc on a gun. Zero-rifle or handgun.

Neither ARs nor gun accessories do anything for me, but one can certainly buy a decent AR and a little gear for about $700.

My AKs are all imported: TGI AMD-65, SAR-1 (no WASRs were then avail.), Maadi (Intrac), and Mak 90.
My nice S&W M&P AR never grew on me, was traded for the Hungarian AMD (original matching "chf" barrel, receiver, bolt, bolt carrier, dust cover).

AKs simply have the character, reliability and ruggedness which some people prefer. For others, the AR. We don't know how much time we have left in this world (even young people), so we might as well shoot what we enjoy.

Last edited by Ignition Override; February 16, 2019 at 01:39 AM.