The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 24, 2021, 11:38 AM   #1
retfed

.38 Dominion brand Brass?

I "found", digging thru my loading closet, 5 lbs of once fired Dominion (CIL) brand (Canadian Industries Limited) .38sp brass. Looks good. Sometime in the past I tumbled and sized it, I believe.

Any one have any experience with this brand?? It's pure surplus for me so I guess I could always sell it for recycle.

THX

Retfed
Old July 24, 2021, 06:01 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

It's an old brand, but lots of folks used to reload it just fine, so I would go ahead and use it. Try light target loads first, to be sure splits don't develop due to it having been subjected to ammonia vapors or other things accidentally.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 24, 2021, 10:02 PM   #3
Carriertxv

Dominion was a premium brand ammo back in the day. Can’t say what the cases you have are like but I sure wouldn’t be worried about them.
Old July 24, 2021, 10:04 PM   #4
retfed

THX, Unclenick,

I've been lucky, to have a ton of once fired .38 brass in large quantities of several head stamps. So I only load Win brand. Guess I'll put it up for sale. I don't have enough posts on this board, in spite of being a member since June of 2010. But I'm okay on some other boards.

THKS, again,
Retfed
Old July 25, 2021, 11:14 AM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

I've run across the odd box or two of Dominion brass in .30-30 or .308 over the years, never found it to be any different than other brass. It loaded and shot normally for me.

With today's "shortages of everything" market, the brass is worth more (to some reloader) than its scrap metal value.

5lbs sounds like a lot. I'd do a rough sort (tossing out any obvious bad cases) and bag it either in 100 or 500 batches and put it up for sale or trade.

If your local gun shop sells fired brass they'll probably take it, but I doubt they'll give you much, if anything over scrap price.
Old July 28, 2021, 09:23 AM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

This page has some really interesting information on Dominion/CIL.

https://www.canadabrass.ca/blogs/whe...ged/ammunition

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.