The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 20, 2021, 09:39 PM   #51
MarkCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
I have both AR Stoner and C-Products mags for this rifle and they are literally identical other than the name. I have no proof but from what I can tell I’d bet the AR Stomer mags were made for them by C-Products.
I saw several differences in the C-Products mags and the Stoner mags. Actually sent them back and Midway refunded my money no questions.
Old July 20, 2021, 10:24 PM   #52
Geezerbiker

The AR Stoner mags function fine but like I said before, 3 of the 4 don't hold the full 20 rounds. When I loaded them with 15 rounds (just to be consistent) all of them functioned properly. I knew they were cheap when I bought them and I'm going to tinker with them going forward. If I can't figure it out, I'll put a 5 round wood spacer in the bottom and label them for 15 rounds. I bought the first 3 back around November and y'all can guess why...

I'm also looking to buy a couple of Brownells brand stainless 20 round mags to see how I like them. I've always felt that 30 round mags stick to far down and are kinda in the way. It's a personal preference but it's mine...

This first AR sure has been a learning experience... I already like the rifle but I'll like it a lot more when I have it all sorted out.

Tony
Old July 21, 2021, 05:16 AM   #53
jetinteriorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCO View Post
I saw several differences in the C-Products mags and the Stoner mags. Actually sent them back and Midway refunded my money no questions.
Not sure if I was very clear, I was only comparing the 7.62x39 mags, not .223. Other than the color of the follower and name stamped on the base I couldn’t tell the difference.
Old July 22, 2021, 08:49 AM   #54
Geezerbiker

The Stoner AR mags all feed fine. They just won't hold as many rounds as they're supposed to.

I've ordered 2 more mags from Brownells. It'll be interesting to see how they compare...

Tony
Old July 22, 2021, 07:01 PM   #55
jetinteriorguy

Makes me wonder if somehow the springs in the mag are somehow tangled internally so they aren’t compressing properly.
Old July 22, 2021, 09:05 PM   #56
Geezerbiker

I had all 4 of them apart now and I can't see much wrong. Twp of them seemed ever so slightly bent in toward the bottom and the floor plate was tight to slide in and out. By expanding them out by prying out with a screwdriver handle, the floor plates fit better but the springs and followers always seemed OK. The screwdriver handle was just a tiny bit smaller than the opening in the bottom of the mag and was the perfect tool for the job...

I expected to see some obstruction on the bottom of the followers but they're are fine.

I'm looking forward to getting the Brownells mags...

Tony
Old July 23, 2021, 05:44 AM   #57
jetinteriorguy

Stuff like this drives me nuts, I love a good challenge trying to figure out problems of this nature. Maybe try replacing first the followers and then the springs and then both spring and follower from a magazine that works properly to narrow down what the problem is. If this doesn’t work then you’d know it’s the mag body for sure.
Old July 23, 2021, 08:27 AM   #58
MarkCO

Right before the Clinton ban went into effect, I bought 300 aluminum surplus magazines (20s and 30s) for $250. I spent days straightening bodies and feedlips. Then I had them coated with a Teflon based coating. Put in new no-tilt followers, quality springs and new floor plates. Sold them and made a few bucks. I still have 2 of each myself, and they work well, but I do baby them. Aluminum magazine feedlips are sensitive, and while I have a jog and the tool to straighten them, using mags with steel or polymer lips that are less prone to damage is just easier.
Old July 23, 2021, 11:41 AM   #59
HiBC

For the problem described (not accepting full capacity) I ask "What can cause that?"

1)Mag length,or height. Measure/compare

2) Mag width Can affect stack . Measure inside.

3) Spring bind. Fully compressed spring takes up "X" real estate. Wire diameter and number of coils. Poorly formed coils may not compress line to line

4) Follower geometry/size/ design/variation. Its possible (idk) follower and spring must be compatible.

There have been variants of anti-tilt followers. Its POSSIBLE a certain follower requires a certain spring.

5) Some magazines (not necessarily AR) require the spring be oriented and installed correctly. Maybe it can be put in backwards or upside down,
Maybe the spring wire end doohicky has to fit some tab.

Maybe they were assembled with wrong variation or reject followers.

One way to screw up old aluminum mags is to force load 21
Old July 23, 2021, 07:01 PM   #60
Geezerbiker

These mags are steel. I won't buy aluminum mags. I figure aluminum mags wouldn't wear well and how much more can a steel mag weigh anyhow...

The springs clip into the bottom of the followers so they only go in one way. I'm going to investigate this all later. Work has gotten a bit busy and I need to make hay while the sun is shining...

Tony
Old July 26, 2021, 12:19 PM   #61
HWS

Let me guess. The OP has tinkered around with the buffer and spring and found something which does not knock him back on his heels with every round BUT now he has a feed problem. Not every round but once or twice per shooting session, he experiences a jam. Nobody can figure out why and it is driving him crazy. Anyway, this thing happened to me.

After months of thrashing around I found a tiny post on the internet which basically said if you increase the buffer spring strength a corresponding spring strength increase is necessary for the mag spring to chamber those rounds.

I got mag stronger mag springs from MCarbo, installed them, and never looked back. My AR has not failed in two frickin' years, not once. MCarbo claims those springs of their will solve 70% of feed problems. It solve 100% of mine.

No, I do not work for MCarbo but I wish I did. Here is their link.

https://www.mcarbo.com/ar-15-extra-p...ag-spring.aspx

Just try one.
Old July 26, 2021, 01:26 PM   #62
Geezerbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWS View Post
Let me guess. The OP has tinkered around with the buffer and spring and found something which does not knock him back on his heels with every round BUT now he has a feed problem. Not every round but once or twice per shooting session, he experiences a jam. Nobody can figure out why and it is driving him crazy. Anyway, this thing happened to me.

After months of thrashing around I found a tiny post on the internet which basically said if you increase the buffer spring strength a corresponding spring strength increase is necessary for the mag spring to chamber those rounds.

I got mag stronger mag springs from MCarbo, installed them, and never looked back. My AR has not failed in two frickin' years, not once. MCarbo claims those springs of their will solve 70% of feed problems. It solve 100% of mine.

No, I do not work for MCarbo but I wish I did. Here is their link.

https://www.mcarbo.com/ar-15-extra-p...ag-spring.aspx

Just try one.
Try reading the entire thread before jumping to the wrong conclusion next time. Even with a 1 tungsten weight in the buffer and a Wolf extra power spring, it still feeds fine and still cycles vigorously. I'm tied up with work right now so I won't be tinkering with it more for a week or two.

The problem with the mags is that they don't hold all the rounds they're supposed to and if you read the entire thread you would know that...

Tony