The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 13, 2018, 11:43 PM   #1
Model12Win

STANDARD!

Got my Ruger Mk IV Standard in!

LOVE IT!!!

Guys I bought the Target model as soon as the IVs came out. It was the closest thing to a classic looking pistol in the line, and truth be told I'd have greatly preferred a taper barrel fixed sight Standard model which of course was not available at launch...

See where this is going? Yep, Ruger decided to bring out my ideal model a year or so later, and I'm just now getting around to picking one up. Guys it is a BEAUTIFUL gun and it runs like a Swiss watch!! SUPER fun! Very accurate and has run several different loads without flaw, including some light subsonic CCI ammo.

Compared to my Target, it's night and day, seriously. The Standard is about 7 ounces lighter than the Target, which has a 5.5" bull barrel and the Standard has a 4.75" taper barrel. By comparison the Target feels piggish and ungainly and is certainly a bigger gun and would not make as good a piece for carrying in the field as the lightweight Standard.

Granted the Target probably is better for different loads and competition, but as an everyday plinking companion the graceful Standard is absolutely ideal. Lithe in the hand, trim in weight and dimension, easy on the eyes, and evocative of simpler times, I believe so far that the Ruger Mk IV is the best .22 handgun I have ever owned.

Just thought I'd share guys, my Target is for sale in like-new shape if anyone wants it, I'll cut you a good deal. I frankly have no use for it anymore.

-M12
Old July 14, 2018, 06:51 AM   #2
Spats McGee
Staff

Beautiful! Shoot it in good health.
Old July 14, 2018, 07:06 AM   #3
rodfac

Great looking pistol, Model12. Your pic has got me revv'd up to get one again.

I had one of the early Standards way back in the early 60's, loved it, then gave it away to my cousin who took care of my guns while I was in Vietnam. I once killed a woodchuck at over 60 yards with it...loved the feel of the gun in hand, very similar to a 4" bbl'd Luger that I own.

How's the takedown for cleaning? As I understand it, and remember it from so long ago, it can be a PITA. Is this iteration any better in that regard? Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend what it stands for or get the hell out. Our Freedoms are not free, they've been paid for many times over by heros in uniform. Far better men than I, died that we could be FREE.

USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, An Loc, lll Corps, RVN, 69-70, Vietnam Vet '69-'73

Last edited by rodfac; July 16, 2018 at 07:24 AM.
Old July 14, 2018, 07:33 AM   #4
highpower3006

I am glad to see that they resumed production of the classic, no-frills Standard Automatics. I have a couple of the early Ruger Standard autos and they have been flawless for many years. I don't worry about different ammo types as they function fine with any high velocity ammo from many different manufactures that I have used and as I mostly just use them to bounce cans around, pinpoint accuracy is not a requirement.

You are right in that the lighter weight of the little autos carries better for longer periods while out hiking. When I was young, weight didn't make much difference to me but as I approach 70, less weight, no matter how little, is certainly appreciated.

Top one was made in 1972 and the bottom was made in '75, so both are well over forty years old.
Old July 14, 2018, 07:51 AM   #5
Carmady

Nice score, that's a beaut. Those are my favorite Ruger 22s, in appearance kind of a cross between a Luger and a M3 grease gun.
Old July 14, 2018, 08:32 AM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

I'm still on the MK I. What is that frame mounted lever in front of the trigger guard? Disassembly/reassembly thingy for frame and receiver/side?
Old July 14, 2018, 08:54 AM   #7
Wishoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodfac View Post
Great looking pistol, Model12. Your pic has got me revv'd up to get one again.

I had one of the early Standards way back in the early 60's, loved it, then gave it away to my cousin who took care of my guns while was in Vietnam. I once killed a woodchuck at over 60 yards with it...loved the feel of the gun in hand, very similar to a 4" bbl'd Luger that I own.

How's the takedown for cleaning? As I understand it, and remember it from so long ago, it can be a PITA. Is this iteration any better in that regard? Rod
Night and day.

Eject mag and make sure it's unloaded. Put on safe. Press takedown button behind bolt. Push down barrel and you're done.

Takes all of about 10 seconds to field strip.
Old July 14, 2018, 11:30 AM   #8
rodfac

Thx Wishoot
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend what it stands for or get the hell out. Our Freedoms are not free, they've been paid for many times over by heros in uniform. Far better men than I, died that we could be FREE.

Old July 14, 2018, 11:52 AM   #9
Jdin8455

Beautiful firearm. Like the knife too!
Old July 14, 2018, 07:07 PM   #10
bedbugbilly

I hsve one of the MK III target models with the bull barrel - I like - BUT - the only reason I purchased it (probably 6 or so years ago) was because I couldn't fine a Standard. There's just somethng "special" about the "Standard". I haven't shot 22s since the shortage, but seeing your new MK IV could sue give a fella the "itch". A beautiful handgun! Congrats and enjoy!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old July 14, 2018, 07:38 PM   #11
dgludwig

I paid $37.50 for my Standard model-new! Classic .22 autos useful for about anything except serious Bullseye competition. I'd hate to be without one.
Old July 15, 2018, 06:56 AM   #12
rodfac

Quote:
I paid $37.50 for my Standard model-new!
Me too, in 1965 I think; liked it a lot but the trigger was less than great....and tough to work for the USAF gunsmith on the range. He did get it acceptable however. Rod

Old July 15, 2018, 12:56 PM   #13
Hammerhead

Very nice, congrats.
Had the Mk II 'standard', very reliable, perfect balance in the hand.
Old July 15, 2018, 04:14 PM   #14
Model12Win

Put a 325 round box of Federal Auto Match through the gun at the range yesterday.

0 failures of any kind.

LOVE this gun!!
Old July 15, 2018, 05:09 PM   #15
bedbugbilly

I got off my duff and went to Ruger's site which answered my question about take down design changes - this looks sooooooo much simpler than the MK III - definitely on the "list" now! Check it out . . .

https://ruger.com/products/markIVStandard/models.html

Model12Win - got to wondering after posting last night and admiring the photo of your new Standard - what are the differences or changes they did on the Mark IV over the previous ones?

When I was shooting my MK III target, I never did break it down. I remember seeing posts on the MK IIIs from those that had difficulty doing that, recommendations to watch videos, etc. I'm thinking that once you did it, it wouldn't be bad but never got around to doing it = ammo shortage hit and I just cleaned the bore on mine, oiled it up well and put it away. Is the MK I easier to tear down? Does it take a specific magazine for the MK IV or will MK IIIs work, etc.?

I can't get over how nice that Standard looks . . . the itch is getting stronger!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63

Last edited by bedbugbilly; July 15, 2018 at 05:19 PM.
Old July 15, 2018, 06:03 PM   #16
BBarn

The little Ruger 22 Auto pistols are neat little guns. I tend to prefer the 22/45s.

Old July 15, 2018, 06:55 PM   #17
ttarp

Quote:
in appearance kind of a cross between a Luger and a M3 grease gun.
Looks like the child of a Nambu type 14 and a Luger, favoring the Nambu a bit though. I might have to pick one of these up. Looks great M12.
Old July 16, 2018, 01:24 AM   #18
Model12Win

The Luger-type look was a real draw for sure.

Now I just need a nice leather flap holster for field carry, hoping for one with a built in magazine pouch.
Old July 16, 2018, 07:31 AM   #19
rodfac

Quote:
Put a 325 round box of Federal Auto Match through the gun at the range yesterday.
Model 12, did you run any HP's through it? I've always had feeding problems of one sort or another trying to get them through a .22 Auto.

I have .22 uppers (Marvel, Ciener, & Colt) for my 1911's and a Sig .22 Unit Exchange Caliber for my Sig P226 but all of them occasionally choke on HP's. What's your experience?

And BTW, I found a good Mk ll on GB, last night, won it, and now am in the process of arranging shipment etc. Paid more than I wanted to, but not out of sight...came with an extra mag as well. Guess you could say, you got me back in the buying mode! LOL.

Rod

Last edited by rodfac; July 16, 2018 at 07:41 AM.
Old July 16, 2018, 07:47 AM   #20
ammo.crafter

MKs

Congrats!

Still competing with my MK I and kicking butt with it.

Great guns!