The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 26, 2019, 10:47 PM   #1
AERacing1813

What & How do you carry when you ride the motorcycle?

Hey Y'all, the weather is starting to warm and I'm looking for new ideas as far as carrying on my bike this summer

-I've got a Yamaha MT-09, It's a Hyper naked sports bike, extremely powerful yet comfortable to ride all day long as I'm sitting up fairly straight on it.-

Last year I'd generally carry my G19 Appendix, but it wasn't very comfortable and since then I have sold my Glock's, I was thinking about picking up an Double Action Only revolver for pocket carry this year, maybe a smith 642 or 340? I'm still undecided through on that half... Personally I'd prefer my gun to be on ME rather then the bike, Concealed is preferred as well
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190226_215416.jpg (200.3 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by AERacing1813; February 26, 2019 at 11:02 PM.
Old February 27, 2019, 01:16 AM   #2
AERacing1813

How's ankle carry sound on a motorcycle? Just came to mind, don't see a reason it would be a bad idea, deployment would be similar to other carry methods on the bike I'd imagine
Old February 27, 2019, 01:53 AM   #3
DaleA

You could check out this thread for some information.
https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...ght=motorcycle
Old February 27, 2019, 08:07 AM   #4
David R

I usually carry an LCP or 238 in my jacket pocket.

I crashed one time. Keys in my left front pocket. Dug a hole in my leg and I learned what a Hematoma was. Could not imagine what a glock would do to me if I landed on it.

I find no room for ankle carry and when I get on the bike, my pants pull up and expose it.

Enjoy the ride and be safe.
David
Old February 27, 2019, 08:54 AM   #5
Skans

If I want to carry while riding a motorcycle, I will carry inside jacket pocket, or inside vest pocket.
Old February 27, 2019, 09:07 AM   #6
buck460XVR

I carry a 637 in a weak side ankle holster.
Old February 27, 2019, 10:03 AM   #7
Wag

I used to ride a Hayabusa and carried in the left side pocket of a tank bag. I wouldn't carry on body because of the possibility, however slim, of landing on top of the gun during a crash. Besides, the gear I was wearing made it tricky to even figure out a way to do it effectively.

That meant, of course, that if I were to ever have to pull a gun while riding (and not recommended at all), that I'd have to be proficient left-handed. Also, if I walked away from the bike at a gas station, etc. I'd take the entire tank bag with me and stay conscious of carrying it with the gun as accessible as possible.

Just some ideas to consider.

--Wag--
Old February 27, 2019, 10:39 AM   #8
osbornk

Over the years, I have changed what I carry. I started out appendix carrying IWB a S&W SD9VE and then I changed to a Taurus TCP because of the size. However, I was uncomfortable carrying one in the chamber because of the possibility of it going off if I had an accident or did something stupid. I now carry a J Frame size Taurus 605 DAO 5 shot revolver. I don't change how I carry just because I am on a motorcycle because I think you need to stick with what you are accustomed to.
Old February 27, 2019, 05:37 PM   #9
FoghornLeghorn

I carry a Sig SAS DAK in one of these, when I carry.

5.11 Tactical Push Pack. $59.99
Old February 27, 2019, 10:35 PM   #10
shuvelrider

My riding vest has a cc pocket that I stow my Beretta M-92 into with extra mag. Or, I cc wearing a shoulder holster under my vest for the same pistol and two mags on the opposite side. Also shoulder carry a Smith M-586 with 6" barrel under that vest, if I feel like it. Very comfortable and ride all day without a problem, check out Barsony Holsters.
Old February 28, 2019, 01:46 AM   #11
DaleA

And just for a laugh you might consider these.

https://www.amazon.com/Youve-Never-F.../dp/B01H4TTIRU

https://www.amazon.com/Mens-Read-Thi.../dp/B07CH63NTB

Disclaimer: The above statement is meant for humorous purposes only and does NOT constitute an endorsement of any illegal, immoral or unsafe actions. So there.
Old February 28, 2019, 10:04 AM   #12
Wag

Something else to think about is how you're going to make use of your firearm if you're wearing gloves. Heavier, cold weather gloves can be a problem. Even lighter gloves can be an issue if you haven't trained to shoot while wearing them.

(You DO wear protective gloves when you ride, right?!)

--Wag--
Old February 28, 2019, 11:41 AM   #13
hagar

LCP in inside jacket pocket, SUB2000 in trunk (I have a BMW K1200LTC).

On my Kawasaki ZX11 I sometimes carried my Glock butt forward on my left hip. But in general I feel that trying to shoot from a motorcycle will be an exercise in futility and dangerous to yourself. Use your speed to get out of trouble, and if you must, try to stop and dismount first.
Old February 28, 2019, 11:49 AM   #14
shuvelrider

The last thing I'm gonna do while moving, is trying to put a pistol into play. I carry for when I'm off the bike, at a destination, while traveling on a roadtrip, etc. Hopefully I never need to use what I carry, but bad people can find you anywhere that puts you in a situation.
Old February 28, 2019, 02:16 PM   #15
David R

NO I will not pull my gun while driving!

David
Old February 28, 2019, 03:34 PM   #16
scottycoyote

i have a sport tourer and a sportbike........I have a tankbag i carry all my stuff in and i just switch bike to bike.

I like to take all my stuff off my person and in my bag when i ride because im moving around a lot and paranoid something will fall out of a pocket. When i get where im going ill put my wallet and phone and pistol back on my person.
Old February 28, 2019, 07:45 PM   #17
Mike38

I put everything in my saddlebags, and I do mean everything. Pistol, wallet, cell phone, even change in my front pocket. I'm one of those guys that "Dress for the slide, not the ride." There's something about leaving a permeant imprint of a pistol on my body after a crash that causes me to put it in the saddle bags. That, and the extremely rare possibility that the pistol discharges while I'm sliding / rolling down the road...…
Old March 3, 2019, 06:38 PM   #18
cannonfire

http://youtu.be/tHbh2l9eoHE

Here’s an instance that I’ve heard people talk about using a gun in self defense while on a bike. From what I understand, the rider was not confident in himself to drive at extreme high speeds nor make high speed turns. My point being, being on a bike doesn’t mean you can always use your speed to get away. Of course state laws come into play and the use of a Go-pro makes your defense easier, at least in this case.

Just fruit for thought
Old March 3, 2019, 06:56 PM   #19
David R

What a bunch of bull. Stop the bike, get off. Go a diffrent direction. Turn down another street.
Speed may not always get you away from a bad situation but your brakes can be a big help. When they are next to you, stop suddenly, change directions. Motorcycle can do all that much faster than a car.

Driving at those speeds and on the LEFT side of the raod is just stupid! I have no problem with going fast, especailly in the turns. This was rediculous. Good way to be on the news as another motorcycle wreck.

Common sense is far better than a gun in that situation.

David

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk
Old March 3, 2019, 07:11 PM   #20
cannonfire

While I agree it could have been handled much better, he obviously felt that he was in danger from the driver chasing him. I’m not applauding him for how he handled it, all I was saying that there MAY be a situation where using you’re CCW is necessary.

And if someone may be trying to cause you to wreck, or hit you with the car, why would you get off the bike? That doesn’t make much sense to me. They are trying to hit you already, what makes you think they would stop just because you got off your bike? If you’re getting off to shoot, just remember that your bullets won’t stop a car. You may hit the driver but you won’t stop the car.
Old March 4, 2019, 09:04 AM   #21
David R

The situation was escalating. Get off the bike. Face the dude, keep your helmet on. Riding faster and on the wrong side of the road was putting a lot of people in danger.

Yes it was road rage. The guy on the motorcycle just fed into it. Made the situation worse. What are you going to do, shoot the driver while going down the road? Then who is going to need an attorney?

I have had a few people try to cut me off. Best thing to do is get out of the situation. getting hit by a car intentionally would suck. I can hear the driver now. " I never saw him" "He came out of nowhere". Getting hit while going 70? mph is going to hurt a lot more than a fist fight standing still if it even comes to that. Ever crash at 30 mph? It hurts!

David
Over and OUT
Old March 4, 2019, 12:37 PM   #22
Schlitz 45

Usually I have my SIG P938 in a Crossbreed mini-tuck holster at 4 O'clock but I do have other options
Old March 5, 2019, 03:42 AM   #23
AERacing1813

I've never really encountered a raging moron YET, and I hope that time is still a long ways away. I did scare the living heck out of a lady playing on her phone the other day through, she decided to merge and not check her mirror, resulting in me knocking on her driver window as I maintained a safe distance drifting over as well LOL
Old March 5, 2019, 08:51 AM   #24
David R

Riding down the Mass Pike with my older brother on the back. A jeep was screwing with us. I took off. Zipped up to what ever the bike would do. Left the jeep way behind. My 1978 Hondamatic sputtered. Lost power. We ended up in a pull off.

Here comes the jeep. We got off the bike, kept helmets on. He got out, looked at us and got back in.

Another time was in Rhode Island with my girlfriend on the back. A taxi was coming WAY too close to us like inches. Finally I turned left. He went straight. Girl on the back said he got close once and she flipped him off. Of course this just made things worse for me.

Riding in Ohio on my BMW with matching suit and helmet. Yes I looked a little fruity. Stopped for gas, a few fellows with no helmets and bare hairy chests puffed out came up to me saying "When you going to get a real bike?" "Is that a wale foreskin suit?"

I just smiled. They didn't know I was smiling because I was carrying. I filled the bike and rode away.

Riding through the bad part of Buffalo at 2 AM on a warm summer night. I had heard of folks pushing motorcycle riders over that were stopped at red lights. I slowed down and ran every light.

No need to escalate.

David